PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear & Passenger Wipers not touching at all

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 11:45 AM
Default Rear & Passenger Wipers not touching at all

My drivers side wiper touches fine. My passenger side touches about half the windshield and my rear wiper doesn't touch at all. Is there a spring or something I need to tighten or replace? Do I need to manually bend the arms? I replaced the wipers with brand new Rain-X and the problem still exists. Any help is much appreciated.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:07 PM

I had to ditch the Rain X wipers on mine after just 1 day..... The beam on the blades just could not hold it against the windshield and they chattered like crazy. Big part of the problem is the windshield is near vertical which makes the aerodynamic shape of most all "beam" style wipers not work well at all. Traditional wiper blades seem to work a ton better but at the expense of not nearly as good of options for quality rubber.

Wish Rain X would make them with the traditional style metal frame blades with their excellent rubber edge.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
I had to ditch the Rain X wipers on mine after just 1 day..... The beam on the blades just could not hold it against the windshield and they chattered like crazy. Big part of the problem is the windshield is near vertical which makes the aerodynamic shape of most all "beam" style wipers not work well at all. Traditional wiper blades seem to work a ton better but at the expense of not nearly as good of options for quality rubber.

Wish Rain X would make them with the traditional style metal frame blades with their excellent rubber edge.
What brand are you using? I actually couldn't find the Rain-X size for the H2 in any local store I had to get them off eBay

Old 03-01-2018, 03:18 PM

I ended up ordering PIAA Super Silicone blades. Been happy with them.
Amazon Amazon

I forget the name of it but they also make a nicer looking version that still has a traditional frame but with a cover. Michelin also makes one like that which is also supposed to be pretty good - their "hybrid" style which is like the higher end PIAA, a traditional frame style with a nice cover.

Last edited by MixManSC; 03-01-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:01 PM

I ended up ordering PIAA Super Silicone blades. Been happy with them. https://www.amazon.com/95040-Super-S...ct_top?ie=UTF8

I forget the name of it but they also make a nicer looking version that still has a traditional frame but with a cover. Michelin also makes one like that which is also supposed to be pretty good - their "hybrid" style which is like the higher end PIAA, a traditional frame style with a nice cover.
Ouch $24 for one wiper! What about the rear wiper? Didn't see PIAA in 11 inches. My rear RainX basically does not touch the windshield at all

Old 03-02-2018, 03:34 PM

That is odd. My Rainex work great and very quiet.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:57 PM

On the rear - a 12" one will fit...

I think as our truck age the spring in the arm gets weaker which is what causes some of this. I've actually considered pulling one on and seeing if I can either shorten it bu a couple of coils (not easy as spring steel is often very brittle and trying to bend an end into a new hook might break off) or find a suitable replacement.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:48 PM

Found this youtube clip on wiper motor's, not what you're looking for I know, but the bit at 5:26 about "play" in the bush may be relavent (I had the same issue)

If you hear a "clunk" as the wipers change direction you may find its the shaft(s) in the bush(es) riding up and down. Its relevant because the wipers are moving away from the windscreen at this point so loosing wiping pressure on the glass as you describe.

As the shafts are pressed-in they won't come apart, however a quick fix is to cut a 1/2" rubber tap-washer and slide it in the gap and over the shaft on the actuator side (not the wiper arm side) It will be hard to find a washer of exact thickness but with a little improvisation it can be done.

You dont need to remove the wiper assembly, just the blades and grill, quite an easy job.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:46 AM

On the rear - a 12" one will fit...

I think as our truck age the spring in the arm gets weaker which is what causes some of this. I've actually considered pulling one on and seeing if I can either shorten it bu a couple of coils (not easy as spring steel is often very brittle and trying to bend an end into a new hook might break off) or find a suitable replacement.
You're a genius... The silicone piaa wipers work like a dream.. didn't have to adjust anything. So it was the curvature of the RainX wipers... Thanks to everyone for your help!!!

Old 03-16-2018, 11:55 AM

I think its just that with our nearly vertical windshields that the plastic "beam" style wipers just are not able to press quite hard enough. That and the aerodynamic shape of them is simply designed for typical windshields which are much more angled than ours. I've read of Jeep owners and heavy truck owners stating the same thing.

Quick Reply: Rear & Passenger Wipers not touching at all