Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

2008 H3 Tail Lamp Assembly Issue - Reward For Solution!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 11:49 AM
Question 2008 H3 Tail Lamp Assembly Issue - Reward For Solution!

I have a 2008 H3 Base L5 and am experiencing issues with the right tail lamp assembly. The tail lamps and backup lamps work normally on both sides works, but the turn signal and brake lamp on the right side do not. Left tail lamp assembly works normally in all functions (tail lamp, brake lamp, turn signal). The bulbs have been replaced, as has the pigtail connector wiring harness connector for the tail lamp. I've traced the wiring harness up the passenger side of the vehicle back to the BCM and there is no visible damage, pinching, exposed wiring, or shorts to ground.

I have swapped out the multi-function assembly on the steering column with an OEM unit. I have gone through the fusebox under the hood with a fine tooth comb, verifying that each and every fuse is intact.

I've even gone so far as to "jump" the wiring from the left lamp to supply the right lamp assembly. I am able to get brake lights then, but the brake lights then stay on until I disconnect the battery from the vehicle, so this clearly will not be a permanent solution. I've also tried running a dedicated wire from the front right turn signal to the right rear tail lamp assembly, but cannot get the turn signal to function still.

The whole thing began when I noticed the "fast flashing" turn signal arrow on my instrument cluster, which 99% of the time is simply a blown bulb.

HELP PLEASE!!!

Old 09-09-2017, 12:00 PM

Old 09-09-2017, 12:57 PM

Old 09-09-2017, 03:14 PM

There is a wiring harness that attaches to the frame/body almost directly under the spare tire and bumper. Visible with the rear door open only. Look down between the truck and the bumper with the rear door open. These wires get frayed and cause all kinds of issues with the rear tail lights. I'm sure someone on here has a better photo of the area I am talking about.

Last edited by TAINTER; 09-09-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:18 AM

That was going to be my suggestion as well. The harness near where the trailer wires are behind the bumper but on top of frame get frayed.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:13 PM

Thanks for the idea TAINTER and BruceS! Here's a photo of my harness when I spotted it between the number and the cargo opening and pushed it down and away from the body of the truck. Now my follow-up questions are (1) what does this harness aupply/what is it called and (2) how do I go about removing it to either repair or replace?

Old 09-10-2017, 03:52 PM

I want my reward! Just kidding.

Detach the harness until you have room to work. My buddy removed the bumper and bad tons of room to repair the harness. Solder, 3:1 heat shrink with glue and then 3M Super 33 tape.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:47 PM

Removed the step pad, bumper and had easy access. Before and after photos below. Glad to have found the wiring abrasion, but after repairing, still experiencing the same with the right tail lamp assembly. Tail lamp works, back up light works, turn signal and brake light do not. Left tail lamp assembly works perfectly.

TAINTER... I'll gladly PayPal someone a little cash if they can get me to a solution and save me a trip to a dealer for diagnosis!

Old 09-10-2017, 05:52 PM

That plug is the factory trailer wiring. Now that you have that fixed double check fuses for the different lights to include trailer lights. Then check the bulb again. It can be inserted backwards. Flip it around.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:39 PM

BruceS.... I confirmed all associated fuses are good, double checked bulbs, reversed bulbs, and checked connections. Same status on each tail lamp assembly.

Quick Reply: 2008 H3 Tail Lamp Assembly Issue - Reward For Solution!