Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Mileage on your H2

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 08:51 AM

I'm hoping this will go beyond 500k and then some still lots ow work ahead of me

Old 01-30-2020, 07:54 PM

I’m at 169k on my H2, I have 3 questions for you.

1. How have you kept your paint that good, the paint on my hood is almost toast, tons of knocks and some weird spider webbing that’s been there for at least 10 years. Has anything been repainted?

2. How did you paint your frame to look so good, my frame isn’t bad but it sticks out since it’s dirty and has a couple surface rust knicks up in the front where the frame is front and center.

3. What killed your Engine?

Also, what did you use to blacken your plastic wheel wells? That’s a lot of surface area.

Last edited by iwillnc; 01-30-2020 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by iwillnc
my frame isn’t bad but it sticks out since it’s dirty and has a couple surface rust knicks up in the front where the frame is front and center.
Prep/Clean first;my goto product:

Old 01-30-2020, 08:38 PM

See my issue with spray paint is two things,

First, it will look very bad if it’s all peeling in 3 years, and unless you do very in depth prep work I can’t see it working for long.
Then my biggest issue with spray paint is overspray, unless you tape everything up it’s impossible to keep it where it’s suppose to go.

Preferably I would like something that can be painted on by brush.

Old 01-30-2020, 09:18 PM

Prep/clean is a must! Technique is close, short pulse spray, without wind, it will stick, cure, and last a long time on the substrate.

Old 02-03-2020, 09:21 AM

1. How have you kept your paint that good, the paint on my hood is almost toast, tons of knocks and some weird spider webbing that’s been there for at least 10 years. Has anything been repainted?
Not to hijack the thread but there are so many factors which play into this. Is it kept outside, car washes regularly, paint protector, etc. When mine was my DD here in AZ it would be kept in the garage but I always washed it at least once a month by hand and applied wax. Once she became garaged and only taken out for certain occasions I took the time to do a 5 step cut and buff which really livened the paint up. Brought an deep immense shine back and took a lot of the orange peel out. I am still in the process of glaze, sealant, and wax once this current coat of wax is gone.

Old 02-05-2020, 02:46 PM

Jan 31, 2020. 2006 H2 that I bought in February 2019 with 27,606 miles on it.

Old 02-05-2020, 06:55 PM

2. How did you paint your frame to look so good, my frame isn’t bad but it sticks out since it’s dirty and has a couple surface rust knicks up in the front where the frame is front and center.

3. What killed your Engine?

Also, what did you use to blacken your plastic wheel wells? That’s a lot of surface area.
1. The paint is not perfect but over all its holding up. Few rust patches on left/right rear side and a few on the roof. I too have lots of knocks, dents etc especially on the hood. Again not all that bad but if you look closely u can see them. Never painted so it's all original. Debating if I will repaint of simply wrap it. Not that knowledgeable about wrapping.

2. This is all work done on my driveway. I sanded all rust, as far as all frame that is visible and reachable. Used many cans of primer and just standard spray paint. Long process for sure and Def dirty job. Still some spots left to finish it all off. Took many many weeks, few hrs at a time.

3. That I'm not 100 percent sure about. This was originally my father in laws truck. One time he took it to get some work done at a shop and apparently they did something that killed the engine. They replaced it for free! I believe it was around 200k miles or so.

4. What I did is take it all out and cleaned it with a drill. Bought some attachments to strip all the rocks, and crap that accumulated over all the years. Then used a smoother paint stripper and buffed the plastic out really nice. Have to be careful not to over heat the plastic as it will deform.

I'll take pics tomorrow of what I used in the above. It was Def and still is, a fun project.

Last one currently being cleaned.

Lost track of the number of primer and paint i went through, wow.

Old 02-05-2020, 09:02 PM

a needle scaler helps a lot with chassis rust flakes.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel Z
4. What I did is take it all out and cleaned it with a drill. Bought some attachments to strip all the rocks, and crap that accumulated over all the years. Then used a smoother paint stripper and buffed the plastic out really nice. Have to be careful not to over heat the plastic as it will deform.

Last one currently being cleaned.
I see the pads you're using to remove debris, do you mind sharing what stripper type you used? Also what are you buffing with? Compound? They look AMAZING.

Quick Reply: Mileage on your H2