Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

2006 H3 L5 cylinder problem 25K miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:52 AM

I had the same cylinder head issue on my 06 H3, 58,000 miles 2 months ago. Started giving P0302 Code. Changed plugs, coil pack, cleaned MAF & TB, etc..and double-checked before calling GM Goodwill Program provided from this site. GM directed me to a Cadillac Dealership in Chantilly, VA. #5 cylinder leak test revealed 50 percent leakage. Service Manager stepped up to the plate. Replaced with whole new improved cylinder head assembly at NO COST! Treated as under warranty and advised that there wasn't any need for the GM Program as they would take care of it themselves. Acknowledged 3.5 I5 head issue and was professional. Very pro-Hummer! 62,000 so far and no code, misfires, or problems.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:23 AM

Hello Folks,

This is my second post to this forum as a prospective H3 owner. I'm considering the purchase of a 2006 H3 with ~70k miles. Looks to be in good condition and was running well until yesterday when the Passlock system kicked in and prevented the engine from starting. That is being worked on now by the dealer. Assuming that issue is resolved, I will proceed with consideration of buying this H3. In researching the Passlock issue, I stumbled upon this thread and many others like it.

My question for this thread is assuming there are no current code thrown indicating there is a problem, is it worth paying $135 to the dealer to do a cylinder leak test (or other tests) to rule out this issue?

Independent of the PIP3935D issue, does anyone have general advice on what tests to have a dealer/mechanic perform to ensure the H3 has no current issues?

Old 01-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LifeIsGood
Hello Folks,

This is my second post to this forum as a prospective H3 owner. I'm considering the purchase of a 2006 H3 with ~70k miles. Looks to be in good condition and was running well until yesterday when the Passlock system kicked in and prevented the engine from starting. That is being worked on now by the dealer. Assuming that issue is resolved, I will proceed with consideration of buying this H3. In researching the Passlock issue, I stumbled upon this thread and many others like it.

My question for this thread is assuming there are no current code thrown indicating there is a problem, is it worth paying $135 to the dealer to do a cylinder leak test (or other tests) to rule out this issue?
Welcome to the forums.

Here is your first problem, you are digging up OLD threads. Read the old dead stuff, do not necro post in them. https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...bumping-23221/

If you have a question, start a NEW thread.

To rule out if you have the 3.5L built before the switch to hardened valve seats, look at the serial number and ask the dealer for a vehicle history report to see if the head was already changed.

Look at this thread currently on the front page of the H3 board https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...-please-29740/

Old 01-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Default Looking for your solution

Originally Posted by RMPHILLIPS72
Hello,

I have a 2006 H3 with the known cylinder valve leak problem, cylinder 5 for us. GM dealer has run the leak down test and confirmed that we need a new cylinder head. Our VIN falls in the category noted in the PIP3935D for this problem. Only 25K miles on it. I called Hummer customer service who is contacting the dealer. The dealer has offered me a 50/50 repair, $1300 would be our portion. Do you think this is fair?
We also are having this issue with our 06 with 37k miles on it.
Could you please update me with what transpired and if you have the letter that was sent to you could you forward it to me to use with my dealership please. This is driving me crazy, my dealership says the chev canyon that runs the same engine, 3.5l is under recall but not the H3's. Stupid but what can you do?
Please advise and let me know
Thanks

Old 01-08-2013, 10:30 AM
Default Letter for dealer

Originally Posted by Flash
In July GM sent a letter to all its dealers regarding a program that is not getting enough use (per GM) where the dealers write off costs to GM as "good will" expenses. As an example they replaced a persons door hinges after 300,000 miles - free - way past warranty. I recently used this letter with my local dealer when my half shaft separated from the front carrier. I will email you a copy to read and give to your dealer's service manager. Good luck.

edit to add - don't see an option to send you an email and your private message will not allow me to send it to you there either as you have it turned off or have chosen to not receieve them. Contact me if you want a copy of the letter.
Hey Flash
Could you send a copy of that letter to my email? I too am going through this issue, sure would help to have all the ammo to get this fixed. If you can, my email is:
ies@telus.net

Thanks

Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ems191
We also are having this issue with our 06 with 37k miles on it.
Could you please update me with what transpired and if you have the letter that was sent to you could you forward it to me to use with my dealership please. This is driving me crazy, my dealership says the chev canyon that runs the same engine, 3.5l is under recall but not the H3's. Stupid but what can you do?
Please advise and let me know
Thanks
The person you are speaking to joined the forum for a single day over a year ago and hasn't been back since.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:37 AM

...and it's been over a year for Flash as well.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Xlr8n
...and it's been over a year for Flash as well.
Well thanks for the update
Still going to go after GM/Chev about this. Called them here in Canada, they were reluctant to talk to me about this but used the knowledge gained here to prod them into opening up a "file". They then told me the only dealer in my area that can do a diagnosis to let them (GM) know if they will offer any assistance.

Will advise as this proceeds.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:36 AM

Maybe you should look up online and see if there are any recalls for what's happening to your hummy. That's really low miles for that to bar happening to it. I would tell them All or nothing. Bring up the word lemon.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:06 PM

Hello,
I have a the same problem, can you please send me that letter also?
my email address is thecigarguy23@gmail.com
Thanks so much

Quick Reply: 2006 H3 L5 cylinder problem 25K miles