Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

CSF radiator replacement for H3/H3T

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 12:01 AM
Default CSF radiator replacement for H3/H3T

Just did a test fit for CSF Radiators in California for a replacement for radiators in all H3/H3T models, covers all engines from 3.5 to 5.4L...love it!

Chromed aluminum with a great polish, built-in trans cooler, smaller & lighter than stock radiator, not a bit of cheap plastic in it, fit right into my son's '07 H3 we used for a test bed.
Stock cap fits tight, chrome overcap made to fit, CNC machined posts for mounting points.

Will be available soon (end of March) thru Gstyle4u.com, somewhere around $500, great price for the upgrade... bolted right in!

Directions for Radiator Replacement as follows, then pics of CSF Radiator...send a note if you have any questions or if I left any details out!

Installation:
1 Drain coolant via lower radiator hose & pull aside, and remove transmission lines from holding clips under fan shroud.
2 Remove upper radiator hose
3 Remove fan shroud (this procedure varies depending on model/engine)
4 Tilt radiator rearward, remove two upper bolts that connect radiator to front condenser.
5 Pull transmission cooler quick-connect clips & pull transmission coolant lines straight out of back of radiator.
6 Use ear plugs to easily stop up trans lines & radiator connections.
7 Separate radiator from condenser & remove radiator.
8 Transfer rubber bushings from lower side posts of stock radiator to new model.
9 Transfer transmission line holding clips from stock radiator to new model.
10 Reverse installation procedure
11 Refill radiator with 50/50 DexCool
12 Check radiator & transmission cooler lines for leaks

Name:  CSFtop_zpsa6ef1784.jpg
Views: 2651
Size:  57.5 KB

Name:  CSF_beside_stock_zps7c800670.jpg
Views: 4107
Size:  102.4 KB

Name:  CSF-installed_lft_zps19404845.jpg
Views: 2744
Size:  59.5 KB

Name:  CSF_leftside_zps22565657.jpg
Views: 3127
Size:  98.7 KB

Old 12-17-2014, 02:22 AM

Pretty freaking fancy.

Chris

Old 12-17-2014, 08:29 AM

Nice, now imagine this thing coupled with an electric cooling fan. This will definitely be added to my mod wish list.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:39 AM

Since that top part isn't plastic, hopefully it will resist the urge to crack. I'm currently on my third radiator for this very problem :-|

Old 12-17-2014, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Hey CB, good news. Is your son still driving the Green 3?

Got a question, is the trans cooler the same as stock, or a bit larger capacity as I hope it would be?

Whenever mine cracks (knock of wood) this is the way I would go. My original plan was to have one built locally with a better capacity built in trans cooler, but ready to buy would be more cost effective.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:01 AM

Doc, not sure what the stock one is (rows). This one has a 5 row cooler.

The installation went pretty darn smooth.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Hey CB, good news. Is your son still driving the Green 3?

Got a question, is the trans cooler the same as stock, or a bit larger capacity as I hope it would be?

Whenever mine cracks (knock of wood) this is the way I would go. My original plan was to have one built locally with a better capacity built in trans cooler, but ready to buy would be more cost effective.
Yes Doc, the Green '06 still lives on!

I don't think the trans cooler is any larger capacity.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:20 PM

This info from manufacturer:

Core thickness - The OEM unit has a 27mm core, CSF is using a 31 mm core with B-tube technology for the cooling tubes running down the radiator.
- This is a 15% increase in cooling capacity, and the tubes themselves are a ~15 increase in surface area compared to normal welded tubes. They are also much stronger than regular tubes. This is the biggest selling point of the CSF High performance line.. No one else is using these tubes.. It makes a 1 row core into the efficiency of a 2-row core, but in the same space.. This also helps with airflow..

Oil cooler - Our oil cooler has been pressure tested to 1.5x time the normal operating pressure, and the additional cooling of the radiator will positively bring down the oil temperatures (as lower temp coolant that flows around the oil cooler will reduce the temps of the oil). You will have lower water temps and lower transmission oil temps (as well as engine oil temps)

CNC machined mounting pin - The aluminum tank + this robust mounting pin will last the lifetime of the vehicle, and take care of the original units biggest weakness of a cracking top tank..

Old 12-18-2014, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by CBphoto
This info from manufacturer:

Core thickness - The OEM unit has a 27mm core, CSF is using a 31 mm core with B-tube technology for the cooling tubes running down the radiator.
- This is a 15% increase in cooling capacity, and the tubes themselves are a ~15 increase in surface area compared to normal welded tubes. They are also much stronger than regular tubes. This is the biggest selling point of the CSF High performance line.. No one else is using these tubes.. It makes a 1 row core into the efficiency of a 2-row core, but in the same space.. This also helps with airflow..

Oil cooler - Our oil cooler has been pressure tested to 1.5x time the normal operating pressure, and the additional cooling of the radiator will positively bring down the oil temperatures (as lower temp coolant that flows around the oil cooler will reduce the temps of the oil). You will have lower water temps and lower transmission oil temps (as well as engine oil temps)

CNC machined mounting pin - The aluminum tank + this robust mounting pin will last the lifetime of the vehicle, and take care of the original units biggest weakness of a cracking top tank..
Excellent info. THANK YOU CB!

Makes you kinda sorta look forward to when the factory radiator cracks, kinda sorta.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:51 PM
rsc

I like the increased thickness and better tubes. Even if capacity is the same, it looks like it would cool better. Looking forward to swapping my radiator out in the spring before the summer heat gets here.

Quick Reply: CSF radiator replacement for H3/H3T