Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Rear main seal and oil pan dealer quote . Need help to decide

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 01:06 PM

H2Miami....it seems like you already made your decision....but, The reality is...yes, it is a DIY job. I just replaced the rear main seal on my H2...a $40 to $50 part but two full days of labor. 1st day, I spent 8 hrs. Second day, a friend and I spent 5 hrs. For 18 hours of labor, I just paid for the seal and saved some serious money. Friend brought over his impact gun, a swivel, a few deep sockets, and lots and lots of extensions.

If time is an issue, and your are not able to lift the H2 high enough, it will be a pain. Even with my 6 inch lift and 38" tires, I still jacked up my H2 another 10 inches. Lowering the transmission and transfer case is a challenge. Disconnecting and reconnecting the front drive shaft is a challenge. My friend took care of that. Still, worth the experience. My rear main seal was not torn/ripped/falling apart. It was very very stiff. The gasket behind the the rear main seal cover was shot to pieces. I would do it again, but recommend a transmission jack.

Last edited by RoH2; 11-06-2016 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:07 PM

If their rate wasn't $165 an hour...the repair wouldn't be as bad. In Texas, the typical rate is $85 to $110. $165 is approaching Porsche, Mercedes, BMW rates.
This kind of repair is mainly labor. I changed mine on 2005 H2 with 207,000 miles. Only had a problem with the bolts on the exhaust. Sprayed with PB blaster and let them soak for a good 30 minutes, off they came.

It helps I have a shop behind my house I can keep everything secured and out of the weather. Albeit, weather was great when I did the repair. Almost 1 month ago. Personally, I loved it! This kind of repair was on my bucket list. Checked off now! Not to mention, I got a really good idea of the inner workings on my tonka toy.

Last edited by RoH2; 11-06-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:26 AM

Saving all that $ sounds great but having to lift the truck 2 ft is impossible for me .
I have lot of tools but limited time and work space isn't ideal with 85° in Miami working 8 hr under heat is not fun plus the usual rain
This seems a major diy job even for experienced people

I agree this dealer is expensive but it is the best of the best in the area for Gm
If can't do the job myself then I rather to have the best to do it right

Still it is a huge $ chunk

Old 11-09-2016, 03:17 PM

Mine is leaking too. I have read that all you need do is drop the transmission, no mention of anything else as you are not dropping the oil pan.

Tim

Last edited by tharber; 11-09-2016 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by tharber
Mine is leaking too. I have read that all you need do is drop the transmission, no mention of anything else as you are not dropping the oil pan.

Tim
You also drop the transfer case as it's mated to the transmission.

The OP indicated his oil pan gasket and oil pressure sending sensor is leaking. Dealer is going to repair all 3 leaks. Apparently, they want to drop the front diff in order to change the oil pan gasket. I also need to replace my oil pan gasket, but I will try without dropping the front diff. I had read a thread on a forum some where that is was possible, but a real PITA. I don't know and I'm not an expert mechanic...just a heavy duty DIYER. When I decide to tackle that job I will be prepared for dropping the diff if I need to.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:25 AM

All fixed ...
Rear main seal 1200
Oil pan 900
Crankshaft sensor 100
Oil switch 100
Total 2300

Not having a oil stain on floor don't have a price
For everything else there is mastercard

Was dealing with the leak for months . Make me sick . Make my beast looks like a transportation
Still hurt my pocket but will forgot after a few days

Old 11-18-2016, 08:13 AM

Good deal, while it's a lot of $ you will soon forget it, but the leak would continue to haunt you. You made a wise choice.

Old 07-02-2020, 03:34 AM
Banned

if you need to wait a bit to build funds, Bludevil stop leak actually works for a while. It apparently makes hard gaskets pliable again. Usually semi instantly. I'd run it hard for 200 miles. I think its like 13 bucks at wallymart...

Old 07-07-2020, 10:12 PM

I just had my transmission rebuilt and they replaced the rear main for $153 more dollars. It was a no-brainer and has me thinking; I'd get quotes from tranny shops on rear main seals since most all the labor is the tranny drop which they're super fast and efficient with.

Old 07-08-2020, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by clsimmon
I just had my transmission rebuilt and they replaced the rear main for $153 more dollars. It was a no-brainer and has me thinking; I'd get quotes from tranny shops on rear main seals since most all the labor is the tranny drop which they're super fast and efficient with.
That's the route I took as well.

Tim

Quick Reply: Rear main seal and oil pan dealer quote . Need help to decide