Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

What backup camera to buy and where to mount questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 02:10 PM
Default What backup camera to buy and where to mount questions

I went ahead and join the H2 fan club last week. Loving my decision to do so. Anyways, I dont have a backup camera, and with this thing being lifted and windows blacked out, I can realistically see my wife, running over a multitude of things. I have the Pioneer AVIC-5201NEX Multimedia Navigation Receiver installed currently. Anybody have one of these head units? What camera would you get? I see some that are regular cameras, some that are HD, some that are CMOS, etc... What should I be looking for?

The next question, is where the heck would you mount it? This H2 has 38" tires, including a 38" tire on rack in back. The vehicle is a SUT. So I could put on top of Cab, but the tire and bed would get into way, I would assume. If I go off the bumber, I also think tire would get into way. Either side fo rear bumper, the tire will block the view to other side of Vehicle.

I am torn if I should just remove the spare tire rack, or try and work around it? It isnt like the wife going to carry around a bumper jack and the tire weighs more than her anyways, so she aint changing it if something happens. I was thinking I could mought it between the spokes of the rim possibly?

Any suggestions, especially if you have ever dealt with this would be greatly appreciated. Some pictures for reference.

Old 09-17-2021, 03:14 PM

Here's an idea, mount it in the tow hitch receiver.

Obviously I didn't need this because the 08 has a rear camera on the bumper, I found I wanted an IR camera what would do a slightly better job at night and also the camera provides a better view directly behind me. I also have one installed in the front tow hitch
receiver and I ran them to a small monitor in the cab that is attached to the sun roof control console. Easy to do an you can always unplug and remove if you need to tow.

Old 09-17-2021, 07:37 PM

This is a good idea. I was actually thinking of this. Great to have a picture to reference. What camera is it that you are using? Also, what would you do if you had to use the trailer hitch? Do you have a camera quick disconnect?

Old 09-17-2021, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Wraypau
This is a good idea. I was actually thinking of this. Great to have a picture to reference. What camera is it that you are using? Also, what would you do if you had to use the trailer hitch? Do you have a camera quick disconnect?
I used a 170 Degree rear camera with a reversed display, you can find one on ebay for under $15.00 just put the following text in ebay search: Car Rear view backup reverse camera 170 degree 8 led HD Night Vision.

I used a quick connect 12v power and Video connector. if you are using and additional monitor in the cab you can wire the 12 volts to the ignition, otherwise just run it to the reverse lights. Simply pull the pin, pull out the cover and slide in your hitch and your good to go.

You can get the metal cover to mount the camera in on the following link:
Amazon Amazon

The camera will come with the proper sized drill to make the hole in the metal cover, simply drill and snap the camera in place. Quick and easy!

Cheers, Dan

Old 09-25-2021, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by H2-SUT
I used a 170 Degree rear camera with a reversed display, you can find one on ebay for under $15.00 just put the following text in ebay search: Car Rear view backup reverse camera 170 degree 8 led HD Night Vision.

I used a quick connect 12v power and Video connector. if you are using and additional monitor in the cab you can wire the 12 volts to the ignition, otherwise just run it to the reverse lights. Simply pull the pin, pull out the cover and slide in your hitch and your good to go.

You can get the metal cover to mount the camera in on the following link: https://www.amazon.com/Tulga-Fifth-W...1930210&sr=8-4

The camera will come with the proper sized drill to make the hole in the metal cover, simply drill and snap the camera in place. Quick and easy!

Cheers, Dan
Where did you run the Video cable into the vehicle? I have the Camera and hitch cover, drilled and ready to install. Just trying to figure where to bring the video cable into the vehicle. Thanks!

Old 09-25-2021, 06:20 PM

Easy, along the inside of the rear bumper up through the bottom of the floor just under the left tail light, grab the power for your camera from the reverse light, then run forward next to the frame and forward until you get the the firewall. Right next to the brake booster you will find a rubber pass through plug that you can route the wires through, Once there you should be able to run it over behind the radio and connect it and you should be good to go

Have Fun!

Last edited by H2-SUT; 09-25-2021 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:16 AM

I brought the camera wire into the vehicle through the floorboard with the shift cable grommet. Glad i did as i think the wire would not have made it to the booster and back to the radio. I powered mine with a switch on the dash.

Old 09-26-2021, 06:33 PM

Nice!

Old 09-26-2021, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by H2-SUT
Easy, along the inside of the rear bumper up through the bottom of the floor just under the left tail light, grab the power for your camera from the reverse light, then run forward next to the frame and forward until you get the the firewall. Right next to the brake booster you will find a rubber pass through plug that you can route the wires through, Once there you should be able to run it over behind the radio and connect it and you should be good to go

Have Fun!
Worked like a charm. I went from left taillight and grabbed power, dropped through bumper, caught a ride down frame inside a 12" corrugated plastic wire sleeve, all the way to under driver floorboard carpet, there is a rubber grommet passthrough, up behind hood latch panel, then up under dash to the below.imstrunt cluster to back of radio/monitor.

Hardest part was getting the radio back into dash, there is zero extra room behind radio. I mean, you could squeeze one **** hair back there. Probably wasted a lot of time putting the wires into the corrugated sleeves, but, it looks good, and will not snag when offroadings now..

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Old 09-26-2021, 07:52 PM

Really glad it worked out for you, I feel your pain with the limited room behind the radio. The prior owner removed the original Nav and put in some cheapy aftermarket POS. I promptly removed and trashed it and put in an Alpine WD957HD, a Data Maestro AR and a PAC TR-7. This give me just about every thing you can think of. Bluetooth, Nav, DVD front and rear while moving, OBD2 display of gauges, TPM, and it interfaces with the factory BOSE amp without issue. The hardest part was finding a place for all the add-ons and getting all the cable in place to be able to put the radio back in. Honestly it took me almost a full day to get it back in the dash. Something I would not want to do again, but it was worth the effort!
Cheers

Quick Reply: What backup camera to buy and where to mount questions