Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Creaking and rattling

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Default Creaking and rattling

Hey guys,
Anyone else have this.
Took the Hummer in to dealers this week. It's an '06 with 18'000 miles. It creaks and rattles like an old shopping cart. Mainly, it sounds like it's coming from underneath at the rear somewhere but sometimes from the front too. Everytime your turning over slightly uneven road ie. when we turn onto our drive it does it.
Hummer's said they found a bag of 4 or 5 wheelnuts in compartment at back and when they took them out the noise stopped. BS............
When we said, "how does that make a creaking sound" and they replied that the mounts and all that stuff make more noise in the cold weather....rubber against metal and all that.
Surely Hummer isn't the only car with rubber against metal. I've never had that on any car especially on a car with the Hummer pricetag !
Any views on this ?
Thanks

Old 01-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Default RE: Creaking and rattling

maybe u have a lemon

Old 01-10-2009, 01:37 PM

hey ukpaul!
funny how you asked exactly the same question as i did couple of days ago!
had my truck on the lift today trying to solve the same exact problems that you are having,dont have the luxury of a hummer garage on the island so do all maintenance with a friend mechanic!
fixed mine temporarely,most of the creaking is coming from the leafspring bushes,cured temporarely with lots of penantrating lube will look for aftermarket polyurathene bushes.
the other creaking and knocking is coming from were the torsion bars go into the frame and keys.not sure on that one but lubed those ares too and truck is good now.
reading up on the forums i see alot of people have had body mount issues and a arm bushes going too.
hope you get yours sorted!

Old 01-10-2009, 02:36 PM

Thanks for that nicos.
I'll check that out. I just hate to have to do it when the dealership should have done it.
But then sometimes thats the only way to get it sorted.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:12 AM

Rattles I have found:

1. The vent in the rear door only snaps in place. When you are parked and you hear a rattle, try turning your A/C fan off and on. If the rattle stops, remove the vent, and add a small amount of calk to the edges of the vent. Use just enough to hold it tight but not enough so you can't remove it later.

2. Under the rear end, just in front of the muffler is a box with fuel houses running to it. It is in a bracket with a metal tab on the bottom that is supposed to hold it tight. Loosen the one retaining nut that holds it in place, bend the tab up to add more pressure or add a rubber shim than re-tighten the retaining nut.

3. The sun roof track in the head liner above the rear seat will also rattle. This is a dealer item.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:11 AM

DH, I will also thank you for these tips.

When I was sitting at a traffic light idling, there was a slight rattle overhead to the rear of the sunroof. I was able to push up on the headliner in close proximity to the light and something snapped and the rattle is now gone.

When you say a dealer item, do you mean a replacement part is required?

Old 01-11-2009, 07:18 AM

Mine was the leaf springs. Jack the H3 up from the frame so the springs are somewhat separated. Spray between the leafs. I used aerosol lithium grease. It hasn't squeaked or moan in over a year.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:29 PM

thanks from me too!
will look into the vent on the rear door.
do you know if aftermarket urethane bushes for the leaf springs are available?
need to change mine after only 10000km,noisy as hell and after closer inspection the rubber has ripped off the tube inside the bushes.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:31 PM

I have a 2007 and I too have some squeaks and squish sounds from the back suspension
I silicone spray every once in awhile, then I just turn up the radio, sic !

Old 01-12-2009, 02:00 AM

the way i see it is when those bushes dry out and brake up,the linkage of the leafsprings become very stiff.
when this happens,the trucks suspension detiriorates and you get all sorts of other noises in the cabin.

Quick Reply: Creaking and rattling