PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shocks. Seeking Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 10:48 PM
Default Shocks. Seeking Advice!

Currently have the original shocks on my 2010 H3 Alpha.

Wondering if I should go with OEM or another brand.

Suggestion from the shop is to go with Bilstein which would cost $1K.

H3 has 85K and wondering what benefit these higher priced shocks would give.

Open to suggestions.

Thanks all!

Old 01-19-2018, 07:25 AM

I did OEM on my 2010 Alpha. Got them from Cultrag Performance.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:33 AM
Cool

How you drive your Hummer comes into the decision process. If you off road then the Bilsteins may be worth the extra money but they will most likely be a stiffer ride. I went with Monroe shocks at about 85K miles and they improved the handling a lot. They were also a much less expensive choice than Bilsteins.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:40 AM

BILSTEIN 5100 package from 4WHEEL PARTS is in my opinion a good overall choice at a fair price. Have them on a X ALPHA (nothing but street) and also on a CE that sees both street and trail. Really satisfied. Good luck!

Old 01-19-2018, 01:04 PM

I've tried several brands and it really depends on what you like, want. Your driving style, destination and abilities.
If you primary driving city -

Auto anything has Gabriel ultra HD shocks

Gabriel - G64001
Gabriel - G63965

which are what I installed and got a awesome deal. $88 for all four after rebate and discount. There made by Tennco.
They are exactly like the Rancho 5000. I painted them black before hand. Best part life time warranty. I've already exchanged the front ones and didn't cost me a dime lol!

On the Miss' H3 we put Skyjacker hydraulic 7000. She seems to like em.

On the Jeep Cherokee xj we put cheapo AutoZone over the counter with life time warranty. Have exchanged them once in 4-5 years.

Originally Posted by H32006
Currently have the original shocks on my 2010 H3 Alpha.

Wondering if I should go with OEM or another brand.

Suggestion from the shop is to go with Bilstein which would cost $1K.

H3 has 85K and wondering what benefit these higher priced shocks would give.

Open to suggestions.

Thanks all!

Old 01-19-2018, 03:37 PM

No OffRoad, stick with the OEM shocks for your specific suspension. There are several different suspension options so make sure you get the shocks tuned to your rig.

OffRoad and OnRoad. I have tried so many different shocks in the past 10 years on 6 different H3/H3TS. A lot of shocks! I have to say that the best all around shocks are the Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Sport Shock Absorbers. ARB bought OME so now they are called ARB Sport Shocks. Still made in Australia by OME. 4wheel parts usually has them I stock for immediate shipment.
ARB Sport Shock - 60045 rears $108ea
ARB Sport Shock - 90001 fronts $166ea

Last edited by TAINTER; 01-19-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:35 PM

Thanks all.

No off roading. All city / highway (LA).

Thinking the old shocks have contributed to the short life cycle of my tires which I just replaced (this is the 3rd set).

How should I go about telling the shop to tune to my H3?

Will probably go with OEM.

Thanks again.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:30 PM

No tuning! Your glove box has the build RPOs on the door. Decode it to find out what suspension you have from the factory. RPO Code ZM6 is the Adventure/OffRoad suspension. I forget what the other RPO code is. There are plenty of online RPO decoders. Punch in your #s and it will tell you exactly what options are on your H3.

Shocks are about the easiest items to swap out. Not sure a shop is needed unless you feel it is.

By the way shocks are wear items. Usually don't last more than 50,000 miles before needing to he replaced. New shocks + new tires. If you are going to spend the cash on shocks and tires get an alignment. Also rotate the tires on a regular basis like every 5000 to 10,000 miles. I do ours at every oil change (5000 miles)

Old 01-24-2018, 04:37 PM

On my 3rd set of tires, even while still under warranty, it was never mentioned to change the shocks, which I would have done.

One tire was wearing unevenly, this after roughly 30K miles, so got new tires all around.

I get the tires rotated with every oil change (usually 3K miles).

Will keep that in mind and ensure if I go another 50K to get new shocks.

Thanks all.

Originally Posted by TAINTER
No tuning! Your glove box has the build RPOs on the door. Decode it to find out what suspension you have from the factory. RPO Code ZM6 is the Adventure/OffRoad suspension. I forget what the other RPO code is. There are plenty of online RPO decoders. Punch in your #s and it will tell you exactly what options are on your H3.

Shocks are about the easiest items to swap out. Not sure a shop is needed unless you feel it is.

By the way shocks are wear items. Usually don't last more than 50,000 miles before needing to he replaced. New shocks + new tires. If you are going to spend the cash on shocks and tires get an alignment. Also rotate the tires on a regular basis like every 5000 to 10,000 miles. I do ours at every oil change (5000 miles)

Old 01-25-2018, 09:21 AM

I just removed my front Bilsteins last night after 3K miles... and replaced with Monroe Reflexes front and back - mine is a 2008 ALPHA.

Not sure if yours is leveled or not...mine is at 23.25 and still got vibrations due to the length of travel that the Bilsteins have.

Alot of people praise them... but not I.

Quick Reply: Shocks. Seeking Advice!