Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Lifter noise, exhaust leak, flex plate, or something worse? 2008

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 01:27 PM
Default Lifter noise, exhaust leak, flex plate, or something worse? 2008

I’ll attach a video of the noise as best I can. All you hear is normal lifter noise at the top of the engine, but below on the left and right side it is almost a highish pitched chip knock. When inside you hear it when mildly accelerating or revving. You can’t hear it too well inside on this clip as it’s worse when it’s cold, but it is still there. Inside it almost sounds like a diesel though not quite as pronounce. I don’t believe it’s spark knock. I had that problem a while ago when the supercharger intercooler ran out of coolant.
I’ve been hearing this noise since 61k miles right after I bought it. Currently sitting at 94.5k.

https://youtu.be/CXjHD47IHGU

Old 07-07-2021, 04:19 PM

Cracked exhaust manifold or broken exhaust manifold studs can add quite a bit of audible internal engine noise. Might very well not be the issue though...

Old 07-07-2021, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
Cracked exhaust manifold or broken exhaust manifold studs can add quite a bit of audible internal engine noise. Might very well not be the issue though...
I will go and check with some soapy wooder right now. The entire exhaust is almost completely rust free but the manifold seems pretty rusted.

Old 07-07-2021, 06:02 PM

Update: I can definitely hear a prominent exhaust leak. It is probably due to the entire missing bolt on the rear drivers side. But I do know and recognize that tick. The sound I’m concerned about is coming from the passenger side it seems. I don’t notice any leaks there. Also it sounds a little deeper and more substantial. I’m not ruling out the possibility of an exhaust leak, but it sounds like a 6.7 power stroke idling. It gets quieter when it warms up but is definitely there. Almost like piston slap but I’m not sure. Does that happen after the engine warms up?

Old 07-07-2021, 06:22 PM

Fix the exhaust leak first, then recheck!

Old 07-07-2021, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Fix the exhaust leak first, then recheck!
That would be the smart thing to do. I’ll see if I can get a bolt. The only problem is that’s my one thing I leave broken. If I fix it… something else will break. You know how it goes on older vehicles. 😂

Old 07-07-2021, 06:37 PM

Or you could clamp it.

Old 07-07-2021, 06:52 PM

Btw, the set is all over ebay cheap! Look for these parts: Exhaust Manifold Bolt Repair Kit For Driver's Front /Rear Passenger Front/Rear

Old 07-07-2021, 08:59 PM

an also just use a strip of paper and pass it around the exhaust and manifolds. if it starts dancing you have a leak. do you think the passenger side catalytic is breaking apart and the chunks are ringing in the exhaust?

Old 07-07-2021, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Btw, the set is all over ebay cheap! Look for these parts: Exhaust Manifold Bolt Repair Kit For Driver's Front /Rear Passenger Front/Rear
I found one for 6 bucks at my local auto zone. Dorman part number 03413

Quick Reply: Lifter noise, exhaust leak, flex plate, or something worse? 2008