PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's my PSI? Please help......

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 11:44 PM
Default What's my PSI? Please help......

I know this sounds like an odd question.

I purchased my H2 with non factory tires on it, but, didn't like the off road tires that it came with so, ended up buying Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ 35 x 12.50 x R 20 LT.

I cannot remember what they put in when they first installed the tires, and I recently had the tires rotated at the dealership, and they supposedly "topped" off the pressure, but, all they topped off with was factory pressure of 42, which I don't think is correct for these tires.

I have looked all around the tires and there does not appear to be any stamping as to the correct pressure, just a maximum load pressure, but, not normal inflation pressure.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:56 AM

Hi

There should be a Cold air Pressure stamped into the outer caseing along with (Born Date) so you dont get some tire that has old rubber that was sitting on the shelf for years.....

it shoud be right tight with the rim for the information on the tire, how many plys, cold and hot pressures and such....

if theres not, (DOT Required) on all tires made in us to be stamped....

Id hit up tire maker and Google tire Pressure for that tire.....

Hope this helps...........Rick H2/H3

Old 10-22-2012, 07:51 AM

Well the PSI on my H3 states 30 psi... I have non stock tires with a 80psi max cold.. What that means is, dont go over 80 psi when the tire is cold, that is its max. Now, I was running mine at 42 in the front and 40 in the back, but I recently switched and run 46 front 45 rear. The H2 is a heavier rig than mine, so if your tires are 80psi or more, I would think more along the lines of 50, but not sure.. Some of our other H2 owners with the Mickeys need to chime in.. Kinda curious myself.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by 2004H2
Hi

There should be a Cold air Pressure stamped into the outer caseing along with (Born Date) so you dont get some tire that has old rubber that was sitting on the shelf for years.....

it shoud be right tight with the rim for the information on the tire, how many plys, cold and hot pressures and such....

if theres not, (DOT Required) on all tires made in us to be stamped....

Id hit up tire maker and Google tire Pressure for that tire.....

Hope this helps...........Rick H2/H3
Thank you.

I looked for this information. What I found was a stamp, and the only thing it mentioned was max load 3195 at 65 psi cold. I am pretty sure they were never inflated at that much pressure, but, I am almost certain they were almost 50 when I first had them installed.

I tried using Google, but, I am not getting very far......

Old 10-22-2012, 11:28 AM

There is an optimal tire pressure formula. You take the max tire pressure listed on the tire times the weight on the tire divided by the max load. So for the tire 65 PSI is the max at 3195. If the weight your supporting here is 2500lbs per tire then you have 65*2500/3195 or ~51PSI. Make sure that 65 cap is correct most tires I've seen in looking for my h2 cap at 50 cpsi and if it isn't correct you could be over inflating the tire and that could lead to a bad day. I've seen people post that to be ideal go hit the truck scales with just the front, then the rear then the whole thing to make sure the numbers add up and use those figures to inflate your tires to the optimal pressure. I just used the numbers in the door for mine.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:44 AM

Is your tire a load range "D" or load range "E"? either way you don't have to run them at full capacity. 65 is very high and your h2 will ride like a brick. I run 10 plys on mine. they usually max out at 80 p.s.i. except in "floatation" sizes like ours. read 35" and up. I run mine at 45 unloaded and 55-60 while towing to maximize heat dissipation and help with rolling resistance. 42 is a little low but the best way to tell is look at the outer edge of the front tire and see if its wearing there at all. if it is, then air is too low.