PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

onstar

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 10:36 AM
Default onstar

I have a 2005 Hummer H2 with onstar still installed but not working, the last owner installed a aftermarket stereo which works with the steering controls but I found out that onstar does not interface with the after market stereo. so onstar is not working. My question is I bought an original factory radio to put back in the Hummer so my question is once the factory radio is re-installed will onstar work? second I noticed that I have a mic above the visor drivers side and a small speaker above the drivers side I assume this is to hear and talk to onstar? thank you for any input before I install the factory radio which I had already unlocked. I may have the dealership install the radio have not decided as of yet.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rhodesia
I have a 2005 Hummer H2 with onstar still installed but not working, the last owner installed a aftermarket stereo which works with the steering controls but I found out that onstar does not interface with the after market stereo. so onstar is not working. My question is I bought an original factory radio to put back in the Hummer so my question is once the factory radio is re-installed will onstar work? second I noticed that I have a mic above the visor drivers side and a small speaker above the drivers side I assume this is to hear and talk to onstar? thank you for any input before I install the factory radio which I had already unlocked. I may have the dealership install the radio have not decided as of yet.
I DONT think onststar is still working for out trucks . Since they change the system . I think it becomes digital
Anyway why wouldyou want to pay a fee for such a service . I never see the advantages.
Directions? Almost every radio has GPS
30 mijn hand free calls a month ... is that a joke? .. I got unlimited thru my cell carrier and Bluetooth

Remote control engine shut off , alarm , etc ... any alarrn with an app will do that .

I removed mine without even knowing it wasnt working

Old 11-15-2017, 10:52 PM

I bought the device to interface with the mic and speakers tied into the onstar system. This bypasses, but provides bluetooth functionality to the H2's native mic and speakers. I have these in three of my GM vehicles and love it.

costartech.com - BlueSTAR

Old 11-16-2017, 07:52 AM

I prefer stock radios even though I know there are better aftermarket choices. I also like having OnStar and I use it on our two daily drivers. Since I rarely drive my H2 anymore I have suspended the service on the Hummer. You will probably need to upgrade your 2005 from Analog to digital. I did that on my 03 H2 and it wasn't that expensive. I think 2006 is when they went to a digital OnStar.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by calif phil
I prefer stock radios even though I know there are better aftermarket choices. I also like having OnStar and I use it on our two daily drivers. Since I rarely drive my H2 anymore I have suspended the service on the Hummer. You will probably need to upgrade your 2005 from Analog to digital. I did that on my 03 H2 and it wasn't that expensive. I think 2006 is when they went to a digital OnStar.

I have to agree. I added the factory touch screen and got rid of my factory CD player years ago but it is still OEM. I think its amusing to start hacking things out of stock vehicles then everyone complains about parasitic drains, this doesn't work, that doesn't work yet their factory harnesses have been hacked to death.

Oh well.

To the above posts: OnStar does serve a purpose for me and I believe a great purpose at that. I use it for security even through my 2 isn't my DD anymore but the piece of mind is worth the monthly fee.

any aftermarket alarm will do what OnStar does as mentioned above....not entirely and again you have to cut into so many factory harnesses to install even a remotely decent alarm system. To each their own though. We'll probably see you in the tech section asking why something doesn't work anymore down the road lol.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:54 PM

[QUOTE=LoJac963;348266]I have to agree. I added the factory touch screen and got rid of my factory CD player years ago but it is still OEM. I think its amusing to start hacking things out of stock vehicles then everyone complains about parasitic drains, this doesn't work, that doesn't work yet their factory harnesses have been hacked to death.

Oh well.

Still is easier ad cheap to get a gps to track the truck the new gps even offer engine shut off and many other features .well maybe Im predisposed.. I always hate that screaming girl

Old 12-01-2017, 09:56 PM

For the 08, and 09 trucks you can replace the onstar (VCIM) module with a newer one that has bluetooth.

This way you can use the steering wheel controls, and the factory and even some aftermarket radios but still retain the factory bluetooth through the onstar system which actually works very well.

I think I have 3 of the newer bluetooth modules if anyone is interested...

Old 12-01-2017, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by yrkdmaxh2
For the 08, and 09 trucks you can replace the onstar (VCIM) module with a newer one that has bluetooth.

This way you can use the steering wheel controls, and the factory and even some aftermarket radios but still retain the factory bluetooth through the onstar system which actually works very well.

I think I have 3 of the newer bluetooth modules if anyone is interested...
Why not all, the modules aren’t the same?

Old 12-01-2017, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
Why not all, the modules aren’t the same?
No unfortunately they are different for the 08's, and 09's since they are on the GMT900 platform.

This uses a different style of communication between the various modules.

I also think that the 03-07 models were the analog onstar which has now been shut down in lieu of all digital.