Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

rattling sunroof plastic wind deflector - H2

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 01:29 PM
Default rattling sunroof plastic wind deflector - H2

Well, I am into a bunch of reconditioning on our 2007 H2 Special Edition. Next up problem is:

Anyone have a good way to stop the sunroof plastic wind deflector from rattling at highway speeds?

I used double-sided sticky tape between the vehicle roof and the rubber trim of the wind deflector, but it does not stay put.
Deflector does not sit perfectly flat on the roof, because it has a bit of an air gap on the 2 corners. About 1/8". A little warpage from age or heat I presume.
I can not suck it down with the 2 wimpy mounting screws it comes with.

I am contemplating using silicone sealer to run a bead to glue it onto the roof, but that is really my last choice. Because if I ever need to remove it, it would be hell.

Any smarter way to get this deflector to stop rattling?

Thanks for any advice.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:49 PM

I know this seems like a really really basic question, but have you tried tightening the screws?

Old 12-05-2016, 06:07 PM

Yes, like I already said in my post above. LOL!

Old 12-05-2016, 06:18 PM

Whoops, lol. Should have caught that.

Do you happen to have cross bars near the deflector? That can cause the deflector to rattle.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:46 PM

Yes, I have a crossbar above the deflector. Mine is the Special Edition with lights in the Bar.

Of course, I want to have that bar as far forward as possible, for the lights to shine on the road and not the roof which puts it near the deflector. It does not touch it, but I think it causes turbulence, which you suggested. I agree.

If I slide the crossbar further back, it looks strange on the vehicle. And if I light it up, then the whole vehicle inside floods thru the sunroof with light from the crossbar. Ridiculous setup.

I have to figure out a way to stop that silly deflector from rattling permanently.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:34 PM

This might seem odd, but is it worth removing the wind deflector?
If you don't use the moon roof, it might be something to consider.

Silicone seems to be a go-to solution for things like this, otherwise. At the worse, you'll have to peel it off & find another solution.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:14 PM

Already tried that. When the sunroof is open without the deflector, the wind turbulence causes a weird drone and buffeting of your head.

I guess that is why GM put it on as an afterthought once they realized the open sunroofs were causing noise/vibration problems.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:19 PM

I took mine off and it does make all kinds of noise...

Why not buy a new one? Sounds like you have tried everything possible.

My only suggestion is to glue some foamy material/door/window sealer to the bottom of the actual wind deflector and then mounting the wind deflector to the vehicle. The foamy material would go in the spot where the deflector doesn't make contact with the roof. Or. you could just place a new strip on the full length of the deflector so that you have a new material making a seal with the roof.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:34 PM

Good questions.

1. a new one, assuming it is still available was like $500. So pretty pricey, and no guarantee that a new one would not turn into the old one fast.

I even thought of heating up and reforming the old one. Problem is that you really need a jig, and that is more expensive/lengthy to fabricate than replacing.

2. I already tried the foam tape trick. The good 3M stuff used to attach emblems. Problem is that it does not stick to the rubber base of the deflector. Nothing I have tried in tape works.

So I still do not have a solution to this problem.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by finall
Good questions.

1. a new one, assuming it is still available was like $500. So pretty pricey, and no guarantee that a new one would not turn into the old one fast.

I even thought of heating up and reforming the old one. Problem is that you really need a jig, and that is more expensive/lengthy to fabricate than replacing.

2. I already tried the foam tape trick. The good 3M stuff used to attach emblems. Problem is that it does not stick to the rubber base of the deflector. Nothing I have tried in tape works.

So I still do not have a solution to this problem.

I sold mine when I put on my gobi rack. When I got rid of my rack I bought an aftermarket wind deflector. works like a charm. just measure the one you have then research that exact length wind deflectors. put on with double sided tape. no issues for a year now.

Quick Reply: rattling sunroof plastic wind deflector - H2