Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

What issues should we be looking at when buying a new to us H2

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2022, 10:01 AM
Default What issues should we be looking at when buying a new to us H2

Thanks, I posted asking about price differences and now I guess I need to ask- what are the common issues to look out for in the 50,000 to 100,000 mile range? What about the 100,000 to 150,000 mile range?

I know brake lines and some front end parts as expected but what am I missing if anything. How does the transfer case hold up in the all wheel drive, motor mounts, oils pan gaskets, transmission issues, etc….

TIA,

Old 09-12-2022, 10:42 AM

Sort of answered some of this in your other post but I'll get it started.

1. RUST!!!! Check everywhere but especially at the rear, running boards and brake lines (this one especially is problematic, check them all very carefully. You don't want a line blow out while driving, trust me from experience)
2. Body Mounts and Bolts. These will likely be rusted to some level but just make sure they are not to the point of disintegrating
3. Engine Exhaust Manifolds. Both sides. Check the rear bolts as they tend to rust out and easily break off causing a bit of a challenging replacing, i.e. $$$. Less prone in later years but for 2003-05 definitely worth an extra look
4. Oil and Trans Coolers at front of engine bay. You can do a quick visual from grill but these tend to get hammered by rust issues as well.. Typically comes along with #1 above....
5. Battery drain. I have had a couple H2s and always seem to run in to this issue at some point. Could be aftermarket radio, could be fans running after shutoff, etc. Hard to diagnose as part of a presale but worth asking about if you in fact get an honest reseller.
6. Shifter ****. Yes the little plastic push in ****. Honestly a 15-40 repair so probably not worth breaking a good deal but darn thing gets brittle over time.
7. Any signs of water leak at the front footwells or metals in the front. Check the marker light on roof for cracks, etc. Water intrusion in H2s is another common and big issue typically from poor seals on the roof marker lights. If not addressed it can cause rust and electrical issues on the inside.
8. Airbag Suspension. If standard check that it works and looks in good condition. Check compressor under rear again for signs of excessive rust. If its been removed has the "bits" been removed and the fuse removed to avoid trigger check engine light?
9. One that I wouldn't have given much thought to before but the older these get the hard the parts are to get and more expensive... The interior plastics... Check the doors front and rear, dash, everything plastic inside for condition and cracks. Trust me replacing these is super stupid expensive right now.... Again the specific H2 parts only on the Hummers are getting expensive.
10. ScanTool to check for codes and history. Most dealerships will clear all history but person to person you may find some insight. These can get pretty check on Amazon. Just scanner you don't need the bidirectional stuff unless you want to sink your teeth in to the truck in the future. I have a Bluedriver one that plugs in and Bluetooths to phone. Gets the job done to troubleshoot.

My top 10 for buying quick looks... This in addition to the obvious mechanical stuff like is it leaking oil, smoking, hard starting, the what I think are obvious things.

Old 09-13-2022, 06:29 AM

Thanks, I am fairly handy and I did go to school to work on cars. — The school of hard knocks and the university of stupid mistakes that I get to fix now. Lol. I learn fairly easy and lots of stuff makes sense but I am not well enough” edumacated” to now the unique issues with every vehicle. So thanks for the insight, I would not have thought about the compressor. There is one for sale online that has a engine bay picture that shows the rusty cooler for Tran or something. It stands out like a sore thumb, wasn’t for sure what it was for but I did know it was not supposed to look like that.

Thanks again.

Old 09-13-2022, 08:03 AM

Post the links to the one that you are looking at it and we can critique it for you. We love to help other people spend money.

Old 09-13-2022, 08:57 AM

BUY one from the south that has lived its life there. It IS cheaper to fly down & drive back then it is to ever think you will repair all the salt damage. I have owned 4 H2's & 1 H3. I currently own a pristine (southern lived) 2006 H2 limited edition in fusion orange. My first was a 2003 I bought in 2005 in NY state- geezus, that one was rusted just in 2 years from New England salt. I also lived in NH (12 miles from the Canadian border) I had a H2 there that stayed in winter storage (was from Florida) and a H3 as a daily driver.... again rusted to hell under it. Rusted brake lines -etc.
DO NOT BUY ONE THAT HAS LIVED IN THE NORTHEAST, You cannot undue what has been done..... There are a bunch of very nice H2's in Texas, Florida, Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama...etc.

Also you can replace the seat leather fairly easy.
Exhaust manifold bolts - I would bet at least one snapped.
This site has a wealth of info- buy one in great rust free unmolested/no accidents with original paint - Mechanicals you can easily fix is all GM... RUST FREE ORIGINAL BODY & INTERIOR.. if very nice - Buy it.

Thats my 2 cents....

Old 09-13-2022, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Chrmer3
BUY one from the south that has lived its life there. It IS cheaper to fly down & drive back then it is to ever think you will repair all the salt damage. I have owned 4 H2's & 1 H3. I currently own a pristine (southern lived) 2006 H2 limited edition in fusion orange. My first was a 2003 I bought in 2005 in NY state- geezus, that one was rusted just in 2 years from New England salt. I also lived in NH (12 miles from the Canadian border) I had a H2 there that stayed in winter storage (was from Florida) and a H3 as a daily driver.... again rusted to hell under it. Rusted brake lines -etc.
DO NOT BUY ONE THAT HAS LIVED IN THE NORTHEAST, You cannot undue what has been done..... There are a bunch of very nice H2's in Texas, Florida, Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama...etc.

Also you can replace the seat leather fairly easy.
Exhaust manifold bolts - I would bet at least one snapped.
This site has a wealth of info- buy one in great rust free unmolested/no accidents with original paint - Mechanicals you can easily fix is all GM... RUST FREE ORIGINAL BODY & INTERIOR.. if very nice - Buy it.

Thats my 2 cents....

found one in Ky. It is nice in pics so we will see tomorrow. Headed south to pick it up. You may like the color.

Old 09-13-2022, 03:13 PM

New owner, new member myself here. Just wanted to add the rear door latch handle, license plate holder and the electric folding mirrors to the list. Bad air bag sensor and 4WD switch seem to be fairly common things as well.

Old 09-13-2022, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Oldwvman
found one in Ky. It is nice in pics so we will see tomorrow. Headed south to pick it up. You may like the color.

KY is not out of the salt-belt! USE A HIGH POWER LED FLASHLIGHT & THOROUGHLY INSPECT UNDERNEATH!

Driving in the 'Salt Belt': Millions of cars with rust recalls

Old 09-13-2022, 05:45 PM

Thanks, I knew the mirrors but forgot. I will add that to my list. Others are new to me. Thanks again I will check them out. Air bag sensor any way to check that?

QUOTE=BrickNovax;395868]New owner, new member myself here. Just wanted to add the rear door latch handle, license plate holder and the electric folding mirrors to the list. Bad air bag sensor and 4WD switch seem to be fairly common things as well.[/QUOTE]

Old 09-13-2022, 05:51 PM

Ouch, thanks for info. I have bought several cars from KY with no issues. Hope it works out again. I am taking a creeper, led light and a screw driver with me. Might make someone mad but if the don’t like it then there must be a reason.

Originally Posted by hummerz
KY is not out of the salt-belt! USE A HIGH POWER LED FLASHLIGHT & THOROUGHLY INSPECT UNDERNEATH!

Driving in the 'Salt Belt': Millions of cars with rust recalls

Quick Reply: What issues should we be looking at when buying a new to us H2