PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking about buying h2

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 06:25 PM
Default thinking about buying h2

Hello everyone!! I am thinking about getting a 03 H2 that has around 84,000 miles on it. they are wanting around 17,600, but I think maybe they will come down a little, and I would be trading in a 05 Expedition in on it. After getting on the forum and reading a little about them I have spotted a problem already with the h2 that I am going to look at. In the photos the rear end looks like it is way lower than it should be, I am guessing leaking air bags, wich would cost me around $200 to $300 to replace them if I do it myself, and the air compressor could be bad and I could find a aftermarket one and replace it for $300 to $500, maybe? The spair tire is gone, but it does have a cold air intake on it, so maybe a few mods have been done to it, but if I need to replace those things on it I think that should be able to come down a little, what do you think???

Old 01-08-2013, 06:52 PM

I think I would keep looking

Old 01-08-2013, 09:02 PM

Now that is a contructive answer
Yes the bags need replaced, maybe the compressor. It should come on when you start the car. If the compressor is bad you could consider replacing the bags with springs too.
Cold air intake is nothing special and really does not affect the truck.
So look it over well, negotiate the flaws down with dealer prices in mind and then gain some back by doing the repairs yourself. Checks brakes too. They could be close to the end of their life

Old 01-09-2013, 06:52 AM

Tell the dealer you want to get the truck inspected before you buy it....you may get them to pay to repair the rear air shocks or replace the system with springs...good luck!

Old 01-09-2013, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by nlhummer
Now that is a contructive answer
Yes the bags need replaced, maybe the compressor. It should come on when you start the car. If the compressor is bad you could consider replacing the bags with springs too.
Cold air intake is nothing special and really does not affect the truck.
So look it over well, negotiate the flaws down with dealer prices in mind and then gain some back by doing the repairs yourself. Checks brakes too. They could be close to the end of their life
I meant it to be constructive. No reason to start out with problems. Did an autotrader search within 200 mi of me, plenty of H2s to look at . Dont know where the poster is from, but I would take a look around

Find Your Car: HUMMER H2 Listings Near Camp Hill, PA 17011 - AutoTrader.com

Old 01-09-2013, 11:21 AM

Sounds like it has some issues. the airbags are reasonable to replace. the problem is that you don't know how long they have been bad and if the compressor is still working. if the compressor is bad you should expect to pay alot more than a few hundred dollars to replace it. they are EXPENSIVE! you do have options to replace them with coil springs though.

the thing that turns me off is that when there are obvious problems when they are selling it what else did they neglect to do? change oil? flush trans? missing spare? who knows what other problems lurk under the exterior. Get a thorough inspection before you buy it then negotiate the price. or have them include and extended warranty.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:57 AM

That is the case with all used cars though. You do not know what the previous owner did. The used car dealer is not doing much of anything.
So have it checked out, negotiate the repairs down. Fix it yourself and you have a hummer with parts you know that are new.
My 03 had no leaky bags but 6 months later it did as an example

Old 01-09-2013, 02:07 PM
Banned

You can set your watch on mechanical problems of these trucks. I bought a used 03 from a used car dealer. 74000 miles on the clock. Soccer mom owned it with baby oil smell and candy wedged in the back seat. Dealer did nothing for a checkup. Changed all oil with synthetic, including all pumpkins and TCase and Tranny. Oil was on the dirty side. Since the truck is quite heavy, front bearings went out and changed at 200 dollars for both. I did the labor. Next was a tune up. I used the 100,000 mile plugs, new wires and a new air filter. Not that it needed it yet but it purrs like a kitten. at 120,000, the gauges might go crazy. Its like unplugging a laptop from the front of your steering wheel, ship it to multiple repair shops advertising on ebay " GM Gauge Guys" for me, and back within days fully repaired. You can still drive the truck. Just keep it full. Pretty much it. Keep the engine and tranny/Tcase oil changed and this truck is bullet proof. As for the price, i got mine for 15000 before tax, so close to 17000 after tax. Tree huggers can have their princesses, ill take my Hummer!

Old 01-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Banned

Ops forgot to mention the "air bags". I believe there is a retrofit coil spring kit. Mine has springs to the rear. No problem with air or compressor. It came like this. Heard too many bad stories about the air bags. Truck runs just as smooth if not smoother IMHO.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:05 PM

I have looked on AutoTrader and can't find one with that low of miles anywhere close to me, with out paying a lot! I live in central Missouri. There seems to be a few around, but they want more than I want to spend. My father in law works on autos, he was telling me how there are a lot of people getting those 6.0 motors and putting twin turbos on them, putting them in race cars and running the hell out of them, and they are taking it. He said they are good motors for sure. If I need to replace the shocks or air compressor I have a good place to work on it, and usually during the weekend I can use one of the lifts, now it's just getting over there to take a look at it, then see if they will let me take it home for the night so I can have my father in law look at it with me. My boy is sick at the moment so I'll have to wait until he is better. In ways I hope there is somthing wrong with the air ride, so maybe I can get a better deal, maybe?? If they want to work with me??

Quick Reply: thinking about buying h2