Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

08 H3 I5 - Need Help Replacing Fuel Pump!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 09:49 AM
Default 08 H3 I5 - Need Help Replacing Fuel Pump!

Hello everyone, I have a Hummer H3 that I'm suspecting has a bad fuel pump. I've checked all the fuses and replaces the relays, replaced the ignition lock sensor to "fix" the passlock, and it's not getting any fuel pressure/nor do I hear the pump engaging when I turn the key. It's a very cheap truck so im not concerned about modifying it or spending a lot, and has over 250k miles and nearly on its last legs. I bought a cheap fuel pump to test it and I plan on cutting through the rear floorboards to access the old pump. I'm wondering if anybody has a picture of where the pump would be located under the floor so I have an idea where to cut?

I'd really appreciate any help, I'm also looking for recommendations for what to use to cover where I'm cutting out, I was thinking some sheet metal, some sort of gasket/adhesive/jbweld , and a ton of rivets.

thank you!!!

Old 11-27-2023, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Seriously? I could drop the fuel tank and replace the pump faster than you are going to hack up the interior of the truck to hopefully find enough room to access the pump and fitting from inside.

Old 11-27-2023, 10:13 AM

Is the tank easily droppable on an H3? The reason I was thinking to cut from above, is that I live in the Northeast so I'm worried about the rust on any bolts. I had a Wrangler a couple years ago where to do anything would involve drilling out the bolts and retapping the thread holes.

Old 11-27-2023, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Use Kroil or PB Blaster on the bolts the day before and just before you start. There is not that many. Use a power or air driver and speed up the process.

Old 11-27-2023, 10:53 AM

Thanks, for dropping the tank, whatre some things I should keep in mind as far as where the sensors are, etc. I've never done a fuel pump or dropped a tank before.

Old 11-27-2023, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

The obvious is the tank should be as empty as possible. So if it is not running, syphon out what you can. Follow the vid. Tanks to H3 Humper for making it.

Before you start, look at the fuel tank straps, the rust out and if they look bad, you might want to order new ones before you start instead of breaking one and waiting for the replacement after the fuel pump fix. They are pretty cheap on line if you need either/both.

Last edited by Doc Olds; 11-28-2023 at 09:32 AM. Reason: terrible typing, meant straps are pretty cheap on line
Old 11-27-2023, 12:46 PM

I really appreciate the help! Gonna be attempting it all this weekend so hopefully I can get this truck running again. Then all thatd be left before it gets on the road is either a steering shaft or rack & pinion, but those I shouldn't have issue with

Old 04-13-2024, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
The obvious is the tank should be as empty as possible. So if it is not running, syphon out what you can. Follow the vid. Tanks to H3 Humper for making it.

Before you start, look at the fuel tank straps, the rust out and if they look bad, you might want to order new ones before you start instead of breaking one and waiting for the replacement after the fuel pump fix. They are pretty cheap on line if you need either/both.

@Doc Olds Humper used a Delphi fuel pump… Price difference to AC Delco OE is less than 100 bucks… OE has always been suggested in replacement parts but would this Delphi Pump, be adequate?

Old 04-13-2024, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Any direct fit replacement should work fine. The question with el cheapos is how long/many miles?

The Delphi is not what I would say is an el cheapo. Your call. If saving $100 is important now, how important will it be after failure and doing it again? That’s your decision.

Old 04-13-2024, 08:51 AM

Good Point. As always your advice and guidance is greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: 08 H3 I5 - Need Help Replacing Fuel Pump!