Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

2000 RPM Rattle/Vibration Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 03:42 PM
Default 2000 RPM Rattle/Vibration Noise

Hey guys,

So I researched common causes for this annoying vibration noise from 1700-2100 RPM. Took off the heat shield on the exhaust manifold (the bottom bolt near the O2 sensor has been broken off for some time), but the noise still occurred. I then took off the front skid plates, noise still occurred after that. Checked the heat shield on the exhaust toward the rear of the H3 and one of the original clamps broke off, so I installed a new clamp around it, and that did not fix it either.

The sound seems like it is coming from the undercarriage under the front passenger seat.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to fix this noise?

Thanks!

Old 04-03-2017, 02:41 AM

You have checked everything I can think of except for the resonator/muffler directly under the pass and seats. Had a issue with a price on the inside that came loose. Tap on it and see if you can hear a rattle there.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:22 AM

Check to see if your catalytic converter is shot. Sound travels, also check your jack and tool bag in the rear door. Check bolts for seats. I once had a rattle that I swore was in the front and it turned out being that same, small heat shield that you fixed on the upper loop of the tail pipe.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:08 AM

I found a broken weld on my heat shield as shown in the attached, under the passenger side seat, causing a tinny rattling noise. The 'fix' was a worm gear clamp.

Service Bulletin: Under Vehicle, Heat Shield Rattle (2007-2008 Colorado Canyon) - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum

After that, a new rattle became more prominent, which turned out to be the fan clutch. Replaced water pump, fan clutch, and while it was apart, put on a new idler and tensioner and replaced lower hose. No more rattles/noises.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:40 AM

I just did this same repair with water pump, fan clutch and new idler and tensioner. I am still getting rattles/noises. I'm going to check the heat shield.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:40 AM

I did have the heat shield fixed once before.

Old 12-29-2019, 11:26 AM

Love your truck Paranormal, more pics anywhere?

Old 12-31-2019, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by THertner
Love your truck Paranormal, more pics anywhere?
Digging up 2.5+ year OLD Threads to ask for pics? Oh boy......

Old 12-31-2019, 01:11 PM

Running around kicking everyone, not as saavy as yourself, is like condiscending bullying. You do it to EVERYONE. And god forbid we don't have the same views as you. Would you rather I stay a lurker, or will you lighten up? NO one with any style has your same views. I am being 100% serious right now. Take it or leave it.

Old 12-31-2019, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by THertner
Running around kicking everyone, not as saavy as yourself, is like condiscending bullying. You do it to EVERYONE. And god forbid we don't have the same views as you. Would you rather I stay a lurker, or will you lighten up? NO one with any style has your same views. I am being 100% serious right now. Take it or leave it.

Quick Reply: 2000 RPM Rattle/Vibration Noise