Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

When the gear get stuck and shifter moves freely

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 01:40 AM
Lightbulb When the gear get stuck and shifter moves freely

It happened this Friday on the Florida keys 130 miles away from home in a road to non-where with very little traffic at 9 AM

After hit a bump while making a 3 point to come back the trans got stuck in Drive , Truck turn off and when trying to start it it just shoot off like it was having a short circuit ... shifter moves freely up and down

Well after an inspection on the shifter determined that wasnt the problem .

A quick inspection below the truck shows a pin with a plastic clip holding the bar which runs to the trans and shift ( Driver side just below the door) . The plastic clip was broken in pieces ... Fixed with a rope and made it to home ...

I just want to let you know this part is very prone to break so check it every while ..

Last edited by H2Miami; 08-05-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:13 PM

Very common issue that been posted a lot over the last 6 months across the various hummer forums. Seems to be picking up in pace of reported incidents.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by bflorin
Very common issue that been posted a lot over the last 6 months across the various hummer forums. Seems to be picking up in pace of reported incidents.
I realized this was a common issue due to the fragile plastic clip , I post it to keep it fresh as it may send someone to the towing expenses for just a clip

BTW Autoparts bushing kit doesn't fit to the H2 .

I will go the dealer tomorrow and ask for a better replace for this , maybe metal or any durable plastic ...

If you know any way to fix it , please let me know

Old 08-06-2012, 08:57 AM

Gm wont sell only the bushing for the repair, they sell the whole wire for $100 ish , bad part design and not easy/cheap replacement. Always the same. And dont bother with the autoparts bushing kit , it wont fit

Old 08-06-2012, 12:47 PM

OK As I post it before the plastic bushing that hold the shifter cable to the trans break as I found to be a very common issue I was thinking instead of replacing the whole cable for a OEM new , I will try to fix it and maybe comes even better ...

What do you expert think .

1- Removing the brake
2- remove the link with the small ball
3-attach a screw
4-use a bushing kit from autopart to cover the space between the cable head and the screw , also to make smooth transition for the shift
5-lock nut to hold the cable in place ...

This way even if the bushing break the shifter cable will still be connected to the trans . preventing the truck to got stuck in one gear

Opinions welcome

Old 08-09-2012, 10:37 AM

Replaced cable for the OEM ... Very easy repair , $55 for the part .. Not bad

Old 08-10-2012, 08:38 AM

thanks for the posting, always good to refresh fellow enthusiasts

Old 08-22-2019, 11:33 PM
Default Thank you

Originally Posted by H2Miami
It happened this Friday on the Florida keys 130 miles away from home in a road to non-where with very little traffic at 9 AM

After hit a bump while making a 3 point to come back the trans got stuck in Drive , Truck turn off and when trying to start it it just shoot off like it was having a short circuit ... shifter moves freely up and down

Well after an inspection on the shifter determined that wasnt the problem .

A quick inspection below the truck shows a pin with a plastic clip holding the bar which runs to the trans and shift ( Driver side just below the door) . The plastic clip was broken in pieces ... Fixed with a rope and made it to home ...

I just want to let you know this part is very prone to break so check it every while ..
Thank you for posting this. My H2 just did this to me today but luckily it was parked at home. Went to run out and started the H2 when I put it in gear the shifter moved really easy but the transmission stays in park. I checked the upper connector under the shifter and it’s still connected so now I will check the connection at the transmission tomorrow morning because it’s pouring outside right now and it’s after midnight. My first thought was the shifter cable was broken but before I call my mechanic I will check the under connection first to save some money. I have the skid plate and not really enough tools so I hope I can get to this without having to remove it. I’m disabled and not really mechanically capable of fixing anything serious on vehicles but watched a video and it seemed pretty easy to fix if I can get to it. (2004 H2)

Old 08-26-2019, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by H2 Mike
Thank you for posting this. My H2 just did this to me today but luckily it was parked at home. Went to run out and started the H2 when I put it in gear the shifter moved really easy but the transmission stays in park. I checked the upper connector under the shifter and it’s still connected so now I will check the connection at the transmission tomorrow morning because it’s pouring outside right now and it’s after midnight. My first thought was the shifter cable was broken but before I call my mechanic I will check the under connection first to save some money. I have the skid plate and not really enough tools so I hope I can get to this without having to remove it. I’m disabled and not really mechanically capable of fixing anything serious on vehicles but watched a video and it seemed pretty easy to fix if I can get to it. (2004 H2)
Glad it help .. Notice after 7 years and 50-60k miles the link break again so you want to check it or buy a new one after a while and have it in your truck .

Old 08-26-2019, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by H2Miami
Glad it help .. Notice after 7 years and 50-60k miles the link break again so you want to check it or buy a new one after a while and have it in your truck .
Yes. I had to order the bushing from Autozone so went ahead and got 2 packs so I have 1 spare ready if it happens again. Thanks