Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Better MPG

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Default Better MPG

Hey all. I'm new to this forum. After reading some threads, it appears that there can be some great advice found here.

Question:

I own a 2007 Hummer H3x. For all those familiar with it, some features include a brush guard, running boards, 18" wheels and a spare tire cover. I was considering removing all of these items, and getting lightweight cast aluminum wheels to replace the stock ones. I would be doing all of these things in an attempt at better MPG. I was wondering if you guys think it would help at all, or not make a difference? Gas prices are at an all time high in my area and it's killing me.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:54 PM

I do not think you will get your money back.
Better try to loose some of your own weight
That has more benefits I think
Hummers and good gas mileage do not go together

Old 08-26-2012, 08:56 AM

The H3 is heavy with or without the accessories you listed. You likely wouldn't notice much if any difference.
Keep it 65 and under on the freeway to realize the best mpgs

Old 08-26-2012, 03:42 PM

Not sure what kind of mpg you are trying to get, but our Hummers are not made for high mpgs.

The only way to cut costs on gas is to park it or vote out Obama this November 6 (if you are in the US.)

Old 08-27-2012, 03:19 AM

Drive down hill there and down hill back.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:52 AM

The lighter the vehicle, the better you'll do, but removing those items you mentioned will probably only gain you 1-2 mpg or so. Search on here and you'll find threads that help you get the most out of your H3. Things like an improved air filter, intake, exhaust and pcm tune will help. Good luck and welcome!

Old 08-27-2012, 12:14 PM
rsc

Originally Posted by Xlr8n
The H3 is heavy with or without the accessories you listed. You likely wouldn't notice much if any difference.
Keep it 65 and under on the freeway to realize the best mpgs
+1
H3 wheels are already pretty light (23 lbs I believe), you would save more with a hwy tire in a 32" size.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:29 AM

No matter what you do, if you gain over 2mpg's you would be lucky.. And you will spend alot of money to get that... Gas is killing me as well, but that is the price we pay to own a Hummer.. Best advice I saw was to downsize your tires to 265/75/16's and street tires at that, and also keep your rpm's around the 2000-2200, which should be in the 60-65mph range...

Old 08-28-2012, 09:15 AM

Agree with the others, removing those items isnt going to do much. I did install a cold air intake and that helped a little but not for the price I paid.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:12 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by bosoxdew
Agree with the others, removing those items isnt going to do much. I did install a cold air intake and that helped a little but not for the price I paid.
Hey there, welcome to the forum, I too joined awhile back and had a few concerns one which was mpg and an issue with the check engine light staying on.
What I found was with the mpg issue was to keep the speed down to 55-65 mph (93km to 108km) on the highway. We just completed a 4000 km trip, 2400 miles, and we traveled through the Rockies where we live, into he interior of the province next to ours and again traveled no faster than 110 kmph,66mph, and averaged 23.4 mpg.
I added Seafoam fuel cleaner which you can buy at the auto store every 3rd tank. Not only did it correct the light issue mentioned before, but also helped with the mpg issue.
Some guys on this forum say that they can not get this with their H3's but I have tracked my costs ever since I got the rig 2 yrs ago when it only had 10,300 miles on it. I also run full synthetic in the engine and drive train.

Hope this helps a bit with your issue, best to you!

Quick Reply: Better MPG