Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Side mirror change but connection problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2023, 02:56 AM
Default Side mirror change but connection problem

Hello everybody,
hope someone did it before me but sure there are.
I've got a 2007 H2 and I just changed the side mirrors with the last version for H2 that looks more solid and cool to me. The problem is that the connectors to operate them are different!
I found the power mirror scheme for the old ones on the web but not the new scheme to understand if I can cut and attach the cables ato operate them in some way...
Other idea is to change the door switch panel with the new version, so the connector whould be the correct one but will it works? And for the right side mirror?
Mumble....

Thanks for any suggestion,
have a great day,

Dan

Old 08-20-2023, 09:07 PM

you can try de-pinning the sockets to swap them. if the colors are the same put them in the same place the old ones that worked. white wire might be the same as the yellow one.
maybe post a pic of the wires.

Old 08-22-2023, 10:49 AM

So it looks like you are wanting to install 08/09 mirrors on your 07 which is a totally different electrical system.

Going to be complicated and will need connector pin outs for both the first gen and second gen for both drivers side and passenger sides which I saved out and attached. So on the attached PDF 0809 is the newer ones and looks like #'s X3 and X7 for both driver and passenger doors. On the 07DDM PDF will be connectors C3 and C4.

Wire colors are different and the actual connector pins are likely different (.64mm AMP versus YESC Kaizen series) so you will probably have to cut and solder every wire. That is if both generation mirrors use all of the same signals and voltages and it can all be matched up.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
0809.pdf (1.89 MB, 16 views)
07DDM.pdf (874.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 08-22-2023, 06:45 PM

MixManSC those diagrams are very helpful.

ItalianH2 changing door switches could be risky, there's the BCM communications, heated seats, windows, a whole list of stuff that might stop working and even more wiring decisions.

I made a very quick comparison between MixManSC's two documents, marked them up and scanned them, don't take my marks as gospel, just a guide.

There are many similarities between the two, even the same colors in some cases.

A lot depends on what you are willing to risk/try, for example you could to cut -off your old mirror wires so as to leave all the connections needed to the DDM (door switch)

It would then be a case of marrying these-up to your new mirrors which you could try in stages.

For example, you could start with the mirror motor, there effectively 3-wires on C4 as follows:-

C4-7 Yellow & White = Motors Common
C4-8 Light Blue = Motor Right (there could be 2 wires in one pin)
C4-9 Light Green = Motor Down

Now I believe these would correspond to:-
X3-6 Yellow = Motor Common
X3-2 Light Blue = Horizontal Position Control
X3-1 Light Green = Vertical Position Control

You could literally poke-in these wires into the new connector and see if you have L-R pan and Up-Down control.

At this stage the DDM will not know where the mirror positions are, but if the controls operate correctly i.e. Up is Up and Left Is left it would would be a good start.

Next would be the positional sensors of which there are effectively 4 wires. This is how they are wired on an 05 (next post) the signals and +5V reference should be easy (see my notes) but I'm not sure where which the corresponding low ref on the new mirrors, it will be there you may have to measure the resistance to the 5-Vollt ref which should be 3.6K

The big assumption is mirror mechanism is similar, I have plenty of experience up to 05 but have never seen the later ones.

Attached Files
0809 Markup.pdf (5.92 MB, 12 views)
07DDM - Markup.pdf (3.89 MB, 13 views)
Old 08-22-2023, 06:49 PM

Old 08-23-2023, 07:56 AM

There's a lot we don't know about the later mirrors, even so there's a good chance they are very similar.
Most functions can be tested individually e.g.
  • Pan/Tilt
  • Extend / Retract, note retract may not work until Pan/Tilt and position sense are working 100% Extend should work and if this does you can assume Retract will too (since its just polarity reversal)
  • Mirror Defrost
  • Not sure how to test Day/Night function
There might be some investigative work still required, anyway the possible connections are:-
(driver’s side only for the moment)

<-------------------2007 Wiring --------------------------------------------> <-----------------------2008/9 Wiring ------------------------------------->
Automatic Day/Night Mirror
Automatic Day/Night Mirror Signal -------------------C3-7 (Grey)--------- >> Automatic Day/Night Mirror Signal ------------------X2-12 (Grey)
Automatic Day/Night Mirror Low Reference ----------C3-8 (Pink) ---------->> Low Reference -------------------------------------------X3-4 (Pink)

Mirror Heating Element
Driver Mirror Heating Element Low Reference- ----C3-3 (Black)--------- >> Low Reference -------------------------------------------X3-3 (Black)
Mirror Heating Element Supply Voltage ------------C4-2 (Orange) ------>> Mirror Heating Element Control ----------------------X3-7 (Black)
If you confirm the conductivity of the heating element wires (should be low ohms) these will connect to C3-3 and C4-2

Pan/Tilt Motor Control
Driver Mirror Right/Down Motors Common ----------C4-7 (Yellow/White) >> Outside Left Mirror Drive Motor Common --------X3-6 (Yellow)
Driver Mirror Motor Right Control --------------------C4-8 (Light Blue) ---->> Low Reference ------------------------------------------X3-2 (Light Blue)
Driver Mirror Motor Down Control -------------------C4-9 (Light Green) ->> Outside Left Mirror Vertical Position Control------ X3-1 (Light Green)

Pan/Tilt Position Sensing
Driver Mirror Horizontal Position Sensor Signal-----C4-3 (Red)--------- ---->> Driver Mirror Horizontal Position Sensor Signal X7-5 (Red)
Driver Mirror Vertical Position Sensor Signal --------C4-5 (Dark Blue) ------>> Driver Mirror Vertical Position Sensor Signal ---X7-4 ( Dark Blue)
5-Volt Reference-------------------------------------- C4-4 (Dark Green)---- >> 5-Volt Reference ---------------------------------------X7-7 (Dark Green)
Mirror Sensor Low Reference -------------------------C3-4 (Purple) ----------->> Low Reference -----------------------------------------X7-10 (Purple)

Retract/Extend Motor Control
Driver Folding Mirror Motor Extend Control --------C4-1 (Yellow) ----------->> Driver Folding Mirror Motor Extend Control ----X7-2 (Grey)
Driver Folding Mirror Motor Retract Control --------C4-6 (Light Blue) ------>> Driver Folding Mirror Motor Retract Control ----X7-1 (Brown)

Connection Summary
C3-3 (Black) ---------------->> X3-3 (Black)
C3-4 (Purple)-------------- >> X7-10 (Purple)
C3-7 (Grey) ---------------->> X2-12 (Grey)
C3-8 (Pink) ----------------->> X3-4 (Pink)

C4-1 (Yellow)--------------->> X7-2 (Grey)
C4-2 (Orange)------------->> X3-7 (Black)
C4-3 (Red) ----------------->> X7-5 (Red)
C4-4 (Dark Green)-------->> X7-7 (Dark Green)
C4-5 (Dark Blue) --------->> X7-4 ( Dark Blue)
C4-6 (Light Blue) --------->> X7-1 (Brown)
C4-7 (Yellow/White) ----->> X3-6 (Yellow)
C4-8 (Light Blue) --------->> X3-2 (Light Blue)
C4-9 (Light Green) ------>>X3-1 (Light Green)

Total 13 wires

Be interested to know how many wires the new mirror assembly has.

Last edited by oceanbrave; 08-23-2023 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-24-2023, 02:33 AM

That scheme will be very helpful! Thank you!

I'm resolving an issue about differential that's making noise and rear air suspension that's punctured... then I'll be back to the side mirrors (Y)

Thanks,
ciao
Dan

Old 10-08-2023, 03:40 PM

Have you got your mirrors working?