PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 07:47 PM
Default HID headlights

Hi new to the forums, my wife has an H3 and it has the worse headlights of any vehicle ive been in. On high beams they have no distance and low beams meeting traffic terrible. What have you guys done to improve them? Is there an HID kit out there that is recommended? I would prefer a plug and play system. Thanks a lot

Old 10-16-2010, 09:04 PM

I had the Starr HID headlights on my '07 before I traded for the Alpha. Those were the best headlights I ever had.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:17 AM

Whatever, do you remember how difficult tthe install was? What rating were they?

Old 10-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Default H3 Headlights

snappy

I completely concur with you on this subject. Enjoy the heck out of my H3 but the headlights (distance and light dispersal) are dismal. I can turn on the brights and it gives me just enough extra light (low beams on all my other rigs put out more light than the H3 high beams) to see with.

I too would like to see members chime in on this subject.

For me, I would like to hear opinions on standard replacement bulbs that really spread the light out, are brighter than the OEM bulbs, and throw the light further than the originals.

I have not turned the TB's up yet and the H3 sits stock for the moment. Has anyone found that "readjusting" the headlights help with night driving ? Just wondering if I could possibly be miss-adjusted also.

HID's are great, but just a little to pricy for my budget right now with all the other things on my list to do to the H3.

Last edited by Slash x; 10-17-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:01 AM

Be cautious with "upgrade" bulbs. Typically those bulbs have a higher wattage, making them brighter, but sometimes the wiring harness cant handle the extra load. Ive been wanting to do an HID kit, but the headlights are my DRL and I would like to switch em to the parking lamps.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:48 AM

Installed the Starr HIDs in a couple hours. Never a problem in the 3 years I had my 07. Not sure of the actual specs. Tempted to put them in the Alpha...

http://starrhid.com/

http://www.teakatoys.com/Hummer_H3_H...hid-h31001.htm

Old 10-17-2010, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by whatever
Tempted to put them in the Alpha...
Why are you just 'tempted' . For me, that would be a 'no brainer'!! Those are the best thing out there for a TRUE hid upgrade!!
I'd have them myself if they weren't nearly $1000 a pop!

Old 10-17-2010, 01:18 PM

i just put in the starr hid kit in my 08 a couple months ago, theres a little bit of cutting for clearance. The wiring is plug and play easy to understand when you have everything sitting there,only problem i found was with the adjustment you can adjust for vertical only . Now that i got more time im gonna take it all apart again and i need to shim the anchor pins for the headlight housings. My headlights were both pointing in to the middle too much but even without doing this those lights were so much better than the pia bulbs i was using

08 h3x alpha carbon flash

Old 10-17-2010, 02:51 PM

no HID's or aftermarket bulbs here. I just cranked the torsion bars to level out the front end and they're perfect now. Just don't readjust the headlights. Now with the fogs and headlight combo on it's like using brights.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:45 PM

I too am a very happy STARR HID owner.
I have had them for three years and not a single problem.
My advice to Snappy, is to do a "HID headlight" search on this forum and get more info than you are probably willing to read.
I find that people who consider a $900.00 full projection HID headlight upgrade too expensive on a $33,000.00 vehicle some how strange.
I have read for years that people will spend more than three times that on just wheels and
tires. Realistically what does that give you?
The STARR system is something that improves driving and safety at night every single time you go out

Bottom line, Snappy, you decide !

Last edited by wfturner; 10-20-2010 at 04:33 PM.

Quick Reply: HID headlights