PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exterior Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 04:56 PM
Default Exterior Door Handles

Hello all!

I've searched through these message boards, Google, Youtube, and Amazon reviews but I still have a question about changing out my exterior door handles. I ordered the correct parts off ebay and I managed to remove the old exterior door handles. My issue is that whenever I install my new handles they do not open my doors; they feel very loose. I am installing door handles for both passenger-sided doors. I tried taking off and re-installing my door handles on the driver side but I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Has anyone else run into this problem? I noticed on a Youtube video in the comment section that someone had to manipulate the "spring" in order to complete the installation correctly. Can anyone help with this issue? Thanks

Old 04-06-2017, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Hello and welcome to HF.

Pretty straight forward.

Follow the instructions here: https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...s-w-pics-9152/

Read the "Some Notes:" part of the OP, I think that is what you are looking for.

Please do not ask "does somebody have the pics, or where are the pics, or how do I see the pics...." The guy that posted them must have moved or deleted the on line photo album he used to post them, they are gone. If you want to post some new pics of what you find out, please do here.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:24 AM

Thank you for your feedback! I previously discovered the link you posted but still struggled to understand the part about the trigger moving upward, how to locate it, and how to maneuver it back into place. If anyone can help me with this process, please feel free to share!

Old 04-08-2017, 12:58 PM

Alas, the problem has been fixed and my handles have been installed!

The cue for the "trigger" object being out of place was accurate; I managed to locate the part above the location it needed to be in order to "catch" the handle. With the assistance of my brother-in-law holding a small flashlight, I felt around for a minute until I had a grip on the "trigger." This was the primary issue with both doors on the passenger side. The front passenger door handle went on easily after the trigger was pulled downward; however, the rear passenger door required a little finagling before the trigger finally caught the handle.

If anyone would like for me to take pictures to explain this process, feel free to ask.

Thank you, Doc Olds for assuring me that this would be an easy fix. It sure was!