PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok Kids, lets play "find the gas leak"

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 04:26 PM
Default Ok Kids, lets play "find the gas leak"

Many of you might already know I have been chasing a phantom now for a while.

Never once though did I see any liquid on the ground, since this is nothing but an odor i have been chasing. One minute I am smelling gas from the back of the rig, the next it is the front, the next it is in the rig, then it isnt, then everything is fine, then it isnt again.

All these fumes have made me even more loopy
and the lack of a code is made me confused

Well today the phantom shows its ugly face. I went out to the various autoparts stores to see if they have a gas leak sniffers to loan or buy, and I come out to see my truck (which was idling while I was in the store) dripping every 15-30 second one little small drop of fuel (verified!). The drop was coming from the driver side wheel area, close to the suspension, coming off the lower A-arm.
Of course that doesnt mean it came from there, just that it ran down the rigs innerds to get to that spot to drop down.

So kids,
1) where do you think it is coming from
and
2) what would be the steps to fix it.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:07 AM

I bet you have a leaking O ring from one of the fuel line connectors or fuel rail. I hope you get it repaired before you have a fire.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by calif phil
I bet you have a leaking O ring from one of the fuel line connectors or fuel rail. I hope you get it repaired before you have a fire.
+1 Agree... Don't drive it

Old 09-17-2013, 12:45 PM

Your fuel lines run up the drivers side of the frame so that is a safe guess.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:00 PM
Smile

Light the drip and follow the flame back to it's source.

Joke

Old 09-21-2013, 07:16 AM

Well the leak is found. UGH!
After 2 bottles of dye, running it for a while and then waiting til it got dark out... I believe I have found the leak

It turns out the leak is not under the engine to the drivers side, like I originally thought. Thats just where the fuel ran to so it can drip (aka lowest point of the rig).

After putting the front of the Rig up on ramps to level her out, I was able to blue light the trail back. Turns out it is the middle fuel line just above the trans. Right in the bend there is what feels like a dimple instead of a smooth bent tube. I can easily feel this with my fingers. I believe this dimple is actually a smooth crack (or has a crack in it). Of course the more I rubbed on it the more it, the more it leaked (even though I still couldnt actually eel the sharp edge of the crack).

So now the question is.... how hard is it to replace without a lift and dropping the tranny and all that? Is this something that can be done in the driveway? And also, is there a way that I can find the part number for this since I have search the online Nalley GMC part catalog and can not find a picture or a PN for the lines that run above the trans.

Thanks

Old 09-21-2013, 07:29 AM

There are some fuel line repair options now. Check with your local NAPA or Carquest store and see what they can suggest. Keep us posted on your progress.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:52 PM

yes theres fuel line repair kits with compression fittings at your parts stores, you can do it in driveway unless the line is so rusted that replacing the whole length will avoid next leak