Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Front end noise!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 03:10 PM
Default Front end noise!!

I need help, please. I have a 2006 h3 with the adventure package—140k. Never took it off-roads. At about 2k-3k rpm’s I have this resonant metallic vibration when I accelerate. Front end—mostly on pass side. It sounds like a heat shield rattle, but it’s not.

Replaced manifold shield and thought the shield could be slightly off.. I drove the car without the shield to test it—vibration was still there.
Replaced both motor mounts(it did need it but sound is still there), replaced both hubs (left side needed it), replaced crossmember bushing (needed it, used Polyurethane one), replaced steering rack bushings (as a precaution with Polyurethane, but they were fine), replaced trans mount which looked fine. Replaced both bump stops on lower control arm.. What could it be??? Replaced all 4 sway bar links.

Last edited by bsg424; 10-22-2018 at 03:17 PM. Reason: More parts
Old 10-22-2018, 04:54 PM

[QUOTE=bsg424;355445]
I need help, please. I have a 2006 h3 with the adventure package—140k. Never took it off-roads. At about 2k-3k rpm’s I have this resonant metallic vibration when I accelerate. Front end—mostly on pass side. It sounds like a heat shield rattle, but it’s not.

Replaced manifold shield and thought the shield could be slightly off.. I drove the car without the shield to test it—vibration was still there.
Replaced both motor mounts(it did need it but sound is still there), replaced both hubs (left side needed it), replaced crossmember bushing (needed it, used Polyurethane one), replaced steering rack bushings (as a precaution with Polyurethane, but they were fine), replaced trans mount which looked fine. Replaced both bump stops on lower control arm.. What could it be??? Replaced all 4 sway bar links.

I know there are quite a few of these posts but I believe I replaced most of the concerns people wrote.. need more help

Old 10-22-2018, 05:10 PM
DJB

If you have the I5, look for this bracket on the passenger side. One side is attached to the exhaust manifold, the other end is mounted to the bell housing of the transmission. Mine was broken and I chased my tail around in circles trying to find the source of the noise - it was exactly as you describe. I only found it when I was pulling the transmission to replace the balance shaft chain, guide and tensioner. You can see the polished area on the edge where it was rubbing. Going from the horrible grinding noise from the chain and the groaning vibration from the broken bracket to a nice, quiet vehicle was heaven. The GM part number is 12622333, I paid $9.11 for it.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:10 PM

Hey bud,

Following because my 2006 hummer H3, 98K has developed a very similar sound. Around 1900 RPM. Already checked heat shield bolts, all the under body armor, step rails, spare tire, etc. No luck.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by DJB
If you have the I5, look for this bracket on the passenger side. One side is attached to the exhaust manifold, the other end is mounted to the bell housing of the transmission. Mine was broken and I chased my tail around in circles trying to find the source of the noise - it was exactly as you describe. I only found it when I was pulling the transmission to replace the balance shaft chain, guide and tensioner. You can see the polished area on the edge where it was rubbing. Going from the horrible grinding noise from the chain and the groaning vibration from the broken bracket to a nice, quiet vehicle was heaven. The GM part number is 12622333, I paid $9.11 for it.

I do have an I5. Omg I don’t think I ever saw that part before! Thank you so much! Now I gotta try to check it tomorrow.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:40 PM

That sound is so annoying! I checked to make sure the brake lines were secure near the firewall and even followed posts with sounds on drivers side just to double check. I hope that $10 part restores a peaceful ride!

Old 10-23-2018, 10:13 AM

DJB—what year is your vehicle? On one of the sites it says it doesn’t belong to my car. Lol I’m ordering it anyway but just wondering
thanks

Old 10-23-2018, 05:31 PM
DJB

Sorry - 2009. I should have mentioned that.

Old 10-26-2018, 02:10 PM

That is fine, thank you! I kinda figured the year after I found a place which stated—year to part! I appreciate your help! I actually ordered that part anyway—just to see if I can fit it because it does make sense. Worth a try for only $10.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:14 AM
DJB

I had it up on the hoist yesterday, so I took a picture of what it looks like installed. That stud is in the exhaust manifold flange.

Quick Reply: Front end noise!!