Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Roof Rack Plastic Trim Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 03:57 PM
Default Roof Rack Plastic Trim Removal

I’ve recently acquired a 2003 H2. I had the infamous roof leak from the front marker lights. Decided I’d silicone in the rubber seal and want to do the same on the rear corner lights. Only problem is I can’t cleanly access it. It seems that the plastic trim and the track for the cross bars needs to come off in order to clean and seal it all up properly. After removing all the T25 screws I can figure out for the life of me how to get the black plastic trim piece to release. Any help would be much appreciated.

Here is as far as I’ve gotten.

Old 05-19-2020, 04:24 PM

Like removing the entire rail? If I remember right mine were just very stuck in place was all.... I took them off once when I resealed some of mine. I "might" be pulling them again. I actually have the windshield out and am using the opportunity to have the headliner redone and am going to thoroughly inspect for leaks as I have still been getting some dampness.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:26 PM

I just recently did this, be sure to remove all bolts front to rear, it is glued in place and can be removed by applying a constant pressure at both ends until once loosens, then slowly work to loosen it from that one end all the way across until you can completely remove it.

All bolts must be removed front to rear the trim does not split into two.

additionally check the body seam sealer for cracks over the A pillar, if there are any microcracks above the windshield seam fill them with RTV.

Old 05-22-2020, 07:06 PM

Ah okay good to know it’s glued into place. I will give it a little persuasion lol I thought it might be two pieces And that the back of it came out first. The screw under the rear clearance light on one side won’t back out. Even with a pry bar underneath it just spins. Do I need to pull interior trim to access a retainer or nut? I’m halfway tempted to drill the damn thing out.

Old 05-22-2020, 07:56 PM

most likely under the headliner. do not be surprised if it was also a source of your leaks you might be able to JB weld it in place to keep it from rotating after removing the screw then silicone or seam seal the top side to keep water out.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:13 PM

That’s not good if it’s spinning (obviously) since it is essentially a sleeve I would probably try to start loosening the entire rail from the other end and once it’s free and hinging on that one bolt I would try to pull it up and hope the sleeve will pull out of the truck with the rail.

those bolts are not easy to reach even with the headliner removed.

Now I’m afraid to pull my driver side knowing that’s a risk, I need to pull my driver side to seal that last rear marker that I haven’t gotten to yet.

if you can’t get it out then I would probably drill.

then you will have to find a dealer to buy new bolts from, they come in a pack of 10 so if your dealer is a dick about it they will make you buy all 10.

And those bolts are $6 a piece, not sure how much a new sleeve costs.

i ended up screwing up the torx part of the bolt and bought a spare for when I next pull it off.

Old 05-23-2020, 01:31 PM

I would think a proper sized rivnut / nutsert would probably suffice as a replacement

Old 09-14-2021, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by AustinK
I’ve recently acquired a 2003 H2. I had the infamous roof leak from the front marker lights. Decided I’d silicone in the rubber seal and want to do the same on the rear corner lights. Only problem is I can’t cleanly access it. It seems that the plastic trim and the track for the cross bars needs to come off in order to clean and seal it all up properly. After removing all the T25 screws I can figure out for the life of me how to get the black plastic trim piece to release. Any help would be much appreciated.

Here is as far as I’ve gotten.
Do you know where i can get that rubber trim seal

?

Old 02-09-2023, 04:47 AM
Default Where can I find this trim

Anyone know where I can find the replacement trim pieces

Old 02-09-2023, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Aaronwhite1217
Anyone know where I can find the replacement trim pieces
Ebay or junkyard is your best bet.

Quick Reply: Roof Rack Plastic Trim Removal