PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment/suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 04:19 PM
Default Alignment/suspension question

Just need a more knowledgable opinion.

Just got 2007 H3 last week. Set the torsion to 23.5-23.75. Took to the shop to have 315/75/16 Kumhos installed and alignment.

After alignment, at home, measured 24", up from my setting. Rode like a chuck wagon on a cobble stone road. Since I knew that was too high, and knowing my stock shocks were at their upper limits, I installed new front shocks today. That brought up the front to 24.25 and 24.50 so I torsioned back down to the 23.5.

Question is: should I get realigned? I'm back at where I was (within 1/4") with suspension geometry before I had it aligned. (alignment raised it, then my shock replacement raised it more, so I lowered it back down)

BTW- 38,000 miles on stock shocks. After removal, compressing them fully and letting go, they took 9 full seconds to fully rebound. New shocks take 3 seconds and are 2 inches longer in actual travel. I think they were toast at only 38k... They were ugly anyway...

Front rides like a dream now. Now I can feel the ***-end jarring so they will be next !!!

Old 09-30-2011, 04:30 PM
Banned

shocks cannot affect ride height. if u take them off it will be the same. if the height changed at some point,it was something else,(unless there stuck!!) probably takes a while for t bar to settle, ive read here.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:47 PM

I would wait and see if the front suspension "settles" over the next few days with daily driving. If your front suspension is still the same height after a few days then "I" would have it re-aligned.

I have seen the front suspension "raise" after I have had it on a frame hoist for a few hours. I believe this is due to releasing the "stress" on the t-bars while the rig is supported on the hoist. Mine always "settled" down after driving a day or two. As far as the shocks giving you more lift. That is not something I have experienced. I have swapped out shocks on 3 of ours.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-30-2011, 06:08 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I absolutely got lift from the shocks. I think the stock ones were so worn and weak, that they simply settled at parking. The new ones are not settling due to weakness and hold their stance, so to speak.

Wanted to avoid another $50 alignment for 1/4" change, but I guess cheaper than replacing two 35's come spring...

Regards,

Mike

Old 09-30-2011, 06:26 PM
Banned

shocks cannot affect ride height. if u take them off it will be the same.

sorry ill stick with this.

if you hold a shock with 2 hands,you can move it in and out!! there is nothing in a shock that can support weight,only slow down motion.

some facts just dont change. look elswhere for any changes

Old 09-30-2011, 07:20 PM

Just where do you get this $50 allignment? The dealerships I've gone to have been $100. I was told that only the dealership has the proper allignment machine for the H3's. Just wondering....

Old 09-30-2011, 08:48 PM

Red River 4X4 in McKinney, Tx on 380. The absolute best in north Texas.
Done a number of my trucks over the years. Will work on an alignment for as long as it takes to be perfect, and the only ones I know that can properly balance large wheels. Just wish they did exhaust systems, and life would be perfect !!!

Old 09-30-2011, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by SkinGripz
Wanted to avoid another $50 alignment for 1/4" change, but I guess cheaper than replacing two 35's come spring...
I agree, $50 to save over $1000 in tires is a good call!
I am lucky that I have a very good Firestone close to me with "older" techs that know their alignment stuff. So the Lifetime alignment for $120 was a great deal!

Old 10-01-2011, 10:22 AM

Anytime you mess with the suspension you are going to want to realign it. Even if it was only a little bit, It can translate to alot on the geometry.
And tom, yes shocks will affect your ride height, I don't know where you get all this misc garbage info you state as fact.
Obviously a shock by itself will not support the vehicle weight, working in conjunction with the rest of the suspension a new stiffer shock will lift it, usually 1/4 to 1/2".

Old 10-01-2011, 01:58 PM
Banned

yes shocks will affect your ride height,
and,,2+2=5,,,and the moon is made of green cheese,,and you can believe anything you wish.

i think not.

lets see if anyone agrees with you??.

Last edited by drtom; 10-01-2011 at 02:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Alignment/suspension question