PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Variable throttle control

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 08:27 PM
Default Variable throttle control

The H2 says it has "variable throttle control". ....does anyone know how this works? It says that it gives you more play in your gas pedal for off roading. How does the rig know which throttle progression to use and when?....The reason I ask is, I have noticed different pick up speeds and even took it to the dealer to get the transmission checked. Sometimes it seems to take more pedal and sounds like it revs higher......other times it is normal. of course the dealer said they could not dup the problem, and I'm not sure it even is a problem.[sm=helpout.gif]

Old 07-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Default RE: Variable throttle control

the H2 uses a fly-by-wire (or drive-by-wire) throttle system, so there is no direct connection between pedal and motor (no throttle cable), instead your input is fed through the computer and the computer sends info to the throttle.

in low range it has a much less aggressive progression. push more, get less, to help keep you from goosing yourself too quickly over a rock or whatever and causing trouble. i think that it also has a learning function that sort of sorts out (in low range) your driving behavior over whatever time and adjusts its throttle function to match. For example, it seems that if you're on the hammer alot around some loose surface its pretty touchy, but if you're stop/starting like motoring over some (small if you're where i am, lol) rocks it gets less sensitive.

i think its cool, but i also think it plays a role in the bad mileage of the H2 by making the gas seem unresponsive in normal driving and causing people to REALLY get on it. -vs- an Escalade with more power, less weight, direct throttle, and FAR better acceleration feel. escalade feels fast, H2 feels slow.

my truck sort of reminds me of your post as well. at times it feels "heavy" as you accelerate, other times not so much.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:53 PM

Thanks Greenblade! This sounds like what mine is doing. Never had a rig that did this before. However, that "heavy" feeling is bothersome.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:32 PM

Sounds to me like I fit well with an H2. The heavy feeling is something I have learned to live with driving a 105,500 lb semi trucks around and up and down these mountains we have here on the Left Coast. Just mash on the pedal enough to get it to move, you will get up to speed eventually.

Old 07-15-2006, 02:41 AM

ORIGINAL: blackstangs281

Thanks Greenblade! This sounds like what mine is doing. Never had a rig that did this before. However, that "heavy" feeling is bothersome.
hey, no problem. i'm not so fond of the heavy feeling either, but i love what the s ystem does in low range. it makes a truck with a pretty fast crawl ratio reaosnably easy to handle.