PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Maintanance 45K Miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 08:21 AM
Default Engine Maintanance 45K Miles

Guys, is there a scheduled maintanance at 45K miles that would warrant the engine maintanance light to come on? My wife called me saying the light is on and the milage is right about 45K. Wondering if this is due to maintanance or possibly some other issue?

Old 03-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Banned

[QUOTEengine maintanance light][/quote],?? malfunction indicator lamp?

check obd2 for a hint, could be hundreds of things,one is loose gas cap,,,

Old 03-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Raffi76
Guys, is there a scheduled maintanance at 45K miles that would warrant the engine maintanance light to come on? My wife called me saying the light is on and the milage is right about 45K. Wondering if this is due to maintanance or possibly some other issue?
Nope. You need to pull the code.

However, you are close to the standard 50K TB and MAF cleaning. There is noting in the maintenance about these or this increment, but if you have an idle that is getting rough, or have the false stall sensation when stopping, it's what ails ya.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds

However, you are close to the standard 50K TB and MAF cleaning. There is noting in the maintenance about these or this increment, but if you have an idle that is getting rough, or have the false stall sensation when stopping, it's what ails ya.
could it be the belts? they been squeeking a bit for a while now when its wet outside, I meant to have it checked out but somehow it always slips my mind as I do not drive the car that much. However, they been doing this for a while and the light has not come on before. what is the tb and maf cleaning?

Old 03-27-2012, 11:53 PM

Sorry Raffi, I'm going to be brutally honest with you right now.

If you think that someone can diagnose check engine light by your description above or that a squeaking belt can cause the check engine light to come on I'm not sure you are going to grasp a tutorial on MAF and TB cleaning or even be able to get the diagnostic code for the check engine light. There are plenty of threads on these EXACT subjects might want to do a SEARCH.

P.S. There is also a book inside your glove box that will have a "suggested maintance schedule" written in it.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:19 AM

Not to hijack this thread but I contacted the dealership where my Hummer H3 was originally bought from and they told me it was overdue for the 50k service which includes oil change, tire rotation, TC fluid, front and rear diff service, and transmission service for $670. Is that a decent price or bit to high and can I do this stuff on my own fairly easily?? *Note I'm not mechanically inclined besides oil changes small stuff like that...

Last edited by IronmanH3; 03-28-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:54 AM

Way too high, Ironman. My local oil change shop will do both diffs and the TC on my H3 for $30 plus fluids. Transmission fluid change at a transmission shop shouldn't be over $160-ish.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:38 PM

Ok well took it for an oil change today as my free oil changes card they sent me expires end of March and had them read the code. All I was told it says LEAN and could be not enough/too much gas sucked? or too much air being sucked in. They would need to the car for few hours to diagnose. Any ideas on this guys? I found another thread here of someone using fuel injection cleaner, could it help? Also can it be my air filter? put in a green filter almost 2 years ago and not cleaned since, will open up tonight and see. Or could it just be bad gas? we recently changed to a new gas station near us that was newly opened and gas much cheaper but perhaps for a reason.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:29 PM

Well used some sea foam but light came back on, guess will need to take it back to the dealer unless someone has any other ideas? Opened up filter and it seems perfectly clean just looking at it.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds

Ok so I called the dealer to see what my options are, they want $125 diagnostics fee to see what is wrong with the car and then whatever it costs to fix it. The diagnostics fee counts towards repair cost. Is this a fair price or should I try a local repair shop to see if I can save some money. I think if the difference is small I would rather stick with the dealer but if I can save a bunch of money might be worth trying something else.

Quick Reply: Engine Maintanance 45K Miles