Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Questions before buying a hummer

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 01:50 PM
Default Questions before buying a hummer

Hi guys

I have kind of got my heart set on buying a Hummer H2.

I just have a few questions that you guys would be a lot better at answering than any person who is trying to sell their hummer.

I am probably going to buy one anyway even if your answers are all negative, but it would just be good to have some foresight.

I am looking at second hand, 2004 -2006 models with somewhere around 60,000 - 130,000km on the clock.
30 - 80,000 miles
(just realised you guys are probably mostly American and I will have to change these number to imperial measurements)

Also, I do realise that all this info will differ from model to model. I'm just after some general guidelines.

Mileage:

How many liters does the tank have on the Hummer H2?

I have google'd the fuel consumption. But this will only be the fuel consumption of a vehicle that is brand new.
How does this differ to a Hummer that has been around the block? New, modern engines are pretty good these days, but it is a big engine. So I'm just wondering if your hummer is maybe 10% less efficient after 100,000km?

Do many people here have much experience with LPG tanks? I live in Europe where they have pretty much steered away from regular unleaded petrol and I have seen a lot of hummer advertised with a LPG tank in the back.
What kind of mileage do you think you would get on LPG?

Problems
I live in Poland at the moment, everybody here is a **** driver. No exceptions.
I just know that the guy who owned the vehicle before me would have thrashed the engine and has surely not treated it too well.

So I'm curious to know what kind of problems I can expect around the 60,000 to 150,000km mark?

I'm an electrician but I have been working for Caterpillar for 2 years and doing a fair bit of mechanical work. So I'm fairly confident I can take care of a lot of problems on my own. Having the right tools is probably the only thing that would slow me down in that department.

What about getting the software to connect to the onboard computer and check diagnostics on the engine? How easy is this?

Parts

Alright, I am just going to say it... I'm from Australia and I have no idea about driving in the snow. This whole winter treys / summer tires things is still new to me.
So probably a stupid question here: I know this is a 4WD... But will I need to be changing summer tires to winter tires? and if so, how much is a set of new tires for a hummer? (I imagine it is a lot!)

I imagine getting parts for a hummer in Europe is going to be a bit difficult and I will have to get them shipped from the US. But how often are you guys stuck, and not able to find the parts that you need?
I mean, these aren't the most common cars. So there isn't going to be hummer graveyards where you can pick up new mirrors and stuff like that.
I guess what I am really asking is: When you have a problem, is your usual response "****! that is going to be expensive to fix"?
Or is it not so bad?

Features and mods

Reverse parking sensors. Do these exist on hummers? I have kind of gotten used to using them AND driving these small girly European cars.

GPS? I have seen in pictures in the adds that lots of hummers have TVs in the back of the head rests. So I naturally seem there is some on-board computer. Does it come with a GPS? Do you have to pay for software updates?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:12 PM

How many liters does the tank have on the Hummer H2?
Aprox 128 l ( 32g)

just wondering if your hummer is maybe 10% less efficient after 100,000km?
Negative . Mine is reaching the 100,000 miles and still doing the same Mpg ( 11.5)

What kind of mileage do you think you would get on LPG?
No clue on this one

Problems
depending on previous maintenance no mayors problems just small thngs such as front end parts wear , hubs , shocks , inspect diff and tranny fluids before buy

how much is a set of new tires for a hummer?
Yep , you are right ( $1800 last shoes)

how often are you guys stuck, and not able to find the parts that you need
Ussually easy in the states , most parts are compatible with Gm3500 . not sure in your country

Reverse parking sensors. Do these exist on hummers?
Who needs parking sensonrs with a hummer , just smash the cars behind you ( you can add aftermarket )

Does it come with a GPS?
Depending on model , some comes with the dvd , gps and "luxury sound"
Which I get rid off anyway , all the system is outdated , again just install aftermarkets

Good luck

Old 02-06-2015, 03:45 PM

Fuel efficiency depends on many different factors like: K&N Air filter compare to original one, aftermarket big wheels, way of driving'time of the year etc. I don't think so it will be big difference in fuel efficiency after 100.000 compare to new one.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:42 PM

What ever Happened to THIS Guy? Did he Buy one or Not, ask All these Questions & NEVER come back!

Old 03-10-2015, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by mattdillon
What ever Happened to THIS Guy? Did he Buy one or Not, ask All these Questions & NEVER come back!

I'm still lurking.

I got the impression this board moves a bit faster than I thought it would and it would have just gotten lost in countless threads.

I am still ken as **** to buy a hummer.
I am just on the fence a bit when deciding as I will be buying one second hand.

There is a lot out there that have done around 90,000 km to 170,000 km (50-100,000 miles).
I am just not sure how much engine wear that is on a hummer (I haven't ever owned a car that was produced after 1980) and if its worth saving the extra $8,000.

Also this LPG tank. haven't looked into that so much yet. But here in Europe, gas is probably more than double the price it is in the US. So an LPG tank isn't a bad idea. Except for the fact that you would have a 100 liter tank in the back of your car making the space useless.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:43 AM
Default Re Buying A Hummer H2

What do you know just done the same thing, I'm in the UK, so I''l briefly run through your list. Incidentally mine is 2006 with about 63000 and LPG.

Tank size I make 121 liters.
Fuel consumption on petrol is around 11MPG (talking UK gallons) on LPG its around 23 MPG equivalent but depends on fuel prices, LPG in UK fluctuates quite a bit.

My LPG tank is positioned inside where the spare would be, not under the car as some are. Car starts-up on petrol and when the engine is warm the LPG cuts in seamlessly. In the UK we need to get the LPG checked annually.

Problems, I keep getting a check engine light (CAT) but I think it may be related to using LPG. I bought an OBD2 bluetooth adapter (mini ELM327 Amazon) so I can check and clear the codes.

Issues I've had, side mirrors don't pan/tilt or fold (common), sunroof not closing properly (common). Rear washer not working (just repaired - wash/wipe issues common), alloy wheels loosing the chrome (common), front tie-rod on steering needs replacing, air-shocks leaking (common) (purchased spares, quite expensive but easy to change) Washer nozzle missing (replaced at great cost and not easy to do) occasional smell of LPG from I dont know where. Almost every running light and rear number plate light was blown, but easy to replace and fix.

Tires in UK are around £189 each for BFGoodrich

read more: BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO 315/70 R17 121 R » Oponeo.co.uk
The content above is the exclusive property of Oponeo.pl S.A.B
BFGoodrich
BFGoodrich All Terrain

The content above is the exclusive property of Oponeo.pl S.A.BFGoodrich All Terrain

The content above is the exclusive property of Oponeo.pl S.A.all-terrain.

I agree, GPS, bluetooth phone, parking sensors or a reversing camera (back-up camera) would be great but I have none, yet! I'm looking into double DIN systems to provide GPS, Phone, Back-up cam, DVD, radio so one day.

Do I love the H2 - oh yes!

Feel free to ask me any questions, I'm still learning too

Old 03-12-2015, 10:33 PM

@Oceanbrave
"I'm looking into double DIN systems to provide GPS, Phone, Back-up cam, DVD, radio so one day."

Be ready to replace also the Oem Amp and speakers , plus Onstar and chimes will be lost ( Im glad I got rid of the anoying onstart system) ... That Amp will not work perfect without the Oem Unit plus speakers are made to match the Amp

I did the conversion to the double din with Gps ,Cam , BLth etc and ending replacing the whole system , which was worth it anyway

Old 03-13-2015, 04:23 PM
Default Onstar & Chimes

"Be ready to replace also the Oem Amp and speakers , plus Onstar and chimes will be lost"

Thanks for the advice, honestly hadn't considered this. Not sure if Onstar works here in the UK, never heard of anyone having it, but I'd miss the chimes and their authentic touch

Old 03-16-2015, 03:10 PM

I had the Kenwood Excelon DNX891HD Navi receiver installed last year on my '03. It's a great system you can even hook up your XM/Sirius and keep all the factory stuff i.e. steering wheel audio controls, rear passenger control, onstar, chimes, etc. without replacing the oem amp and speakers. I just had to purchase the GM radio replacement interface separately PAC RP5-GM11. The double din head unit consists of hd radio, bluetooth, dvd/cd, garmin navigation, built in iphone, ipod, ipad, android control. You can also connect up to 2 cameras. Good luck!

Old 03-17-2015, 05:36 AM

Thanks ninjarider your post is most helpful and will certainly look at the Kenwood and interface.

Quick Reply: Questions before buying a hummer