Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Missing sunroof piece/seal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2021, 02:56 PM
Default Missing sunroof piece/seal?

I have a water leak coming in to both sides of my front A pillars, the usual leak I thought. After sealing everything twice over the last year I have finally found where its leaking from..............On my sunroof track (both sides) there is a small square with an opening that water drains directly down to my headliner and into the corners of the A pillars. It seems as though there is supposed to be a seal or something that is screwed down in that area, as both sides have a screw hole there. Attached are some pic's, pretty self explanatory.......can someone please verify this on their H2 to see if there is something there?

Appreciate any help I can get.

Old 09-26-2021, 05:17 PM

mine look the same

Old 09-26-2021, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, guess I need to further troubleshoot why water is getting in that area in the first place.

Old 09-26-2021, 05:30 PM

maybe you need to check behind the two platic end pieces on the sides of the windshield or the windshield itself if you already checked the sunroof drains at the pillars and the corner cab light wire grommet.

Old 09-26-2021, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
maybe you need to check behind the two platic end pieces on the sides of the windshield or the windshield itself if you already checked the sunroof drains at the pillars and the corner cab light wire grommet.
I've had those pieces off multiple times, windshield is sealed tightly, sealed the light grommet, all new cab light gaskets, etc, etc.......Sunroof drains intact and working properly. Have had everything torn apart and watered everything down with NO leakage anywhere, except when I pour water on top of that sunroof track area. It then immediately runs down to the corner of the headliner.

I'll dig into it further and see why water is getting in there.

Old 09-26-2021, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
mine look the same
I just looked at your picture again, and your H2 seems to have a black weatherstrip type seal, where mine is just bare. I'm wondering if thats my issue.

Old 09-27-2021, 07:08 AM

Mine is exactly the same. As far as I know, those square holes are open.

Old 09-27-2021, 09:09 AM

Those holes are normal. I wish I had taken better photos when I have mine out. Anyways under those holes (and it extends a but further out) is a plastic tray that is the rain gutter which runs the full length down each side and along the front edge. At each back corner and each front corner are nipples that the 4 sunroof drain tubes connect to.

If water is coming in from the sunroof it has to be one of the following:
One of the drain tubes have come off one of the nipples or is not sealing to the nipple.
One of the drain tubes are not flowing freely or totally clogged.
One some sort of blockage sitting in the gutter blocking one of the drain nipples.
The plastic gutter is cracked or possibly one of the nipples are partially or totally broken off.

Old 09-29-2021, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
Those holes are normal. I wish I had taken better photos when I have mine out. Anyways under those holes (and it extends a but further out) is a plastic tray that is the rain gutter which runs the full length down each side and along the front edge. At each back corner and each front corner are nipples that the 4 sunroof drain tubes connect to.

If water is coming in from the sunroof it has to be one of the following:
One of the drain tubes have come off one of the nipples or is not sealing to the nipple.
One of the drain tubes are not flowing freely or totally clogged.
One some sort of blockage sitting in the gutter blocking one of the drain nipples.
The plastic gutter is cracked or possibly one of the nipples are partially or totally broken off.

Sounds to me like the plastic gutters are missing. If I stick a small screwdriver down into the square hole it presses my headliner down. This makes sense, as I think the previous owner had the sunroof out as my sunroof has a small vibration above 70MPH, which means it wasn't "programed/adjusted" correctly after replacement.

MixManSC, you have helped me alot over the past year with your generous posts, really appreciate all you do for this community.

Old 09-29-2021, 11:05 AM

This was the only photo I took that shows the entire frame. You can see the black part (dirty in it) that is the gutter. That part is not directly under the silver track. That hole in the track does go directly to the headliner which is normal....

Also attached are the adjustment instructions for the glass.

Attached Thumbnails Missing sunroof piece/seal?-img_20200520_164433388aa.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Sunroof.pdf (187.2 KB, 18 views)

Quick Reply: Missing sunroof piece/seal?