Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

binding when turning

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by kirkthms
the button on my dash says im in AWD or 4hi unlocked ? what button are you talking about

If your brother used 4hi locked or 4low it may still be locked even though it says 4hi unlocked. Some people have to shift from 4hi locked locked to 4hi unlocked while in neutral and some have to back up about 20 ft after putting it in 4hi unlocked to get it to release. Try that and see if it binds afterwards.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:34 AM

just tried and no luck its an 06 with 85k miles think its the shift fork ?

Old 04-27-2012, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by kirkthms
just tried and no luck its an 06 with 85k miles think its the shift fork ?
Yeah, that's what happened to mine.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:24 PM
Default 2008 H3 with same binding issue

I have read that GM replaced the fork in the TC with an aluminum one in 2007 to eliminate this binding issue. I'm having the same problem with mine as described in this post. It acts like its in 4wd high lock but the dash indicates 4wd. Tight turning when the wheel is engaged in a left turn. So I have an 08 H3. If the fork has been replaced... What else could it be?

Old 09-14-2020, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by humdog
first, do you have a "grassy knoll" in your area?, if so drtom has a plan...

my advice is to crawl under the H3, find the T/C, does it have a sticker that mentions adding additional fluid thru the speed sensor hole? is your VIN# prior to 56TDN13E778100102? have you ever driven in 4Lock Hi or Lo on dry pavement for extended periods of time? are you the original owner of this H3? if so, when you call the dealership and they seem clueless about the problem, ask the service manager to talk with the certified Hummer tech, they probably won't let you? there are a couple different ways of tackling this problem, if your the original owner of the vehicle you might get help from GMC, if not you may save $ by avoiding the stealership. if your mechanically minded we can send you the replacement steps needed. that is if you indeed have the dreaded plastic fork.

I know this is an old Thread, but, I have this same issue with binding on left turns. I just replaced the entire front end hub to hub. Cv joint at driveshaft, rack bushings, upper and lower control arms, inner and outer tie rods, end links, shocks, axles, hubs, brakes pads and rotors, front diff fluid, dif bushings, TC fork upgrade, TC proper fluid and level, rear diff fluid, rebuilt transmission. the only thing i can think of that was NOT replaced is the encoder motor. I even did the engine mounts, trans mount and front dif crossmember mount.
So, with all of that info....what's your thoughts on my issue.

Old 09-14-2020, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AutoshopTeacher
I know this is an old Thread, but, I have this same issue with binding on left turns. I just replaced the entire front end hub to hub. Cv joint at driveshaft, rack bushings, upper and lower control arms, inner and outer tie rods, end links, shocks, axles, hubs, brakes pads and rotors, front diff fluid, dif bushings, TC fork upgrade, TC proper fluid and level, rear diff fluid, rebuilt transmission. the only thing i can think of that was NOT replaced is the encoder motor. I even did the engine mounts, trans mount and front dif crossmember mount.
So, with all of that info....what's your thoughts on my issue.
My thoughts are you were AWARE this is an OLD AZZED Thread but dug it up anyway just because you have a question............. then you posted your question in a new thread like you are supposed to. WHY dig up this Old Dog???????????????????????????

Old 09-14-2020, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
My thoughts are you were AWARE this is an OLD AZZED Thread but dug it up anyway just because you have a question............. then you posted your question in a new thread like you are supposed to. WHY dig up this Old Dog???????????????????????????
Well know...I’M NEW TO THE SITE, so how about giving a little slack. So what if the thread is old. But, clearly you found the new thread and still give a hard time.

DO YOU ACTUALLY HAVE INFO FOR ME OR JUST BS TO OFFER?

Old 09-14-2020, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AutoshopTeacher
Well know...I’M NEW TO THE SITE, so how about giving a little slack. So what if the thread is old. But, clearly you found the new thread and still give a hard time.

DO YOU ACTUALLY HAVE INFO FOR ME OR JUST BS TO OFFER?
Here is some info... READ: Old Threads/'Necro-Bumping'