Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

2007/8 H3 3.7L know issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 06:31 AM
Default 2007/8 H3 3.7L know issues?

I read that the 2006 had many known problems such as a leaking roof, transfer case fork, cylinder head and more.

Were all these issues resolved in the 2007 model?
What are the problematic issues in the 2007 model?
If many issues are still present in the 3.7L 2007 model I will make an effort to go for the 2008, but if the 2007 and 2008 are just about equal, I would rather go with the 2007 and use the difference for modifications.

What is most important to check in these models.

Thank you

S. Gill

Old 01-14-2013, 07:06 AM

I have the 06. But from alot of reading on here i have read that the steering is still an issue and i think it is one of the shaft pieces in between column and rack. I assume the rack mounting gear is still a weakness. As well as the sunroof i believe is about the same as 06 models.
Given the choice i would go 08 alpha or adventure. But i didn't have much choice, there weren't many of them around here and the ones there were were 18-30 k for any even base models. I bought an 06 luxury with all the options except for the nav for 12.5 k. Figured pay in cash and don't have payments.
Either way good luck and whichever you get i am pretty sure you will enjoy it. There are lots of knowledgeable people on here and will probably add to the known issues there are.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:30 AM

My 2007 has cracked exhaust manifold.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:36 AM

I have over 100K miles on my '07 with no significant problems to report. Replaced brake pads, battery, MAF sensor, spark plugs - all reasonably inexpensive and routine for the age & mileage. Remember when you hear of all the issues, people generally don't post when they don't have problems. They don't necessarily indicate how common a particular problem is.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:46 PM

Thank you,
So, I assume most (if not all) the early model problems of the 2006 and the 3.5L engine were solved by 2007 with 3.7L engine.
So, there is no real need to go for a 2008.

Any comments?

S.Gill

Old 01-14-2013, 07:07 PM

I would say yes. I had an 07 3.7 with no trouble. Now I have an 08 Alpha and love the V-8

Old 01-14-2013, 07:12 PM
rsc

Not really a problem, but the early year 07's have the door controls in a poor location that was fixed mid-year.

The early 07's up to a certain VIN had the transfer case fill plug in the wrong location for the angle it was mounted and needs a special routine for filling. Not a big deal if you remember when you fill or check it. All the year models seem to have a lot of cracking radiators after 3 or 4 years. The 07 still had the aluminum front diff that may be an issue if you plan to wheel it hard. Other than that, not much comes up as regularly being an issue. Unless you consider the cruddy speakers and lack of a decent Blue Tooth interface that they all have.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:45 PM

Have an 07 with about 58k. Only issue that I thought was strange, went in for an oil change at about 45k miles, came back with a new water pump. Dealer said replaced under warranty, even though I was not aware of any issue, and the 3/36 warranty had expired. Must have had water pump issues?

Old 01-15-2013, 08:27 AM

My 07 has 127k on it... No issues, reg maintance and cleaning of the TB and sensors and it runs like a kitten getting it tuned by a local tuner who will do a custom PCM for me. Can't wait!!

Old 01-15-2013, 10:02 AM

Here's some info from the GM archive that includes outlines of the improvements to the I5 for 2007. The only real change to 2008 was the integrated PCM.

PONTIAC, Mich. - For the 2007 model year, GM's popular midsize trucks - Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon - as well as the HUMMER H3 SUV, feature new, larger-displacement inline four- and five-cylinder engines. The new Vortec 2.9L I-4 and Vortec 3.7L I-5 deliver more horsepower and torque than the engines they replace, giving the vehicles increased performance.

The Vortec 2.9L DOHC four-cylinder with variable valve timing (VVT) replaces the previous 2.8L four-cylinder and delivers 185 horsepower (138 kW) and 190 lb.-ft. of torque (258 Nm).* The Vortec 3.7L DOHC five-cylinder with VVT replaces the previous 3.5L engine and is rated at 242 horsepower (180 kW) and 242 lb.-ft. of torque (328 Nm).*

The 2.9L engine produces approximately 6 percent more horsepower and 3 percent more torque than the previous four-cylinder, while the 3.7L offers a substantial 22-horsepower increase and 17 lb.-ft. more torque than the previous five-cylinder engine. The 2.9L is standard in all 2007 Colorado and Canyon models except 4WD Crew Cab; the 3.7L engine is standard in 4WD Crew Cab models and available on all others. The 3.7L engine is the only engine offered on the '07 HUMMER H3 and H3X.

GM's inline engines meet the diverse demands of midsize pickup and SUV customers. The I-4 engine delivers more power than many other comparable four-cylinders, while the more powerful I-5 offers comparable power and torque to many competitors' six-cylinders.

Increased bore diameter

Both new engines are based on GM's modular inline engine design, which also serves as the foundation for the award-winning 4.2L I-6 in the Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy and Saab 9-7X. They feature dual overhead camshafts, variable valve timing, electronic throttle control and other features that contribute to high levels of operating efficiency and fuel economy. Balance shafts help ensure smooth operation and reduced vibration of the engines, providing a higher level of refinement.

In addition to their larger displacement - delivered through larger, 3.76-inch (95.5 mm) bores - the 2.9L and 3.7L engines feature improved airflow in and out of the combustion chambers, which helps boost power. They also share additional upgrades and changes, compared to the previous engines:

* Larger, 1.52-inch (38.7 mm) intake valves, vs. previous 1.45-inch (37 mm) intake valves
* Larger, 1.32-inch (33.5 mm) exhaust valves, vs. previous 1.18-inch (30 mm) exhaust valves
* Revised camshaft profile optimizes valve lift and duration in accordance with larger valves
* Cylinder head airflow increased to match capabilities enabled by larger valves and revised camshaft
* New, noise-reducing oiling system uses cylinder wall squirter system enabled by a hole in each connecting rod that delivers a precise oil stream onto the cylinder wall beneath the piston
* New aluminum camshaft cover helps reduce noise
* Tighter-clearance balance shaft bushings promote quieter operation
* New, 2-megabyte powertrain control module houses new diagnostic information storage
* New cartridge-type engine block heater, which fits neatly into a specially machined block orifice; for use with available engine block heater.

Additionally, the 3.7L five-cylinder engine has several features that help it meet new BIN 5 emissions requirements, including a larger, close-coupled catalytic converter and A.I.R. system.

VVT-enhanced performance

The new inline engines employ state-of-the-art air-fuel and spark management, including a dual-overhead cam valvetrain, four-valves-per-cylinder, variable valve timing and coil-on-plug ignition. Like the common-design engine blocks, the aluminum cylinder heads for the 2.9L and 3.7L are modified four- and five-cylinder versions of the 4.2L I-6 head. The cylinder head design includes chain-driven camshafts with large sprockets to ease the load carried by the timing chain. Also, a roller follower valvetrain reduces friction to improve engine performance and fuel economy, while reducing noise.

VVT enhances performance and improves emissions by regulating the timing of the opening and closing of the exhaust valves. With VVT, camshaft lobe profiles are selected to enhance power, torque and engine smoothness, and the valve timing is optimized for the camshaft at different rpm levels by the PCM. VVT also eliminates the need for external exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) and contributes to improved emissions. With VVT, the exhaust valves' timing can be adjusted to "retard" the exhaust cam, thereby creating internal EGR. These leftover gases are recycled into the next burn cycle, improving emissions and engine performance.

Coil-on-plug ignition delivers a high-energy spark, contributing to a cleaner, more consistent burn of the air-fuel mixture. The system uses a separate ignition coil for each cylinder, mounted above the spark plug. An electronic engine-sensing spark control system sends energy to the coils, eliminating the need for timing adjustments.

The engines also benefit from numerous quality-enhancing characteristics:

* Electronic throttle control allows the tailoring of throttle position to optimize driveability, fuel economy and emissions control
* Accessories - including a new, 125-amp alternator featuring Regulated Voltage Control - are mounted directly to the engine block to reduce vibrations
* The air intake plenum is constructed with sound-absorbing foam to reduce noise heard in the passenger compartment
* High-mounted starter is shielded from road splash
* GM Oil Life System permits oil-change intervals of 5,000-15,000 miles

The engines also feature an exhaust manifold-mounted, three-way catalytic converter design. Constructed as part of the manifold, the close-coupled converter provides optimum light off (quickly reaches high temperature) to oxidize, primarily, hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide emissions.

Shared traits

The inline engines share much of their design and technology, including dual-overhead cams, four valves per cylinder, variable valve timing (VVT), sequential fuel injection and a coil-on-plug ignition system. Approximately 75 percent of the I-4 and I-5 engines' components are shared with the larger Vortec 4.2L I-6, and about 90 percent of the four- and five-cylinder engines' parts are common. This permits increased assembly efficiency that affords GM greater flexibility in adjusting the production of each engine to meet consumer demand.

The foundations of the engines' design are deep skirt, cast aluminum engine blocks. They are produced with a lost foam process that allows more precise dimensional control, while reducing necessary finish machining in oil galleries, coolant passages and other internal passages. The deep-skirt design places block material below the crankshaft centerline to enhance rigidity of the block, while the lightweight aluminum offers better control of oil temperature, eliminating the need for auxiliary oil cooling. The lighter-weight engine block enhances fuel economy, too, by reducing overall mass.

In addition to superior dimensional accuracy and less need for finish machining, lost foam casting also allows the blocks to be produced with fewer pieces and more complex shapes. Overall, fewer pieces are needed to assemble the engines, and the accuracy of the casting process results in less scrap. And because the dry sand used in the casting process requires no bonding agent, it does not have to be discarded as solid waste. In fact, the sand is re-used for future castings.

At the assembly stage, the I-4 and I-5 engine blocks are fitted with balanced crankshafts and main bearing caps that are designed to add strength and reduce noise and vibration. Also, the engines' oil pans are structural members, contributing to overall stiffness. Both the four- and five-cylinder engines' crankshafts are specially counterweighted for their unique cylinder configuration.

The 2.9L and 3.7L engines are built at GM's Tonawanda, N.Y., engine assembly plant.

Quick Reply: 2007/8 H3 3.7L know issues?