Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Software update 2006 H2- questions..

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 03:24 PM
Default Software update 2006 H2- questions..

I know a few of you have updated the software on your H2's- I have a Tech2 and I have an older laptop with windows 98 I believe on it... I have not gone too in depth with the Tech 2 yet..
Wondering, how do I verify my current software and where/how do I get the "updated" software update?
Yes, I have read many GM Tech 2 posts, I am just trying to find a clear explanation of "how to" with the path of least resistance... I believe the 2006 can be updated fairly easily and without a subscription?>?
2006 H2
Thanks!
Chris

Old 09-09-2020, 05:13 PM

You can verify any current versions on the Tech2 while it is connected to the vehicle.

For updates you will need to install the TIS2000 software on an PC with a serial port. Windows 98, Windows XP both work fine with the TIS2000 software. There are versions available for download online in multiple places and it is pretty easily found (your Tech2 may have come with it). Also a good number of various instructions on getting it installed and working. Then it is just a matter of requesting info on the Tech2, connect it to the PC, and select the modules to update along with the version to update to (if a new version is available for any given module). Pass-through mode is even quicker (and sometimes more reliable) but you have to have the PC very close to the vehicle too because in pass-through you have the Tech2 connected to both the vehicle and PC at the same time and do the update directly within TIS2000.

Old 09-09-2020, 05:26 PM

Thanks! I may attempt this next week.

Old 09-09-2020, 10:03 PM

installing the provided tis2000
sps overview

Old 09-10-2020, 07:18 AM

Just opened the Tech 2 box- I have 2 CD's both say Bosch one is "TIS 2000" other "Electronic Documentation V13.0"
Do the CD's normally have everything I need to run the software? I have yet to grab my old laptop, may try this later today. I didnt even realize I had the CD's in the Tech 2 case until I dug under all the adapters.cables and there they were... Thanks for this reply with the links to youtube- tremendous help!

Old 09-10-2020, 08:16 AM

Also-
Should I pull the fuse to the radio in advance since I have the Alpine installed with the adapters for the steering controls? I read that some have had programming stop due to aftermarket introductions to the vehicle....
Thanks

Old 09-10-2020, 09:13 AM

Certainly will not hurt to pull the radio fuse but might not help either....

Old 09-10-2020, 09:39 AM
mcu

following this.....What kind of software upgrades do most people get with this? I got the tech2 knock off to bleed my brakes, but have not used it for any programming

Old 09-10-2020, 11:13 AM

OK- So I dug out the old laptop and it was already loaded with Windows XP SP3 - from what I read the program plays nice with that OS. Loaded the software off the dvd and then came up to the dongle "issue" I read some more and found what I needed - If you do a google search for tech 2 downloads, you will find what you need.

The program kept freezing when opened after loading - so I did a shutdown restart and rebooted windows... once it came up I went to the program and double clicked on "service programming system" - program loaded perfectly that time - for some reason if I close it and then try to reopen - will freeze again until I reboot. I probably am not going to try and resolve why it does that, as long as it opens and runs the first time I freshly open - I am fine.,
Went to H2 downloaded the info on my Tech 2 - came back inside and my 9 pin on my PC is female... same as the cord from the Tech 2. I ordered the 9 pin MALE to USB adapter on amazon :
Amazon Amazon
Will retry loading from my PC to the Tech 2 once it arrives on Saturday,. Also of note is in that amazon link, the second review on the adapter explains how to change your PC to make the USB "com port 1" I may just do that instead of qualifying it in the program since I already chose com port 1 as the default.

Trying to make this post "idiot proof" so others like myself can have a quick reference to getting up & running with the Tech 2 instead of being put off from all the steps to get it to function - when one has zero knowledge of any Tech 2 prior experience - lol.

My only fear at this point is if I get an error when I actually update the firmware in the H2 - "dont fix it unless its broke" may come back to haunt me

Last edited by Chrmer3; 09-10-2020 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:56 PM

I cannot remember offhand what the few updates can correct. I know the air suspension has an update on mine which made it not run right at startup for a few seconds or something like that. You can put your VIN # in on the ACDelco TDS site to see the various software versions for your vehicle here... https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web

Make sure to use the back and forward buttons on the upper right of the page. Your browser back and forward buttons will not work right to navigate the pages. Not all updates are terribly descriptive of what they may or may not correct.... Also many options are for multiple vehicles like the driver seat module. You might see something related to a diesel - that does not mean there was ever a factory diesel H2, just that some other GM vehicle uses the same module that happens to be a diesel.... lol

Quick Reply: Software update 2006 H2- questions..