Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

06 H3 Water Leak - so frustrating

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 10:37 PM
Cool 06 H3 Water Leak - so frustrating

So I know most of us had have to deal with the drain tube blockage etc. I've been through it all. I have a very good understanding of the way H3 sunroofs work. My issue is strange...

I have a leak that is on the passenger side (leaks to floor board). I've made sure the drain line is clear. This is what is strange. If I pull the rubber grommet and hose out of the firewall area and run it outside the door and then run water into the sunroof, water flows great and no leakage. But when placed where it supposed to be, I get water that trickles down steadily from the lower mounting bolt of the AC blower fan assembly under the dash. As we all know, there is limited "hand space" in this area, but I do feel water on top of this assembly in places. Is just so hard to get in the area.

OK, so you'd think the grommet has a bad seal, right? Well it doesn't. I've not only felt there is no water, but also endiscoped (camera) it and there is no water coming from the seal. I ran a feed wire through the hole and it ends up in the wiper cowling reservoir.

Let's make this even more confusing. From what I can tell, water going through this hose gets dumped into the wiper cowling reservoir and then drains out through the passenger wheel well. Well.... I can run a hose in this area with more water than any rainstorm would produce and I don't get the leak. So, although it seems like both water coming off the windshield and water from this drain tube hit the same place, but yet I can fill the wiper reservoir and no leak.

Additionally I can say, if all areas are dry it take about 5+ minutes before the leak starts. This tells me that there is an area that is filling up before the leak starts.

Unless someone knows if there is some seal that could be failing (outside of the sunroof drain tube seal) in the same area, my next step is just running the line to a new hole that I would make.

Long winded, but I am really hoping someone can help!

Thank everyone!

Old 08-14-2016, 02:26 PM

Well ya pretty much got it covered.
One thought. Ok may be two.

Antenna base leaking?

The hoses themselves have small cracks or damage?
The hoses have been skewered by a foreign object say such as wire?

Old 08-17-2016, 01:02 AM

Could it be condensation from the air conditioner dripping inside? Just a thought?

Old 08-17-2016, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Have you ever had the windshield replaced?

Old 08-17-2016, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by host134
From what I can tell, water going through this hose gets dumped into the wiper cowling reservoir and then drains out through the passenger wheel well.
??? This is confusing. I wasn't aware that the sunroof drain tubes "dump" anywhere, but rather go from the sunroof frame to their exit (where the dreaded "X" fitting is). It would make no sense for the tube to make an "intermediate" stop, so to speak, into the wiper cowling between the sunroof frame and it's exit.

Last edited by 650Hawk; 08-17-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:44 PM

I thought I had mine fixed, but nope, hard rain and passenger side front filled up, Drains perfectly clear too. not sure where to look now, maybe pull roof rails and seal those bolts

Old 11-12-2017, 07:57 PM
Default Water leak

Okay, guys i need your help, my H3 also has a water leak, i was told by the dealer that it was the drain tubes, cleaned those out and still having the issue, went back and another dealer said it was the windshield, had that changed and still have an issue. So i took it to the place SafeLite where we had the windshield replaced and they took everything apart to see if they could figure it out and if you put water in around the windshield wipers and it stands in there more than a few seconds it runs down in the floor board on the pass side. So somewhere around the heater core box there's a leak. From outside the truck you can't get to it because of the framing, Does anyone know an easy way to get this thing out so it can be repaired? Local dealership wants $1200 to fix it and I think that's just crazy!

Old 11-19-2017, 07:00 PM

Could also possibly be the tube where it is connected at the sunroof as if it came off there it can still let water in but might be like half going in tube and half not or most going in the tube and some not so I would pull down part of the headliner on that side and see if the tube is fully on.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Gomer
Could also possibly be the tube where it is connected at the sunroof as if it came off there it can still let water in but might be like half going in tube and half not or most going in the tube and some not so I would pull down part of the headliner on that side and see if the tube is fully on.

Had the water doctor come by today, he pulled the plastic up top and checked the sunroof. Also checked and said he found a small crack up there that could have caused it somewhat. I'll know more in a couple of weeks if it leaks again. He also said the XM antenna has some white paint on it if it gets wet so they can test it and he fixed that also

Old 12-13-2017, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Gomer
This was my issue. Pulled the headliner and found the tube came apart where it connects to the sunroof. Noticed the tape holding the tube secure to other wires along the windshield pillar separated and let the tube fall. Connected it and zip tied the tube securely and so far so good.

Quick Reply: 06 H3 Water Leak - so frustrating