Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Possible to retrofit Air Compressor into my H2?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 02:39 AM
Default Possible to retrofit Air Compressor into my H2?

So I have a 2004 h2 that did not come with air ride. However I just bought a 2003 h2 parts truck that has a blown motor and it did come with air ride (although it was converted to coil springs) and it still has the air compressor in the trunk. I was wondering if it’s possible to retrofit the compressor into my working h2? It would be nice to have a built in air compressor to inflate my tires.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:42 PM

it would certainly be possible, although it might be easier to just get an actual kit to do it from an aftermarket.

the h2 with the air ride has self leveling and height adjustment wiring along with ECM data to control it so it wouldnt be a simple plug and play sort of deal. odds are good that a compressor on an 03 has seen better days anyway, esp if it was converted to coils. it either had a bad bag or a bad compressor at that time. plus the little compressor on board is very slow, it was only made to inflate the bags and would take quite a while to inflate a 35" tire 5 psi or more after a trail expedition.

you could mount an aftermarket kit in the same location, use the air nipple and switch in the rear panel to activate it and get air and it would look factory for the tire inflation capability of it.

just my .02 though,
steve

Old 02-13-2019, 09:04 AM

Thanks for the reply. After looking it over it seems more of a pain to retrofit the factory air compressor. I’ll probably end up doing what you suggested and keeping the factory nipple and switch and wiring my own compressor in there. Thanks

Old 02-14-2019, 09:06 AM

good luck, there are a lot of nice compressors out there. make sure you get one that can be mounted outside instead of inside. then you can mount it in the factory location.

steve

Old 02-16-2019, 01:09 AM

a friend in texas with an 05 without air suspension ended up going to a welding shop with one small airtank and had the guys fabricate a small metal base to bolt under the h2 and old the tank . we later routed a hose to the same location where the air outlet is inside the H2 and all he had to do from time to time was fill up the tank at home . the reason he went that route was to avoid the expense on getting a used compresor since they can be pretty pricey to repair .

Old 02-16-2019, 09:51 AM

Just to note there are single and dual compressor versions, your wiring harness will be for a specific one and the main connectore is most likely still there (located underneath RHS rear)

Your ECU will be tied to a specific AS Control Module but I can't say if with other types will run. Using your VIN you may be able to find out from the GM Service manual if you have access to it.

The ECU should re-initialise itself once the AS is connected and the battery re-connected, it should also de-initialise once the battery is reconnected without the AS Module connected.

My 2005 H2 has a dual compressor system (an imprevement over the earlier single compressor systems) and I happens to know the internal operation of AS Control Module in great detail, here is a list of its functions (not generally known) :-1. Compressor Relay Control2. Exhaust Valve Control3. Left & Right Inlet Valves Control4. +5V Reference Power Supply [For sensors]5. Height Sensor Over-Current Monitoring6. Tyre Inflator Control Switch & Lamp Control7. Input Sensor Inputs Monitoring Enable/Disable [Compressor Temperature Sensors & Tyre Inflator Switch]8. Compressor Over-Temperature Detection [Compressor 1 & Compressor 2 O/T Switches]]9. Ignition “On” Detection10. Inlet & Exhaust Control Valves Over-Current Detection 11. Compressor Pressure Measurement [Compressors 1 & 2 Combined]12. Left & Right Ride-Height Measurement13. Ride-Height Switch Monitoring As you can see the AS operation is sophisticated and in my opinion well worth resurecting, springs are OK but AS provides a constant ride-height irrespective of load.

Hope this is helpful to you.