Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

New Tranny - checking fluid level

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 03:21 PM
Default New Tranny - checking fluid level

So dealership installed a new (reman) GM tranny in Jan. Due to engine oil leak at radiator (now has a new GM OEM radiator) the radiator was replaced by my mechanic shop. While it was up he noted there was red tranny fluid dripping from where the tranny meets the transfer case. He told me I needed to have it checked. Out of curiosity I checked the fluid level after getting home with it hot. It was showing about an inch above the HOT cross hatch area!! So I used my oil extractor and sucked almost a quart out of it to get it down to the cross hatch area per owners manual instructions. Spoke with my mechanic and he told me there is a pressure relief valve on the top and it was possible if it was overfilled the drips could be from there. Laid a painters cloth and white towel down on the garage floor to see if it keeps dripping or "leaking" (if indeed it blew the rear seal from being overfilled). To date no drips or sign there has been any additional leakage since it was cleaned. So this morning I checked the fluid level 'cold' per manual. Pic shows level I had. Not sure if cold level stops just after the word cold or is the area between line at the word and the bottom (left) line just at the XXHOTXX area. You can see where it was today in the Pic - at yellow arrow. I'm suspecting this is OK, Yes? Yes, gauge shows good "normal" temp when running.

TIA.

Old 03-22-2023, 03:42 PM

You checking transmission fluid level with engine running?

Old 03-22-2023, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
You checking transmission fluid level with engine running?
Yes, I checked it twice 'hot' on different days following OM instructions - after a couple local trips of about 16 miles then parked in the drive. Both checks seemed to be in the HOT area or just above it. Hard to tell as the stick gets "splash" on it while it is running for the hot check. So I wanted to do a cold check after it had sat a few days, again, IAW the OM. Just looking to verify the "cold" area on the dipstick is any area below the checkered HOT area.

Old 03-22-2023, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by PGI Conch
Yes, I checked it twice 'hot' on different days following OM instructions - after a couple local trips of about 16 miles then parked in the drive. Both checks seemed to be in the HOT area or just above it. Hard to tell as the stick gets "splash" on it while it is running for the hot check. So I wanted to do a cold check after it had sat a few days, again, IAW the OM. Just looking to verify the "cold" area on the dipstick is any area below the checkered HOT area.
Best to check running at OPERATING TEMPERATURE, should be within the HOT hash marks(both sides of the indicator). MAX (red arrow):

Old 03-24-2023, 09:16 PM

While your down there check the transfer case to make sure the fluid level is correct in it. An overfilled trans can weep trans fluid into the transfer case. It would be in your best interest to check it also.

If you are checking the fluid as per GM instructions (hot) as HummerZ mentioned and you have no additional leaks I would say you are probably just fine.

Keep a watch on your water temp and trans temp to make sure they are also normal when at operating temperature and if everything checks out I would say the mechanic that either swapped the trans or the one that replaced the radiator did not follow the GM instructions on making sure the trans was filled properly and overfilled it. Either way sounds like you have it fixed.

Old 03-25-2023, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by H2-SUT
While your down there check the transfer case to make sure the fluid level is correct in it. An overfilled trans can weep trans fluid into the transfer case. It would be in your best interest to check it also.

If you are checking the fluid as per GM instructions (hot) as HummerZ mentioned and you have no additional leaks I would say you are probably just fine.

Keep a watch on your water temp and trans temp to make sure they are also normal when at operating temperature and if everything checks out I would say the mechanic that either swapped the trans or the one that replaced the radiator did not follow the GM instructions on making sure the trans was filled properly and overfilled it. Either way sounds like you have it fixed.
Noticed that it is still leaking. Fluid level is OK (within manual specs) hot or cold check. Although I had my pai ters cloth down and wasn't really seeing anything for the last few uses, I did see it appeared wrt the other day, but thought it "could" be from AC drips. So I laid down some white paper towels in the area, Before parking after last use (city & freeway). Backed it out next morning and saw that the paper towels were definitely soaked with red fluid. Called dealership up and it goes back in on Monday.

Old 03-25-2023, 02:08 PM

BTW --- all temps are good when running. And I can't get down - or under - there! Waaaaay too many meals during the past 70 years. My 6 pack abs went to 12 pak then full case size over the years. LOL.....

I'll let the stealership, er dealership that put that tranny in take care of whatever they messed up. Maybe it had a bad seal out of the box.

Old 03-25-2023, 02:14 PM

Do the tranny and Xfer case not have their own respective seals? How would the tranny fluid get into the Xfere case? Would it push through the Xfere case seal? Not familiar enough with the setup to quite understand that. Tranny to drive shat to rear end i understand.

Old 03-25-2023, 02:31 PM

Definitely, take it back to the dealer to find the source of the leak and repair under warranty. Btw, were the transmission cooler lines replaced by the dealer? It's possible the transmission cooler lines are leaking after the radiator was replaced?
Update the results. GL

Old 03-25-2023, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Definitely, take it back to the dealer to find the source of the leak and repair under warranty. Btw, were the transmission cooler lines replaced by the dealer? It's possible the transmission cooler lines are leaking after the radiator was replaced?
Update the results. GL
Apparently was leaking prior to radiator replacement. My mechanic was the one to notice the leakage and bring it to my attention. He told me lines appeared ok. Replaced the radiator due to small weep of the engine oil line (bottom fitting) at the radiator which he couldn't stop with new gasket. Radiator fitting couldn't be fixed. But he did inspect the tranny lines and said there didn't appear to be any leakage from there. Just the drippage at the Xfere case junction.

Quick Reply: New Tranny - checking fluid level