PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropping off at the dealer for repairs already

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 05:04 PM

check the spare tire light willnot go off until all tires are at right pressure

Old 03-02-2012, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by HawaiianH3
What year is your H3? If its an 06-07 then the vibration is most likely from all those years of crappy gas! Run some Techron additive in the tank. Whats the mileage? Perhaps who ever owned it before you did not clean/replace air filter as needed and you need to clean your MAF sensor. I had the same vibration in my 06 @ 50k miles and performing the things above made it run like brand new! Oh depending on your mileage some new plugs never hurt.

Its a 2008 with 65,000.... Would a dirty MAF set a check eng light? I don't have a eng light on, but I do have that crappy vibration at idle in Drive. Also a little concerned with the trans ...my RPMs fluctuate when cruising around 60 mph and half throttle, or if I go to pass it just does not feel quite right...again Im just getting used to it and this maybe just how they are.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rampage
Its a 2008 with 65,000.... Would a dirty MAF set a check eng light? I don't have a eng light on, but I do have that crappy vibration at idle in Drive. Also a little concerned with the trans ...my RPMs fluctuate when cruising around 60 mph and half throttle, or if I go to pass it just does not feel quite right...again Im just getting used to it and this maybe just how they are.
Ah ha that fluctuation in the RPM's tell me more that you need to clean up the intake system! Run a bottle of Techron in the tank. Clean MAF (does not always throw a code) but make sure you use MAF cleaner not carb/intake cleaner like I did , clean TB as well with intake cleaner. Changing your plugs will only help to rule that out as an issue as well. Again after doing this to mine now it runs like new. Took about a month and 3 treatments of Techron before it started to just purr like a kitten.
Keep in mind that many folks advised me that it could be a bad selenoid, or a bad cam position sensor, so those could be the issue too but it wasn't for me. Good luck and hope that it works for you.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:21 PM

I agree with most of the posts here. Do the less expensxive but a little labor intensive things first.

-Tectron fuel cleaner (at least 2 tanks)
-Clean the MAF (buy a can of MAF cleaner not carb cleaner)
-Clean the throttle body Iif you don't eant to remove it you can get to a lot of it without removal, but you are there anyway why not clean the entire thing!)

If these do not clear up the issues you have then a good local mechanic might need to be in the mix. The dealer would be my last resort if it is out of pocket.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by hardcharger2064
check the spare tire light willnot go off until all tires are at right pressure
He has an 08 H3, no TPMs in the spare from the factory and the TPM system can olny read 4 TPMs at a time. If you have do a 5 tire rotation then you will want to invest in a 5th TPMs and don't forget to have the tire monkey who is rotating your tires RESET the TPM system after the rotation.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:33 PM

Don't forget about the factory warranty you have left either. Up to 5yr/100,000 powertrain.I think it is smart to find as many issues as you can now while you're covered.
I recently started having the rough idle you speak of as well. The entire inside of my truck was resonating. Idles rough, yet when you accelerate from a stop it goes away immediately and runs like a champ. I first changed out the spark plugs with ac delco iridiums and removed the throttle body and cleaned it. Definitely runs better but still a slightly rougher idle than i was used to(75k). So next i cleaned the maf sensor since i had recently cleaned and oiled my air filter. not much difference.Then i filled up with 89 octane and threw in the big bottle of techron and guess what....my gas light came on earlier than it ever has. 296 miles. ugh! The truck is running really nice for the most part, it's just an unusual idle as of late and bad gas mileage. The Maf sensor at 75k looks like it is on its last leg so i'm thinking this might be the issue. And it's not the cylinder heads in my case just because i have an 06 so refrain from that theory.

One more thing, I changed the spark plugs myself for $35, cleaned the throttle body for free, techron for $7, and i even changed out my front brake pads for $46. Then i filled up with plus gas from chevron for $83!
Good luck, keep us updated. i will most likely replace my maf soon and will report back.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:48 AM

mthood > I would wait another month or so when they change over to the summer blends to see if that has any effect. I think there is a limited amount of improvement you can make when using the winter gas.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Widespread Hummer
mthood > I would wait another month or so when they change over to the summer blends to see if that has any effect. I think there is a limited amount of improvement you can make when using the winter gas.
I think you're right about the gas, i do seem to extra miles out of a tank during the summer months. my foot also seems to get gets heavier when my h3 is running crisp and smooth like it is since the services . that is not helping. Maybe if i wasn't late all the time! The rough idle is here and there now, and when it's not rough it idles smoother than i can remember. Go figure. i feel like if i was able to adjust the idle and raise it from 600rpm where it starts to get a little rough to 750rpm which seems to be the sweet spot the truck would be dialed in. Is there a way to fine tune the idle, like you can on a motorcycle?

Last edited by mthoodh3; 03-03-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by mthoodh3
I think you're right about the gas, i do seem to extra miles out of a tank during the summer months. my foot also seems to get gets heavier when my h3 is running crisp and smooth like it is since the services . that is not helping. Maybe if i wasn't late all the time! The rough idle is here and there now, and when it's not rough it idles smoother than i can remember. Go figure. i feel like if i was able to adjust the idle and raise it from 600rpm where it starts to get a little rough to 750rpm which seems to be the sweet spot the truck would be dialed in. Is there a way to fine tune the idle, like you can on a motorcycle?
Thats exactly what I was thinking...If I could just bump the idle up to 750 it would purrr nice.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Banned

i think your efforts should be to get back to normal. increasing idle speed may just temporarily cover up a defect that will reoccur,at the higher idle. plus you waste gas and,stopped in drive at higher rpm invites other problems. if 750 is good,is 850 better?!!

the "sweet"spot is normal idle speed!!

Last edited by drtom; 03-04-2012 at 11:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Dropping off at the dealer for repairs already