PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB radio tuning... where to go

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 08:33 AM
Default CB radio tuning... where to go

Does anyone know of a place to go to get a CB radio properly tuned?

Old 10-24-2011, 09:11 AM
Banned

not much need to tune the radio itself,just pick a channel. if the antenna is adjustable,unless it is way off it wont make any difference. you can buy an swr meter new or for $2 at garage sales. if you cant do it you can find a ham radio guy,or ham club and get help.
btw its super ez to get a technician license and use repeaters all over the usa and get solid communication for 25-50 miles with low power/hand held walkie talkie radios.
you cant go anywhere and NOT find a repeater!
ham radio possibilities are endless

Old 10-24-2011, 09:27 AM

Like Dr.Tom said not much you can do to tune a radio. You might need a meter to check to see if you antenna is too short or too long for your application. Any truck stops around your area? There will probably be a cb shop nearby and most of these places will have a meter and test your signal for free and let you know what you need to correct your issues if anything.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:01 AM

I picked up a swr meter for something like $5-$10 off ebay the just followed the instructions on the firestik site to adjust the antenna length. I've heard of places that can "tune" your CB - basically add more power and questionable legality, but generally the only tuning you need to do is for the antenna.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:45 PM

thanks guys for the input. i have the swr meter and left it inline and the signal does work okay when im near the highway but im not sure if it could be a lot better. the needle on the swr meter does not move one way or the other so im not sure if its faulty or not. i havent played around with the tuning **** on the end of the firestick antenna either but i may try that first before going to a truck stop or a cb shop. i have a 4 foot antenna located on the spare tire mount so it sticks up above the roof line by about 3 feet so im sure thats okay. if you have any other comments, please post them. thanks again and ill post on here whatever happens to work.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:43 PM

Uh, doesn't sound like you are using the swr meter right, follow these directions: Setting the SWR of Your Antenna© - Firestik® Antenna Company