PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

p0300 Hard to Start, Rough Idle, Burning Rich - Solved

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 08:02 AM
Default p0300 Hard to Start, Rough Idle, Burning Rich - Solved

I just fixed a p0300 and this time it was found to be a fuel pressure regulator. The regulator was spitting fuel directly back in to the intake manifold through the vacuum tube making the vehicle hard to start, rough idle (flooding), and burning rich. If you have these symptoms, it's super easy to verify and fix. You can easily check this by following a diagnosis on a similar vortec engine here:

Old 10-04-2018, 01:43 PM

I think I have same issue except my truck starts up ok I think but when i had my injectors cleaned the shop told me my truck is running very rich and I do have a rough idle. I may change out the fuel pressure regulator to see if it fixes my issue too.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by clsimmon
I just fixed a p0300 and this time it was found to be a fuel pressure regulator. The regulator was spitting fuel directly back in to the intake manifold through the vacuum tube making the vehicle hard to start, rough idle (flooding), and burning rich. If you have these symptoms, it's super easy to verify and fix. You can easily check this by following a diagnosis on a similar vortec engine here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5Jrwa64LDU
do you have an ac delco part number?

Old 10-04-2018, 05:13 PM
Old 10-04-2018, 05:48 PM

thank you. I hope this fixes the issue. I’ve changed so many parts with no success.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:53 PM

I have an 08. The only thing I find for an 08 is a fuel pressure sensor. I’m assuming this is same thing.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:04 PM

Just looking at some pictures it looks like the same 6.0L top end, so I would say it should be the same. Rockauto stops listing it after 2003, but it should still be there. Take a look at the driver side of the intake manifold and you will see the regulator sticking off the rail with hose, if you see that I would just get one from the 2003 page.

Also so I just ran down a similar situation, I replaced intake manifold gaskets, new intake manifold bolts were a must (part number 89017368, took me forever to find that, exhaust headers and new bolts (had some broken studs, and new O2 sensors. Finally got it squared away. Doing all the work myself cost roughly $300, with the most being the SS shorty headers for $175. Let me know if you need some more info. Also just a heads up, take a look at your oil dipstick tube to make sure that’s not rotting in half, I had that issue and it was way easier to replace when the headers/manifolds were off.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by coffeydp
Just looking at some pictures it looks like the same 6.0L top end, so I would say it should be the same. Rockauto stops listing it after 2003, but it should still be there. Take a look at the driver side of the intake manifold and you will see the regulator sticking off the rail with hose, if you see that I would just get one from the 2003 page.

Also so I just ran down a similar situation, I replaced intake manifold gaskets, new intake manifold bolts were a must (part number 89017368, took me forever to find that, exhaust headers and new bolts (had some broken studs, and new O2 sensors. Finally got it squared away. Doing all the work myself cost roughly $300, with the most being the SS shorty headers for $175. Let me know if you need some more info. Also just a heads up, take a look at your oil dipstick tube to make sure that’s not rotting in half, I had that issue and it was way easier to replace when the headers/manifolds were off.
thanks. The dip stick was rotted and I replaced it along with new intake manifold studs. The 08 fuel pressure sensor looks nothing like the regulator but I will check my engine tomorrow. Part number 13500744 on rockauto. Check it out if you get the chance.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by mcioci

thanks. The dip stick was rotted and I replaced it along with new intake manifold studs. The 08 fuel pressure sensor looks nothing like the regulator but I will check my engine tomorrow. Part number 13500744 on rockauto. Check it out if you get the chance.
the sensor is not the right part. It goes in gas tank.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:29 PM

Yeah I was about to say, that’s not something that looks familiar to me. That’s not the regulator. So you have the 6.2L, I’m not as familiar with the as the earlier 6.0L and all it’s problems. From what I could find the 6.2 doesn’t have a regulator.

Quick Reply: p0300 Hard to Start, Rough Idle, Burning Rich - Solved