Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Broken Hood Release Cable - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 11:25 AM
Default Broken Hood Release Cable - HELP!

Hello, I own a 2006 H3. When I went to release the hood the other day to refill the washer fluid, the cable snapped - or I'm assuming it did. When trying to use the release lever under the dash, there is no longer any tension and the hood does not pop. I'm a single female, I can hold my own when it comes to working on vehicles, but I've never had to deal with this. I've checked under the dash and the cable still looks to be attached, but I'm assuming this is the sleeve that the cable is encased in. I looked around online and the only thing I can find is to take the grill off, but even that looks like it would require the hood open. I asked the guys at my local AutoZone and unfortunately the best suggestion they came up with is to "shake it really hard"...knowing this wouldn't work, I did not try this. Can anyone please give me good instructions on how to get the hood open and then what I need to do to replace the cable? Thank you in advance!

Old 03-19-2013, 11:56 AM

Sent you an email

Old 03-19-2013, 12:00 PM

I have an issue where mine does not pop open and I usually have to grab both ends of the hood and pry it open and it usually pops up like it use to when new. Then I can access the lever to open the hood as normal.

I had it serviced one time and worked for a little while. I have bothered to take it back. I may look into correcting this myself one day.

hope that helps.

Dannyo

Old 03-19-2013, 03:36 PM

Danster-You might just need some grease and if I'm not mistaken on either side of the hood area there are two "springy" black ***** that you can twist clockwise or counter clockwise to make the hood more springy. Maybe you just have to adjust yours. Good luck! Blharty- get some needle nose pliers and see if you can see the cable from the front and give it a tug if the other suggestions have not worked yet.

Last edited by Gomer; 03-19-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gomer
Danster-You might just need some grease and if I'm not mistaken on either side of the hood area there are two "springy" black ***** that you can twist clockwise or counter clockwise to make the hood more springy. Maybe you just have to adjust yours. Good luck! Blharty- get some needle nose pliers and see if you can see the cable from the front and give it a tug if the other suggestions have not worked yet.
Those "springy" things are not for opening the hood. Those are there to keep your hood aligned and level.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by skeeter
Those "springy" things are not for opening the hood. Those are there to keep your hood aligned and level.
Yep. Skeets got ya there.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:20 AM

I understand that but they also serve two purposes as it also makes your hood "pop" open as well and as long as you have then both at same level all should be ok. Just trying to help.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Gomer
I understand that but they also serve two purposes as it also makes your hood "pop" open as well
MISINFORMATION!...those are called 'over-slam bumpers', and do NOT pop up the hood. When the release cable is pulled it disengages the detent lever from the fork bolt. The fork bolt pushes the striker assembly upward by means of a high load extension spring, forcing the hood to raise. Oh....and just in-case you may think I don't know what I'm talking about, I've attached a link to a United States Patent I have for a hood latch when I was a hood latch engineer with General Motors.
Patent US5445421 - Dual throat latch assembly - Google Patents

Last edited by Broken Halo; 03-20-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:10 PM

I am having the exact same problem as the original poster. Was there ever a solution that was determined for this issue with the hood release lever/cable?

Old 03-29-2014, 01:47 PM

Mine is broken right now too,but if you cant get it open.....
1...Look through the grill on the drivers side and Chase the cable to the latch.
2... feel where the cable hooks to the latch, there is a slot where you can wiggle the cable out of the spot holding it in place.
3....then tug on the cable and it pops like your release in the cab.
4... open as usual with release lever
Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Broken Hood Release Cable - HELP!