Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

cv joint noise?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 09:07 PM
Default cv joint noise?

Hi all, Im having this noise coming from driver side front wheel, when steering all the way(70%+) to the right, there's this big clicking/banging noise.

I did a bit of research, seems like it's the cv joint has gone bad. Here's my video when pulling off my driveway. Can anyone help me verify this is cv joint noise? And is this something DIY fixable?

Old 10-24-2019, 09:59 PM

Sound pitch to high for drive axle. Sounds more like steering/suspension noise. Does it make a noise driving down the road?

Old 10-24-2019, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Sound pitch to high for drive axle. Sounds more like steering/suspension noise. Does it make a noise driving down the road?

It only happens when steering 70%+ right, forward or backward. If I drive straight, it doesn't make the noise.

Old 10-24-2019, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by tuesdaytuesday
It only happens when steering 70%+ right, forward or backward. If I drive straight, it doesn't make the noise.
It only makes the noise when moving?

Old 10-24-2019, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
It only makes the noise when moving?
Thats correct. If I park it on the driveway, and turn the steering wheel all the way to the left or right, no noise at all.

Noise only comes up when wheels are rolling and the steering wheel is turned right 70% all the way.

Old 10-24-2019, 11:08 PM
Old 10-25-2019, 07:07 AM

Definitely sounds like the CV is binding.

Old 10-25-2019, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Amazes me. People ask a question about their vehicle and never indicate YEAR and MILES!

Looks like you are turning a bunch more than 70%. Did you do a careful visual inspection of the CV Joints under bright light?

Old 10-25-2019, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Amazes me. People ask a question about their vehicle and never indicate YEAR and MILES!

Looks like you are turning a bunch more than 70%. Did you do a careful visual inspection of the CV Joints under bright light?
Haha I love doc olds responses. I want to make a collection if these and just read them when I'm in a bad mood. First you get slammed, and then you immediately get helped.

Old 10-25-2019, 01:14 PM

I had clanking noises twice from the wheels, once it was the upper control arm which I replaced with a moog. You can test that by raising the h3 and pushing on the top of the tire, if it moves, then bingo.
The other time it was cv joint, and you obviously already know all about that.
Tie rod ends might be worth looking at as well.

Quick Reply: cv joint noise?