PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Air Ride Random Drops / Air Blending Door

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:16 AM
Default Rear Air Ride Random Drops / Air Blending Door

Hey guys, I have some questions... my H2 is a 2003 with the air ride in the rear. I have seen the rear drop down over night twice and am confused. I went out over this past weekend and aired up the bags full in the off road mode... I then got under with a soapy spray bottle and started to spray the bags down I spent like 30 min per side and even used my hand to soap it up and did not find any bubbles. I then (the best I could) started to spray the hose from each bag back to the compressor... No bubbles. I also sprayed the compressor where the hose connects on each side, and I didn't see anything... I checked the air stem inside where you can air up things and it was not leaking... I tried to follow the hose to the compressor and check it there and best I could tell it was also fine. The sensors look OK best I know... I think one was replaced right before I got it. But my thoughts are if it were one back sensors it would go down crooked? It does not do it all the time only twice that i noticed so far... no service air suspension on dash, and after I looked it over I left it up in off road mode all night and checked it with a tape... and it did not move a mm... I don't get it... thoughts?

Air blend door... this morning I noticed that i had cold air on one side, and hot on the other... I switched from dash to floor and to defrost and so on a few times and it seamed to even out. I can change from 60 - 90 left and right now but it may be a tad slow (hard to say I could be paranoid)... But I wonder if this was just cause it has been on cold so long and I just thought to try heat... or if this is an early sign of blend door failure.

any help would be great... I like my air ride suspension, and i know its problematic... but I want to keep it all in tact.

thanks in advance

Old 07-20-2010, 08:28 PM

Wish I could help, but I have the same exact problem. I have an 03 and the *** randomly deflates over night. I have soaped the bags, lines and even took the pump assembly down to spray it. I can't find any leaks. I'm starting to wonder if one of the solenoids is sticking open a touch sometimes and letting the air bleed out of the bags over night.

Hope someone has some suggestions.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:38 PM

Have you tried the flash that the dealer has for the single stage compressor? I was told that might be it... but not sure. Stuck solenoid makes sense... wonder if there is a rebuild.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:07 AM

Well my measurement shows it dropped almost 4 inches this morning... I don’t get it... The bags do show some cracking but no bubbles at all when I spray... I guess I am not sure what to do. I am going to take a measurement when I get to work... Ind another when I am done to see if I notice anything.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:10 AM

When I got to work and parked it I measured about 40 1/4 on the driver side and about 40 3/4 on the passenger side... I will chk agn about 5:00 today when I am headed home. I just called the Hummer dealer and had him check the vin (he asked for last 8 digits) and he said it had no due recalls but would need to hook it up to the GM scan tool to see if it was at the latest revision of the software (he says that is all software on the truck). It will cost 97.00 for them to do that and that is even if it does have the latest code... so I will have to pay no matter what. That is almost one airbag... I wish I had a way to tell exactly what was the problem... I do not want to throw money out the window unless its for what needs to be replaced.
any ideas, is there something that will help me indicate what software is on the truck (like how the compressor acts or what something else does)... And is there anything else I can do to test the bags ot lines or compressor?
I would like some reassurance is all... I do not think its smart to just toss money at it till it is fixed.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by myrddin
Have you tried the flash that the dealer has for the single stage compressor? I was told that might be it... but not sure. Stuck solenoid makes sense... wonder if there is a rebuild.
I didn't know there was a flash available. The closest Hummer dealer is about 4 hours away, although I imagine GM could probably do it since it's not under warranty.

Thanks for the heads up!

Old 07-21-2010, 09:06 PM

OK, I just got off the phone with a Hummer tech; he knew quite a bit and had some good info to offer. He says if i have the code 711 it could be that I need the update and it might be ok... However he said the 2003 suffers from having a bad system... he says the new dual compressor fixed all the problems... He says that the single failed in many ways but the most common was corrosion build up or debris that causes the exhaust valve to hang and leak air... he stated that sometimes it could not hang because the decree would move but then it might end back where it hangs up the valve... but he said if I want to test it I can remove the gas cap, and then remove the filler neck surround ( 3 screws and turn counter clockwise) and move the filler neck to the side I will see the filter and exhaust line... he says easiest thing to do is place a condom over the filter for the exhaust hose and let it sit and if I see air fill it up overnight I will know that it how the air is escaping.

So now I have another thing to test...

He did say the code read would be 50/50 but the fix now or later will be the upgraded compressor... like 2500.00 worth of parts.... that I do not have at the moment.

what do you guys think?

Old 07-22-2010, 03:31 PM

here is the deal......

If you truck is an 03 and one of the sensors was recently replaced the new software had to be installed for the new sensor to work.

Also the software update has nothing to do with deflating over night.... The software made the system run the compressor less for minor changes in ride height.

The tech is spot on when it comes to the exhaust valve issue. However there is hope... you can find compressor assemblies brand new on ebay for $400. Its VERY easy to manually install one. However you will need to take it back to the dealer and have them set your ride height. That should run about 1-2 hours labor and possibly software.....

Also the soap on the bags does not always show bag leaks. especially if you hit the ride height extension button.

do this....
1. condom trick....if no leak replace both bags. If they have cracks its time to do it anyway. you can get them for like $120 on Gmpartsdirect.com

Old 07-22-2010, 06:45 PM

Thanks man, that is pretty much what I was thinking... So far the truck has not dropped agn more than a little:

4:25
When I pulled in the driveway and left it
Pass - 41 1/4
Drive - 41 3/4

7:15
Walked out to chk
Pass - 41
Driver 41 1/2

I will chk it before bed time and post back... if it’s not dropping than the no reason to chk the exhaust...

my other thought is that this may only happen after I air it all the up and then air it back to normal... so if it has not dropped at all by tomorrow morning (or is at least close to the above) then I will start it up air it up till the button stops flashing... then after 1 min bush to air it down till the button stops flashing... then I will shut it down and go to work (leaving it in the driveway all day) and chk it when I get home...

it that triggers it I can see that it might need a program flash... but if not then I don’t get it... can it just leak whenever it wants?

I found a guy with a dual stage compressor and bags (no lines though) for 350-400 he swears up and down that nothing is wrong with them... should I just get it or should I keep troubleshooting this set up...

Odd thing is that it may be fine for a long time... then one day i will walk out in the morning and it will be like 4 inches lower than stock.

So far I have seen it happen like 2-3 times (it does not happen every night).

Thoughts?

Old 07-24-2010, 04:34 PM

just found out when the guy replaced the driver side level sensor that he did not have it recalibrated... says he just swapped it out... wondering if that would cause it to drop a few times like I have seen? Over 30 days I have seen it lower than normal 3 times... all other times it’s been pretty close to what I would expect...

Quick Reply: Rear Air Ride Random Drops / Air Blending Door