PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front end clunk - seems different than other posts

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Default front end clunk - seems different than other posts

2006 H3 Adv Lux, 94k miles. I have an inconsistent clunk when I turn and either hit a bump or get a little body roll. But I cannot feel it in my pedals or steering wheel - I only feel it on the floor. Almost like on older cars when the parking brake cable would rattle around. Ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings are all good. All heims are lubed. Bump stops are showing where but are still in place and functioning. Not sure what else to check? I did not check the steering column since I can't feel it in the wheel, but maybe that is next. Thanks and sorry if I am repetitive - could not find this in the older threads.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Sway Bar links, or sway bar insulators (the rubber grommets the bar goes through the U Bolt clamps)??

Old 01-27-2012, 03:33 PM

Also check the front diff mount bushing. Bolt directly below the front diff. The bushing is a "wear item" and GM only sells the entire mount not just the bushing. I do know of a place to get just the bolt, sleeve and bushings if you need it and are kind of DIY!

Old 01-28-2012, 07:10 AM

Great! Thanks for the help, I will check out both. Tainted, yes I do a lot of my own work so that would be great if you know where I can get the bolt, sleeve and bushing. This is a great forum. Someone here always has an idea to try!

Old 10-23-2012, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by loud pipes
Great! Thanks for the help, I will check out both. Tainted, yes I do a lot of my own work so that would be great if you know where I can get the bolt, sleeve and bushing. This is a great forum. Someone here always has an idea to try!
Loud Pipes, did you ever find out what the problem is? I think I have the same problem.

I've replaced both upper control arms w/ ball joints and both shocks... still there.

The diff bushing on the passenger side looks worn (ordered new one, will be here next week) but the one on the cross member looks ok.

I'm going to try to replace my steering rack clamp tonight and see if that helps.

PLEASE let me know if you have figured this out before I end up replacing the entire front end! It's driving me crazy!

Old 10-27-2012, 05:28 AM

I never did find it because for some really strange reason it subsided. It's become intermittent and it happens less than it did originally. I've got some work to do on the front end (shocks, stab links, bump stops) so I am going to get in there and check it out some more. Did u ever do the steering clamp?

Old 10-28-2012, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by loud pipes
I never did find it because for some really strange reason it subsided. It's become intermittent and it happens less than it did originally. I've got some work to do on the front end (shocks, stab links, bump stops) so I am going to get in there and check it out some more. Did u ever do the steering clamp?
No, I'm waiting on my front diff bushing I ordered to come in before I replace the steering clamp (the steering clamp bolt is difficult to get to with the front axle in place).

I shot this video today to see if there was anything noticeably loose... I don't really see anything other than the bottom shock bushing looks like it's allowing quite a bit of play. Let me know if you spot anything else.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:28 PM

i watched that video 3x and it really looked pretty good to me. I could not pick up anything out of the ordinary. Sometimes that lower shock bolt seemed to have some play, others it looked fine. Tough one to diagnose!

Old 11-05-2012, 05:24 PM

Unless the problem is really bad you're not going to see it in a video. You have to physically get down there and see what parts are worn and loose. If there is a clunk it is very likely sway bar links. Grab on to them and see if you can move them with your hand at all. Should be tight. If there is movement or looseness then they are bad. Same with tie rod ends. Grab with your hand and physically move them. If there is play, replace them. You can also have someone get into the driver's seat and you under the front of the vehicle and watch all the steering components as the other person turns the wheel back and forth at a steady pace. You should be able to see if any of the parts have any play. These tests will show you what is bad. Too hard to see in the video.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:39 PM
Default Update

Alright, here's what I've replaced:
  • Both upper control arms w/ bushings and ball joints
  • both front sway bar links
  • both front shocks (extended ranchos because of the leveling)
  • all front brake pads
  • both the upper and lower intermediate steering shafts
  • both front diff mounts (the ones that the front axles pass through, not the one in the middle)
  • a visibly worn steering rack mount (the one on the passenger side, obviously not the ones built into the rack)

THE CLUNK IS STILL THERE!!!!!!! AND GETTING WORSE! SHOOT ME!

I've checked all 4 tie rod ends and they're fine! All there is left is the rack itself! After hours of staring at the underside of the truck, I'd say there's an 85% chance that's the culprit. I guess I'll just bite the bullet and replace that too!

Have any of you guys had to replace the steering rack?

Quick Reply: front end clunk - seems different than other posts