Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Best Trickle Charge Setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 11:58 PM
Default Best Trickle Charge Setup

I’m wondering if anyone has an ideal, least fuss trickle charge setup they use that works well?

right now I have a good trickle charger with a cigarette lighter adapter. I keep it entirely within the car as I park in an underground shared garage. I just lower the window a crack, run my extension cord into the car, plug in the trickle, and do up the window a bit.

I can’t put permanent leads on as I have stinger terminal connectors. Was thinking of maybe routing the AC plug through the firewall into the engine bay and waterproofing it (could connect through the grill) but wondering if that’s worth all the work, or if someone has a better solution.

I don’t drive it all that much anymore, 2,000km/ year now but it’s garaged, warm. So do keep it on the trickle charger continuously.

Old 03-14-2022, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

I have permanent charger leads attached to my Stingers. Just feed the charger wire in the fender, connect and forget.

Deltran Battery Tender Plus. I think I have about 5 of the singles.

Old 03-14-2022, 09:43 AM

How do you connect the permanent leads to the stingers? They looked too small to get under the large metal leads.

where Did you run your leads through?

Old 03-14-2022, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

My Stingers have four points of connection If yours just have one, then strip the wire for the charger, wrap it in with the vehicle cable wire, and tighten.

Just feed the charger wire up through the front driver side fender opening, until you can grab it, then connect to charger wire. The Deltran Battery Tender Plus come with a set of Alligator clamps and another set with small rings.

Old 03-14-2022, 11:32 AM

Ah I see. My stingers are these ones: https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...-SPT53501.html

Where do you run your AC power connection out of? The grill? Like where to plug in the 2 prongs so it doesnt dangle around and bump while driving?

UPDATE: Nevermind. I see what you are saying, you keep the entire charger out of the vehicle and connect only with the quick connect lead. Makes sense. Just my situation is I'm in a shared garage so I prefer keeping the charger in the vehicle. Maybe an on board solution I'll have to look into. Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited by jman1335; 03-14-2022 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-14-2022, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

The wires have the capped built in connector as shown. When not on the charger, the cap goes on the connector and hang down behind the Battery. When I put it on the charger, I remove cap, stick charger wire in through fender well near battery area and connect the charger to the permanent battery charging wires by plugging them together. I have one on cars, motorcycle, and use Alligator clamps for the boat batteries.

You can buy separate connection ends, even a 20' extension wire. My truck sits on the driveway, backed up to the Garage Door, connected to the Battery Tender which is inside the garage using the extension wire under the Garage Door during winter storage.

Old 03-14-2022, 11:46 AM

Ah got it. Makes sense. I was just avoiding having to open the hood every time, which is why I go through the window done up. But ya that wouldn't make sense if you were outdoors.

Was thinking something like an old block heater setup where the AC outlet hangs out the grill, but then that would look like trash. And even if I could get it to sit somewhere behind it it would rattle around, etc. Basically, I have everything housed inside the vehicle (charger, cigarette adapter connection) and just need somewhere to run the ac adapter out of the cabin to outside the vehicle. Right now that's the window. Was fishing around to try and find another opening (firewall to engine bay to grill, behind fender by door our air duct) etc.

Old 03-16-2022, 02:34 PM

I permanently mounted and wired a Schmacher charger under the hood. I just plug an extension cord into the charger pigtail.

Old 03-17-2022, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
I permanently mounted and wired a Schmacher charger under the hood. I just plug an extension cord into the charger pigtail.
You can tell he is a boater, onboard charger set up and all.

Old 03-17-2022, 09:23 AM

I decided I'm just going to do the "failsafe" method I use with my Vette as well....extra long SAE adapter on my Battery Tender, right over the driver seat, out the crack between the driver/ passenger door (fits perfect when the door is closed), into the cigarette adapter. Eliminates needing the window. This way, I always remember to disconnect before driving away!

Quick Reply: Best Trickle Charge Setup