PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Default Tire Recommendation

I am getting ready to purchase new tires and would like your recommendation. I have a few that I am seriously considering (with comments) but am open to what you recommend - Thanks! Richard

1. Toyo Open Country A/T II (35X12.5X17): They offer over 40% more treadlife than the leading competitors*, a blatantly aggressive tread design, and a quiet ride. The all-new Open Country A/T II also comes with an industry-leading 65,000-mile warranty. Open Country A/T II | Toyo Tires

2. Good Year Duratrac (315X70X17): Seems to be popular on this site... Wrangler DuraTrac Tires | Goodyear Tires

This is my daily driver; however, I live in Colorado (four seasons and go into the mountains). Currently have 315X70X17's on the H2.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:27 PM

Dont know if you drive in snow/ice. But the toyo OC MTs are bad *** in the snow/ice. They have excellent tread wear also.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by bflorin
Dont know if you drive in snow/ice. But the toyo OC MTs are bad *** in the snow/ice. They have excellent tread wear also.
Yea I do.... How noisy are they? This is a great suggestion - thanks!

Old 10-25-2012, 09:55 PM

I wouldn't say they are much louder than the stock BFG's. Thats kinda open to interpritation. I've been in trucks w/ tires so loud you couldn't hear yourself think.

The treads are sipped on the MTs. I've had numerous people riding w/ me in the winter saying they can't believe how good/fast it stops.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:07 PM

When I lived in colorado I ran the Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO 2. I wasn't doing alot of four wheeling at the time but ice/snow traction was unsurpassed. they blew the crap outta the B.F.G. A/T KO on asphalt. I was running up to the resorts in winter to ski. Be forwarned. they are just o.k. in dirt but excell on asphalt in all types of weather including solid ice.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:53 PM

The Duratrac gets my vote. The are great in the dirt and snow.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:14 AM

The duratrac is a good looking tire, lots of siping for snow. wide grooves for rain however not a great off road tire.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by H2CANEPADESIGN
The duratrac is a good looking tire, lots of siping for snow. wide grooves for rain however not a great off road tire.
I'll disagree. They may not be the best in mud but I have had no problems on the rocky trails in the Northeast or in sand on the beach trails.
I would buy another set when mine wear out.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:13 PM

It all kinda depends on what your planning on doing. To me a great OFF-ROAD tire is good in all kinds of stuff off-road...mud, dirt, sand, rocks. Alot of mild A/T tires are going to do well on trails especially when there are some rocks thrown in to give you a harder surface or hardpacked sand. The Duratrac is Similar to the Dueler A/T Revo 2. Same type of tire. My next set I'm going a little less ice and more dirt. The General Grabber FR looks like its at the top of the list. Better Off-road, worse on asphalt in ice . So there is always a trade off. The only A/T tire that I know of that is good all around with a mileage warranty, quiet and good in the dirt is the Michelin LTX A/T 2. However michelin does not make tires in our size, they use their BFG line for oversized tires.

I was lucky enough to go to the Rod Hall Driving School in Reno, NV. back when they were team hummer and compare different types of A/T and M/T tires in the sierra nevadas for three days. It was an eye opener on the differences between brands and different types of tread designs.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:53 PM

UPDATE: Bought 315/70R/17 Duratracs at Discount Tire for $1470, including hazard certificate. I put my old tires on craigslist to recoup some funds... Initial thoughts: The tires are HUGE (keeping in mind I also own a Grand Cherokee). Highway speeds they are very quiet and I dig the look :-) Thanks all for your assistance!

Quick Reply: Tire Recommendation