Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Exhaust upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 02:28 PM
Default Mine wasn't so easy!

Sounds good, Doc! Glad yours went well. I wasn't quite so lucky.

I installed on Sunday. My fasteners were all rusted, some lightly, some alot. I ended up having to sawzall the collector bolts and the pipe into 4 pieces to get it all out. It went in easy except for the tailpipe, which didn't appear it would go at all until I sprayed the whole thing down as a last ditch attempt, which did it. It must've just been really binding somehow. Oiled up it slid right in place (something almost inappropriate about that statement).

Scrap, except that tiny Flowmaster muffler someone installed before I got the truck.

Old 07-02-2019, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
"Sounds great, not too loud. Like the article below says, a low burble of a note."
Like a fine wine it'll even get better with age. Curious why you went with the Banks as opposed to PCM For Less?

Last edited by Broken Halo; 07-02-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:01 PM

Got the exhaust done weekend before last like I was planning, about an hour to get the old crap off and an hour to install the new Cat Back. Silicone spray is your friend..... smarter not harder. Spray up all the old hangers before you pry off the old system, spray them again and the new ones before sliding the new hangers in the rubber straps.

Basically follow the write up in Four Wheeler. See the slideshow. Sawzall the old pipe in front of the resonator, undo the clamps and remove from hangers. I did it on the driveway, stuck jack stands at the frame just in front of the rear leafs with the rear tires just barely on the ground so the old system could be removed over the axle. That Y pipe came out without much of a fight just some careful maneuvering.

I got a pic of the crushed pipe vs new MagnaFlow replacement piece at home, I'll post it soon. Haven't got to applying the Banks Tune yet, wanted to drive it without for a bit to see what just the exhaust does. Sounds great, not too loud. Like the article below says, a low burble of a note.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/project-v...aflow-exhaust/
Good deal!
I have the same system on both the ALPHA and the CE and really happy with both. Have you considered the header wrap on the crossover? Also, please give us your impression after you play with the program.
Thanks

Old 07-02-2019, 07:07 PM

...Haven't got to applying the Banks Tune yet...
How did you find a Banks tune? According to their website they don't have anything for Hummers. I'm still trying to decide which tuner to go with as well!

Old 07-03-2019, 06:52 AM

I have two AutoMind programmers (#66112). One is used on a 2008 ALPHA X and the other on my CE. Neither one would load when they came out of the box. Jim Moore at BANKS customer service worked with me until I was able to do internet updates that loaded (including the SPORT 87 option that was not previously available). Best customer service you will encounter!
There are a lot of “custom” options once you have the programmer communicating but nothing I have found comes close to just selecting BANKSTUNE.
My ALPHA has a stock tranny with 49K miles and the shift pattern and firmness is outstanding. I think you will be amazed at the overall performance gains.
If you try it, hope all goes well!

Old 07-11-2019, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Update pics.... first is like the opposite of Chubs' pic.... the new MagnaFlow in the box.

The second is a pic of the old system trying to spotlight the driver side crushed pipe that is replaced by the nice fully round MagnaFlow pipe that is set on top.

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust upgrades?-dscn1115_zps46j5yjkg.jpg   Exhaust upgrades?-dscn1116_zpsjnsfqanr.jpg  

Last edited by Doc Olds; 07-11-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:55 AM

So DOC, how do you like the sound?
Loved it on the H3 Alpha before we sold it.
Nice grumble, not too loud until you get on it and no drone.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TAINTER
So DOC, how do you like the sound?
Loved it on the H3 Alpha before we sold it.
Nice grumble, not too loud until you get on it and no drone.
I agree with all of that. Just right.

The I5 MagnaFlow cat back system is actually louder and drones a bit. Took the Kayaks to West MI last summer on the 07, and getting around trucks trying to stay out of the left lane as much as possible was noisy. The wife has already commented on how she likes the Alpha sound much better.

Old 07-13-2019, 01:10 AM
Banned

Best bang for the buck is a MAGNAFLOW CATBACK. The thing that helps most is that it replaces the restrictive “flattened” stock crossover under the transfer case. That alone is worth measurable hp in addition to 3” diameter from the collector, the zero restriction resonator and well designed muffler. Because the full diameter crossover is closer to the transfer case tailpiece, not a bad idea to wrap it in header shield held in place with stainless zip ties.

Old 08-07-2019, 02:03 PM
Default Banks tune

Hey Doc,
Had a chance to play with the tune?
Got the exhaust done weekend before last like I was planning, about an hour to get the old crap off and an hour to install the new Cat Back. Silicone spray is your friend..... smarter not harder. Spray up all the old hangers before you pry off the old system, spray them again and the new ones before sliding the new hangers in the rubber straps.

Basically follow the write up in Four Wheeler. See the slideshow. Sawzall the old pipe in front of the resonator, undo the clamps and remove from hangers. I did it on the driveway, stuck jack stands at the frame just in front of the rear leafs with the rear tires just barely on the ground so the old system could be removed over the axle. That Y pipe came out without much of a fight just some careful maneuvering.

I got a pic of the crushed pipe vs new MagnaFlow replacement piece at home, I'll post it soon. Haven't got to applying the Banks Tune yet, wanted to drive it without for a bit to see what just the exhaust does. Sounds great, not too loud. Like the article below says, a low burble of a note.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/project-v...aflow-exhaust/

Quick Reply: Exhaust upgrades?