PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Engine After All....lots of info

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 09:06 AM

Good work.

Now put the old engine for sale over on LS1.com and get some of your $$$$ back.

Tim

Old 04-27-2018, 10:01 AM

Thanks for a great writeup! Kudo's for doing your own wrenching too!!!

Old 04-28-2018, 08:17 AM

Looking good. It's nice to see you save yourself $ by doing it yourself. Your rig looks rust free. That must make it nice to work on. Add a new heater hose and wash out the radiator fins to your TO DO list. Keep the pictures coming.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:59 AM

Awesome progress, love all the pics! I do all my own work as well. I think the only thing I've taken mine in for was to have the OEM nav radio programmed to replace my 6-disk.

Can't wait to see more pics. Seeing that engine out made me think.......hmmmmmm, ported/polished heads and all the other fun stuff one could do to a new engine before reinstalling!

You going electric fans or staying with the mechanical? How are you going about replacing all the wiring loom that crumbled? I could go on and on, so exciting!!!! lol.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:58 PM

On mine - when I did the headers a couple of the looms were crumbling. The wiring itself is fine. It was only a couple of them too - the big one coming out of the bottom of the underhood fuse box and one other. I just bought new split loom just like the factory uses to replace it. Pretty easy - just crumble away and remove the remains of the bad stuff cutting and untaping where needed, slide the new loom over the wiring, and re-tape it where needed.

Awesome work on the engine swap too. Yeah - I've thought already along the same lines as LoJac. If it comes to it on mine I'll get the new main block on a stand and do some upgrades like the heads, probably a very mild cam (I still want it good as a daily driver), as well as some other things like better rockers and springs, etc.

One I will be doing this summer is the electric fans conversion. I already have everything I need including the factory series/parallel relay block from a GM pickup that mounts directly to our underhood fuse block and the largest and most powerful factory electric fans available. There are several models of factory dual electric fans for the trucks that all fit the same but some move a lot more air than others (you want the 7 and 9 blade ones from the later 2007+ trucks, not the older 7 and 5 blade ones). At the same time I'll do the trans cooler mod since I'll need to move the trans cooler lines anyways for the electric fans shroud.

Last edited by MixManSC; 04-30-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:25 PM

Can't wait to see that big write up MixMax on that fan setup . Something I've been wanting to do for ages, just haven't pulled the trigger. I was thinking of going aftermarket aluminum radiator with a dual fan setup but the wiring is always a concern of mine. We'll get to that when you're finished up

Old 05-02-2018, 01:32 PM

Old 05-02-2018, 01:33 PM

Old 05-02-2018, 01:35 PM

Old 05-02-2018, 01:46 PM

The above pics pertain to the linkage on the driver’s side.

The bracket that came on the new transmission doesn’t allow enough room for the shift cable to fit properly. This is happening despite giving the VIN to AutoZone.

I made some adjustments to the black, plastic end of the shift cable there are 2 clips that can be removed and then you can slide the black plastic connector back and forth. I compressed the connector as much as possible to “force” the shift cable into place. This is a TEMPORARY fix. Just want to finish this so I can drive the thing and start checking for leaks, proper firing, and basic driveability.

Quick Reply: New Engine After All....lots of info