PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door lock issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 02:45 PM
Default Door lock issues

My apologies for the forum faux paws. I've only ever looked at forums and didn't realize I shouldn't comment on an older thread. This is a first for me. Thank you DOC OLDS for educating me.

My second or I guess my first error (chronologically) was the use of WD40. It was all I had available as I was locked out of my truck in a parking lot and someone else offered the WD40.

I recently purchased a 2006 H3 and was only given a single key from the dealer. I was testing a spare key that I had made when I discovered the door did not unlock with either key. I had only used the FOB prior to that. If I lose, damage, or allow the battery to go dead I will not be able to access the truck.The key will turn toward the rear and lock the door, but it will not turn toward the front and unlock. It does not matter if door is open or closed. There are no issues with the ignition and both sides of the key were tried. I can find multiple threads with a owners having a similar issue, but none have answers, expect to re-key the door. I don't want a separate door and ignition key.

I may try to disassemble the door this weekend to conduct a better cleaning on the lock mechanism.

Any other suggestions?

Old 06-15-2018, 09:26 PM

when i swapped doors i had to move the orig to the new door. i couldnt see how to get at it so i pulled the trim panel and cut a 3 sided 5x5 inch hole i could bend out of the way.that you may need to do to pull your lock and take it to a locksmith for repair. ive taken them apart for cleaning but its scary!!

Old 06-18-2018, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Do the easy stuff first.

Lubricate the lock with a spray lubricant, like CRC Power Lube or Blaster Multi Purpose Lube ... Spray it good, let it soak overnight, spray it again, then work the key in the lock to see if it will free up and turn both ways. Spray more.

If that fails, take the door panel off and see if the rods are both connected to the lock mechanism and what happens when you lock/unlock manually from inside.

If that fails, then think about the locksmith.