Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Acceleration issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 11:50 AM
Default Acceleration issue

Over the weekend I drove to PA and on my way I had something really weird happen. I was in a construction zone where the speed limit was down to 40 mph and once out of that, when I went to accelerate to get back up to the normal speed, I wasn't getting anywhere above 40. I pressed the gas pedal (not flooring it) and the engine reved up to 4rpm's and dropped fast back down to 2 on the dash. So I pressed on the gas a little more figuring I didn't even budge on the speed I was going and the same thing happened again. Finally the third time I started to gain some speed. All of this was on the highway with no incline whatsoever. I have noticed since then the pick up is a little funny. One time it seems ok and the next time it seems very sluggish. I know I am going to ge the comments to take it to the dealer which I am, but I was just curious if this has happened to anyone else or if anyone has heard of this happening?

Old 09-14-2006, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Acceleration issue

Sounds like the transmission is not engaging properly, or is getting thrown out of gear. Definitely take it to the dealer. I don't think we have heard of that one before

Old 09-14-2006, 03:52 PM

yeah, it's probably a tranny issue.

My truck did something like that once, but it dumped fluid out the vent tube when it did it. Same transmission that the H3 has. Mine got too hot. Later on I had it rebuilt, and beefed up. It's still going strong 6 years later.

This is also the reason we will be getting an Aux. tranny cooler on the H3. Just to be safe.

Old 09-14-2006, 03:56 PM

are you sure you didn't have a highway worker caught in the wheel well? that would slow you down until the tire wore enough of him away to spin freely . . . . . .[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 09-14-2006, 05:26 PM

sounds like tranny but could also be a bad cat. converter. My Jeep just did the same exact thing and finally wouldn't allow the motor to go over 3500 rpm which was around 40 mph. It was doing it off and on for awhile until it finally got so badly clogged that it resticted the motor completly. Does you exhaust note sound the same? If it does then it's probably not the cat but if your exhaust has gotten quieter and may even have a air hissing sound then I would check the cat.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:38 PM

I don't know what happened to your H3, but could you please post what the dealer did to fix it.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:11 PM

ORIGINAL: shortbus

are you sure you didn't have a highway worker caught in the wheel well? that would slow you down until the tire wore enough of him away to spin freely . . . . . .[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 09-14-2006, 06:20 PM

ORIGINAL: ChevyHighPerformance

I don't know what happened to your H3, but could you please post what the dealer did to fix it.

your post says in reply to me, where you asking me or the author of this thread?

i

Old 09-14-2006, 06:39 PM

I will post an update after I take it in. I just talked to my service dept. and he said he hasn't heard of this happening to anyone, but they want me to bring it in to inspect it. I take it in Tuesday so we'll see what happens

Old 09-15-2006, 01:20 AM

I once owned a F350 with an uto. After 62,000 miles the transmission went South. I had it taken apart, and aparently it was training day at Ford when my trans was put together becasue the clutch packs were put together backwards. You may be experiencing a similar issue.

Quick Reply: Acceleration issue