Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Working under the hood, tools and whatnot

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2022, 04:54 PM
Wink Working under the hood, tools and whatnot

Since my H2 has been temporally (hopefully) parked due to the excessive fuel costs I thought now might be a great time to catch up on some of those maintenance issues I need to address. Since I have had 3 H2's now one thing I know is doing anything in the engine compartment is not fun, my arms need to be about a foot longer and I can never seem to reach what I need to get to.

I know many like to remove the clam shell hood which is just about the only option especially if your working around the radiator. A friend of mine recently purchased a Traxion Topside creeper for his Duramax and raves about it wishing he had bought it many years earlier. Considering we need to work from the side and not from the front this could present a challenge. They do make 2 flavors of it, one with an I beam support and one like an engine hoist with a V support (which might have an issue getting around front tires)

I was wondering if any of my fellow wrench turners have one of these and can relate their experiences using them on their H1 or H2's. Personally, the thought of sitting on top of the radiator support with my legs dangling on each side of the engine is less appealing the older i get. I have done this too many times and my back won't put up with that any more. It seems like being able to comfortably rest your chest on a padded platform and reaching down to do the task might be the better way to go. Any comments pro or con as well as brand recomendations will be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 06-26-2022, 07:44 PM

If you're vertically challenged? I recommend removing the front wheels/tires and dropping down on 4x4-6" wood under the front lower ball joints, whatever it takes, to prevent the brake rotors from hitting the ground.

Old 06-26-2022, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
If you're vertically challenged? I recommend removing the front wheels/tires and dropping down on 4x4-6" wood under the front lower ball joints, whatever it takes, to prevent the brake rotors from hitting the ground.

Love it, great pic. looks like most of the trucks here in New Mexico, low riders, lol

Old 06-26-2022, 08:50 PM